Author Topic: A "bug" in the instructions? Maybe some kind of tweak would help?  (Read 1999 times)

Offline CharlieJV

Hello,

My first time installing InForm, I was getting compile errors toward the end of the process.  For some reason, after the manual compilation step below (found in this post) got InForm working A-1.

Code: QB64: [Select]
  1. qb64 -x /opt/qb64/InForm/UiEditorPreview.bas -o /opt/qb64/InForm/UiEditorPreview

To submit a bug report, I decided to do a full QB64 + InForm install in another folder (don't be alarmed; I just quickly called the folder "bad_qb64" to remind me to delete it later) to get some screenshots.

This time around, no compile errors.

So no bug in the software/technology/scripts, however there is something not quite right with the documentation because I got tripped up this time around the same as the first time in the process of unpacking the InForm tar.gz file.  Both times, I've had to move the unpacked files to the right folder.  The first time, I likely made a mistake in manually copying the files, causing compile errors.  The second time, I was much more careful with my manual copying.

Screenshot 2021-11-24 5.00.44 PM.png

Working from the "bad_qb64" directory ...

By unpacking InForm-1.3.tar.gz into the qb64 folder, an "InForm-1.3" folder got created there, and all files/directories related to InForm wound up in the InForm-1.3 folder, instead of in the qb64 folder (where the QB64 binary exists.)

So this is where I got confused both times installing InForm (i.e. getting results that don't match the instructions), and had to do manual moving of files InForm files/subfolders to the QB64 directory, obviously botching that manual job the first time (i.e. them InForm compile errors towards end of process).

Anyway, all of that to say that there's something about the instructions that are tripping me up and, although I may be especially easy to confuse, it might be a good idea to fix up the instructions for the next old fella like me that comes around.

OR: it seems that creation of the tar.gz file starts at "InForm-1.3" folder level, and needs to start one level deeper?

Cheers and best regards !

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
Re: A "bug" in the instructions? Maybe some kind of tweak would help?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 08:27:52 pm »
Hi CharlieVJ

waiting good tips from the author and from Linux experienced QB64 friends
I can affirm that strangely QB64 installation and the same for  VWATCH and Inform is more difficult in Linux OS (the free operative system ) than in Windoz...
good luck for installation, in my WM I had done different trying before to geti it worked.
Now it is ok, but I have been helped by expert Linux users to get this.
Programming isn't difficult, only it's  consuming time and coffee

FellippeHeitor

Re: A "bug" in the instructions? Maybe some kind of tweak would help?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 09:32:21 pm »
Well, instructions on the download page used to be even less detailed. I'm open for suggestions. How would you guys clarify it?