Author Topic: Dav's IDE  (Read 4220 times)

Offline Fifi

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
    • My small QB64 contribution
Dav's IDE
« on: October 11, 2018, 04:15:21 pm »
Hi all,

I'm playing a little bit with the Dav's IDE and I like it.

Now, since it's an interesting alternative to the QB64 original IDE, it's (for now) a Windows only program (and that os isn't my cup of tea).

So, although I do not know the programming language that Dav used to develop it (I suspect C or C ++), is it possible to easily adapt this IDE to Linux and OS/X (unless that there are many calls to purely Windows APIs)?

Cheers.
Fifi
It's better to look like an idiot for a short time while asking something obvious to an expert than pretending to be smart all your life. (C) Me.

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
Re: Dav's IDE
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 04:39:34 pm »
Hi all,

Now, since it's an interesting alternative to the QB64 original IDE, it's (for now) a Windows only program (and that os isn't my cup of tea).

So, although I do not know the programming language that Dav used to develop it (I suspect C or C ++), is it possible to easily adapt this IDE to Linux and OS/X (unless that there are many calls to purely Windows APIs)?

Cheers.
Fifi

IIRC it's written in SmallBasic, so Windows-only.
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline RNBW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 04:24:06 am »
Hi all,

Cheers.
Fifi

IIRC it's written in SmallBasic, so Windows-only.

Could Dav please clarify, because I read in earlier posts that his IDE was written in Purebasic.

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 10:56:57 am »
You're right.  https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php?topic=617.msg4839#msg4839

It's in Purebasic, not SmallBasic.  My apologies.  It seems my memory isn't what it used to be these days.  :(
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline RNBW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 12:56:02 pm »
Join the club!

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 01:32:26 pm »
I forgot where we meet.

Offline Fifi

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 05:30:12 pm »
Hi all,

It's in Purebasic, not SmallBasic.  My apologies.  It seems my memory isn't what it used to be these days.  :(

OK. Then since Dav' IDE is written with PureBasic and this compiled language is available for both Linux and OS/X as well as Windows, would it be possible to get the executables for Linux and OS/X or to get the sources to make it for Linux and OS/X (accordingly to the PureBasic home page, the source are immediately portable from one OS to the others).?

TIA.
It's better to look like an idiot for a short time while asking something obvious to an expert than pretending to be smart all your life. (C) Me.

Offline RNBW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 04:44:19 am »
Hi all,

OK. Then since Dav' IDE is written with PureBasic and this compiled language is available for both Linux and OS/X as well as Windows, would it be possible to get the executables for Linux and OS/X or to get the sources to make it for Linux and OS/X (accordingly to the PureBasic home page, the source are immediately portable from one OS to the others).?

TIA.
Only Dav can answer.  Although Purebasic is multi-platform, it is probable that the IDE contains Windows only specific calls and  Dav may only work with Windows.

Offline Fifi

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 06:14:00 am »
Hi all,

Only Dav can answer.  Although Purebasic is multi-platform, it is probable that the IDE contains Windows only specific calls and  Dav may only work with Windows.

Anyone has the Dav' e-mail address?

TIA

Offline Dav

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 06:50:13 am »
Hi everyone. I'm glad you like the IDE. DavsIDE is written in PureBasic v4.51. It relies heavily on a library and windows API calls, which makes porting it to other OS's a real headache.  It would be better to start from scratch in those OS's, and you'd probably end up with a better IDE too.

- Dav

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 06:52:07 am »
Just out of curiosity, I installed Purebasic, on my Linux Mint 64 machine. Installation was relatively uneventful except for some necessary library installs...

Ran the examples and some worked better than others. Some gave an "invalid memory access" error... But the examples that did run, ran quite well... But because of the errors, I doubt I will keep it loaded... Research indicates that the errors are attributed to possible driver issues with the video card or the video card itself...

The subject of Purebasic was raised and figured that you guys might like to know.... Sorry to interrupt your discussions...

J
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 08:22:43 am »
Hi
is there  a translator from PureBasic to QuickBasic, Basic PDS 7.1 or QB64 , or to C++ (.cpp)?
It may be a way to port fantastic Dav's Ide into QB64 multiplatform universe.
Programming isn't difficult, only it's  consuming time and coffee