Author Topic: QB64 Bounty List  (Read 3446 times)

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
QB64 Bounty List
« on: April 08, 2022, 10:29:06 am »
Just a few days ago, I had the misfortune of having to fill up my tractor's fuel tank from being almost empty.  400 gallons @ almost $5.00 per gallon...  And then a sinking feeling hit the core of my gut as I realized I was going to have to repeat such an experience dozens of times this year.  /cry

By the time this harvest season comes around in fall, I'm predicting that we're going to see increases in the price of staple foods by everything doubling, if not more at that time!

"And how's this ever rising inflating relate to QB64 and its development?", you guys ask.

It's all because I realize the Devs are people too!  They're going to be facing the exact same financial crunch as everybody else in the world, and QB64 is nothing more than a hobby project.  Who's going to have time to spend on hobbies, when they're working their ass off just to try and keep food on the table?!!

So, that's when an idea came to me that sounds like a Win-Win for everyone involved:  A QB64 Bounty List!

Got some extra cash laying around?  Are you, like me, one of those whose prepared no matter what the future brings?  I've had a lifetime to save and put aside for hard times, so I can comfortably coast through the next several years of my life and weather the increasing inflation.  Others aren't as fortunate -- such as some student struggling to make ends meet while working their way through college.  They might have skills to work on QB64 in places which I don't, but they simply don't have time to devote to working on things due to having to take a part-time job at McDonalds just to keep the bills paid.

So here's my proposal -- A "Bounty System", where people can pledge to donate $$$ for whatever fix, enhancement, or addition they wish to see for the QB64 language.  It'll give Devs a little extra cash for small projects, keep the development of QB64 going, and gives the user-base a chance to help guide what/where the language should go next.  It's a win-win for everyone!

To start us out, I'd like to place a bounty on the following issues:

1) $100 Bounty for a fix to each of the input commands we use.  As they currently exist, each of them is flawed in various ways.  For instance here's one to illustrate the problem with _KEYHIT:

DO
    k = _KEYHIT
    IF k <> 0 THEN PRINT k
    _LIMIT 30
LOOP

Run the above in the IDE, and hold down CTRL and press TAB.  The Tab key is a keycode 9 key.  When it goes down, it should print 9, when it comes up, it should print -9.  Instead, what we see is:  NO keycode for the down press.  Nada.  Zip.  QB64 simply does not report that tab key being depressed at all.  For the key release, it reports a value of -105 -- which is the I key!   CTRL-TAB is *both* unmapped AND mismapped. and it's an excellent example of the problem the command has.

I'll pay $100.00 to whoever wants to go in and fix _KEYHIT so that it maps all the possible keystrokes correctly -- for both up and down states, in the various operating systems we compile to.  I'll also offer $100.00 for the exact same fix to INKEY$ and _DEVICES, making a total of $300 for the three commands to be repaired fully.  From my memory, Inkey$ does the same mismapping of values and _DEVICES is completely screwed up with codes being nothing as they should be to maintain backwards compatibility  with older versions of QB64 (prior to version 1.0 when the glitch was introduced), and it doesn't read various keys at all.

2)  I'll also offer a $100.00 bounty for whomever wants to go in and fix our fonts for us.  The issue here is with various fonts being cut-off and not rendering properly.  I don't have an example ready at the top of my hand, but I'll dig one up of someone wants to tackle the issue.  Basically, with various fonts, letters get truncated off.  The bottom of the "g" might lose several pixels, or the top of an embellished T is completely cut off...   Fix that, earn $100.00

3) I'll also offer another $25.00 bounty for whomever wants to go in and fix our _LOADIMAGE command.  At the moment, it's impossible to load 256-color images -- they automatically convert over to 32-bit images.  It'd be nice for loadimage to work fully like its supposed to.  I think this should be a small fix (as we apparently load the image first and then convert them to 32-bit somewhere automatically), so it's a smaller bounty.

That's all my poor wallet can afford to place a bounty on at the moment, and as for me personally, I'm rather content with what QB64 can already do for me.  I'm not really pushing for any sort of "future development"  (besides a desire for someone to import a video playback library for us via a _LOADVIDEO command, or for someone to fully integrate a text-to-speech system for us), but I encourage any with a little extra cash to post their own "bounties" here for the Devs to look over and work on. 

QB64 is free.  Users don't pay anything for it; yet there's always a large list of things which people want added to it.  I see nothing wrong with offering a few $$$ towards enhancing or promoting development of the project.  The more people who are willing to donate and place bounties on things, the more Devs can treat QB64 as more than just an occasional hobby-project.

Is there anyone else out there willing to donate for a "fix" to something that's been bugging them?  Or willing to donate to have a feature added you've been dying for?  Is there anyone willing to pick up these Bounties and earn a little extra cash on the side, while helping the language grow and expand over time?

I guess only time will tell!
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
Re: QB64 Bounty List
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 11:50:29 pm »
I'd like the _KEYHIT thing fixed, too... but it should cost 5-cents. Sorry, I'm a bit like Lucy, that way.

$5.00? What the hell are you complaining about? It's $7.50 out in my neck of the non-woods. Lucky for me, living in California, I drive a Hummer, but it identifies as a Prius.

I won't argue the other side of the pay for play QB64 idea, as that would be Mutiny on the Bounty, and there's the whole copyright issue going on there, so... What I will say is this wouldn't be necessary, if Trump were still in the White House. So where can we download the "I did that!" sticker, of Joe Biden, to put on your post?

Oh, and get an electric tractor! If you're out plowing in the rain, just make sure it has good shock absorbers.

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline Qwerkey

• Forum Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 05:19:36 am »
I'm thinking that @SMcNeill has been growing exotic produce on that farm and that he has been smoking it.  Steve wants to pay up for fixes??  He should, if anything, be being paid for all his contributions to QB64.

@Pete Mutiny on the Bounty?  Lovely!

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 07:51:21 am »
Last week, he in Melbourne Australia, our fuel cost was $2.20 per Litre - 4.8 litres per gallon - that's roughly AU$10.56 per gallon (Almost US$7.90)

So many complaints about the cost of fuel, combined with the fact that more and more people limited the use of their cars and effecting the profits of the fuel companies, that the Government had to remove a portion of sales tax from the fuel just to get people back on the road... But, I suspect an ulterior motive... Our Federal elections are happening in November....

Steve. Just 'one' tractor, right? Man, that is a ton of money... and many times a year! I cringe just thinking about it....
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 08:21:07 am »
Steve. Just 'one' tractor, right? Man, that is a ton of money... and many times a year! I cringe just thinking about it....

Yep -- just one tractor, and it doesn't measure miles per gallon -- more like gallons per mile! 

Steve wants to pay up for fixes??  He should, if anything, be being paid for all his contributions to QB64.

I've been fortunate -- I'm one of the few who has managed to use the project to earn some money from it.  Several years back I got to write a program for the local Historical Society to help them organize their data and search and find records, and I used QB64 to write just about their whole system.  The language and the community has been good to me for multiple years, and this is just my little way of giving back to it.   

I've tried to dig into these issues myself, but they're deeply embedded into the C-side of things and beyond my realm of expertise.  Since I can't personally fix the issues, and since they bug the heck out of me and interfere with some of the things which I'd like to be able to do with the language, it just makes sense for me to donate some of my discretionary spending to help encourage someone to step forward and fix the issues.  ;)

Oh, and get an electric tractor! If you're out plowing in the rain, just make sure it has good shock absorbers.

I saw one of those at a trade show several years back -- it had enough juice in it to run just long enough to unplug it from the charger to start it up, put it in drive, and then park it so you could put it back into the charger!  When your tractor is built more like a tank or a bulldozer than a car, they simply can't put batteries big enough in it for it to do much more than make a nice lawn ornament...

https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline Dimster

• Forum Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2022, 10:24:39 am »
Do you feel Steve that there may be some unintended consequences if each person in our community commissions changes to satisfy a pet peeve?
I have tons of frustrations with my coding, or my lack of creative imagination to work with what is already there in the Basic language. So I tend to turn to the wiki or this community to help get me back to basics. I'm thinking a bounty to change/add/alter for my person massage of the language could make the wiki info outdated and unreliable, and if I pay enough money it would lead to a break in the backward compatibility. I know you have an easy fix to the consequence of wiki update and backward compatibility .... pay a bigger bounty to undo everything the Dimster has commissioned.

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2022, 10:51:36 am »
I don't think you have to worry about that @Dimster.  The "official" QB64 project still has folks at the head of it who can always speak up and nix an idea or revert it from the repo.  There's nothing to stop you from paying someone to make you a personal version of QB64 with a _HelloWorld command built into it, as QB64 is completely open source -- but the official Dev team doesn't have to accept those changes in the repo.

There's not a lot of limitations that Galleon set on how to develop or expand QB64, but one of the main points was: You can't add/alter anything that will break backwards compatibility.  For instance, I've never been content with InstrRev terminating with a -1, like the rest of our commands which terminate with a 0.  Unfortunately, it's now documented in the wiki, and exists in such a manner in folk's code.  Changing it now would break their old programs, and so, it doesn't change -- even though I personally mod my own version of QB64 to always terminate with 0.

If you pay to add XYZ feature to the language, and the Devs allow that feature into the official repo, then nobody's going to be able to pay a larger bounty to undo it. 

Offline Dimster

• Forum Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2022, 11:00:43 am »
Oh, so all the changes I would commission would only apply to me ... couldn't share my creations with others UNLESS the proposed change would go through an approval process???

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2022, 11:38:46 am »
Oh, so all the changes I would commission would only apply to me ... couldn't share my creations with others UNLESS the proposed change would go through an approval process???

I imagine they would probably go through to start with, but if they broke something or were undesirable, the team would go and revert them out and say, "No-no."

Of course, you also have to remember, the same folks read and moderate the forums here also.  I'd imagine that if someone truly started pushing for unacceptable modifications, they'd be notified why those changes weren't allowed even before somebody else could accept the job and complete it.

Just having a job remain on the forums itself, is probably what you could consider the first stage in approval to altering the official repo.

Offline STxAxTIC

• Library Staff
  • Forum Resident
  • he lives
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2022, 11:52:00 am »
Where's Mennonite? if he still feels the way he does, I see a DO:PROFIT:LOOP scheme here... (I'll let Steve explain the history.)
You're not done when it works, you're done when it's right.

Offline Cobalt

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
  • At 60 I become highly radioactive!
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2022, 04:41:41 pm »
Last week, he in Melbourne Australia, our fuel cost was $2.20 per Litre - 4.8 litres per gallon - that's roughly AU$10.56 per gallon (Almost US$7.90)

FYI 3.8l per gal.
but still a hell-of-a-lot of money.
Granted after becoming radioactive I only have a half-life!

Offline madscijr

• Seasoned Forum Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2022, 01:46:33 pm »
So, that's when an idea came to me that sounds like a Win-Win for everyone involved:  A QB64 Bounty List!

This is actually a pretty interesting idea, and one I have thought about in the past for other software but like a million ideas got forgotten in the slipstream of busy life.

I'd have to give some thought to what missing features are bugging me or need fixing most, but I'll add that maybe in addition to cold hard $, some people can just barter stuff that a developer could use? Just an idea. As the economy feels the pinch, people might have a harder time coming up with extra dough, but also the busier we get the harder it becomes to find time to sell your stuff on ebay!

Another barter idea might be to barter _skills_. Maybe someone doesn't know C or how QB64 works under the hood, but they can help by writing functions in QB64 to help solve some of these problems - then someone who does know the lower level stuff can compile it, take the resulting C code, and optimize it? Just an idea.

Or barter non-programming skills - if a developer needs help with some other tool or task, to free up time to work on a given fix?

Anyway, interesting idea @SMcNeill !

Offline Mad Axeman

• My web site - Harrythetrout
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2022, 05:11:46 pm »
Petrol here in the UK works out at around $10.62 a gallon at current exchange rate.
If anything comes of this 'pay per fix' then I have got a few things I would like to see mainly concerning pdf files, barcodes and qrcodes.
Oh look - a sig file :-)

Offline madscijr

• Seasoned Forum Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2022, 05:15:09 pm »
Petrol here in the UK works out at around $10.62 a gallon at current exchange rate.
If anything comes of this 'pay per fix' then I have got a few things I would like to see mainly concerning pdf files, barcodes and qrcodes.

Anything that makes qb64 more useful for business apps or practical day to day usefulness can't be bad!

Offline keybone

• Forum Regular
  • My name a Nursultan Tulyakbay.
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2022, 06:42:58 pm »
Just a few days ago, I had the misfortune of having to fill up my tractor's fuel tank from being almost empty.  400 gallons @ almost $5.00 per gallon...  And then a sinking feeling hit the core of my gut as I realized I was going to have to repeat such an experience dozens of times this year.  /cry

I am from a Kazakhstan, we follow the hawk.