Author Topic: Getting new computer with SSD, where to put QB64, are there gotcha's  (Read 9289 times)

Offline xra7en

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Getting new computer with SSD, where to put QB64, are there gotcha's
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2021, 11:14:33 pm »
something i've done for years:

first all my rigs have multiple drives, recently I've replaced the OS drive with SSD, and that is all that uses it. On rare occasions, I will run some AAA game on that, but outside of that strictly OS

All my dev apps are on one (spinning) drive, many still there dating back to the early BBS's days of the '90s!!! Needless to say, that drive is bitlockered up LOL!!  and all my games are on another (hey!! I'm a gamer.. what can I say. do pro work all day - its my escape hehe)

Been doing this since the '90s and my stuff is still there - I do like SSD's but the limited R/W keeps me from using the drive other than an OS' drive.

just my $0.5c worth :P
I just like re-writing old DOS book games into modern QB64 code - weird hobby, I know!

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
Re: Getting new computer with SSD, where to put QB64, are there gotcha's
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2021, 08:14:47 pm »
In my opinion, both HDD and SSD's, are amazing tech. In theory, the hard drive will never wear out (the media - not the mechanism) because technically, the heads are never in contact with the disc. SSD's have no moving parts. Apart from the potential mechanical problem with HDD's and Memory fatigue with SSD's both pieces of tech are pretty cool... But for me, I'm "old school", when it comes to Drives. HDD's for system (reliability). Suggest use SSD's for system backups/storage etc... But that's me...

I'll call your $0.05 and raise you another 5c... Moo Ha Ha....
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.