Author Topic: Zelda - The Legend of GX  (Read 2747 times)

Offline dbox

Zelda - The Legend of GX
« on: December 27, 2021, 05:43:53 pm »
Since there are a number of zelda projects currently in-progress, I thought I'd put together a little version as a shameless plug for GX.  One of my current game projects is actually a NES mashup that will have crossover from a number of titles.  So I already had the map built using the GX map editor.  This version will let you walk the entire overworld map.  As an example I've also implemented the lost woods maze.  There are triggers on the map for all of the cave and dungeon entrances.  At the moment this will take you to an empty cave map.  (I haven't built any dungeon maps.)  If you exit the cave it reloads the overworld map and puts you back in the right spot.

Use the arrow keys to walk around.  You can press F1 to toggle debug mode.

I'd be interested in any feedback.  If you'd like to use this in your own projects, you are more than welcome.
* zelda-gx.zip (Filesize: 2.29 MB, Downloads: 177)
zelda-gx-debug.png
* zelda-gx-debug.png (Filesize: 25.09 KB, Dimensions: 514x507, Views: 205)
zelda-mapmaker.png
* zelda-mapmaker.png (Filesize: 101.92 KB, Dimensions: 1127x817, Views: 248)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 05:56:47 pm by dbox »

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
Re: Zelda - The Legend of GX
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 06:08:33 pm »
Although I am not a fan of Zelda I think you have done a splendid job so far. Very impressive. Well done!
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.

Offline dbox

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 06:14:37 pm »
Thanks @johnno56!  Some of the motivation for publishing GX was to make it easier to build games in QB64 and participate in game jams which I think I've seen you encouraging in the past on the forum.  Seems like a good way to increase interest in QB64 as a gaming platform.

So top down games are not your thing.  What game type do you like best?

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 06:09:36 am »
Hmm.. Tough choice as I have played so many games in the past... Ever since I watched the introduction of personal computers, I have always wanted to play games... I found board games fascinating. Not knowing how they were programmed at the time. But, when "3D" games were advertised, like Wolfenstein 3D and Doom, I was sold... I still play Wolf3D and Doom to this day... So, let me think.... lol

J
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.

Offline STxAxTIC

• Library Staff
  • Forum Resident
  • he lives
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 10:32:32 am »
Wonderful flex dbox, we need to see more of this kind of thing!

You make a great point about using this kit for game jams. Competitions are incredibly daunting when using QB64 for obvious reasons. We have to handroll everything where meanwhile the competitors take pygame as a start point.

If this project is bulldogged properly, and repetitiously brought to everyone's attention, we may attract more *actual* game-making personalities to pick up and use this thing. I wonder what the Donald Fosters of the world (one of our resident game making guys) would do with a full-fledged engine like this.

Keep pounding away, you have (at least my) full encouragement!

You're not done when it works, you're done when it's right.

Offline Colonel_Panic

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 08:41:54 pm »
siskel and ebert? give this one two thumbs up!

Offline dbox

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 07:27:50 am »
The GX publish to web feature has gotten some recent updates allowing it to convert more GX games (and even some generic QB64 apps) to a web version.  You can view the web version of this game here:

https://boxgm.itch.io/the-legend-of-gx

NOTE: It may take a few minutes for the game to load the first time after you click start.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 07:40:57 am by dbox »