Author Topic: [dev build] IDE (general) preserve user inserted spaces  (Read 3503 times)

Offline Richard

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
[dev build] IDE (general) preserve user inserted spaces
« on: October 02, 2021, 10:59:10 pm »
@FellippeHeitor

I thought that a long time ago that with the IDE one could choose between using the auto-tabbed indents and not at all auto tab. If I recall correctly it was not practical for me since if I created code without the auto tabs and accidently loaded the program without disabling the IDE auto-tab feature then all my "manual custom spaced out code" would be auto-tabbed and would not maintain the "column line ups" I previously set up beforehand for the code layout.

Partly along the lines of above - feature request as a IDE flag - still having auto-tab (as is as present), if IDE flag is set, force the IDE NOT TO reformat the current line to the standard tab/spacing processing rules (as is now present) and allow the file to be saved with the (hybrid) auto-tab (as standard with the IDE) together with my "custom spacing "over-ride"".

Although I could write my entire program (with my custom added spaces where I really want them) using say NotePad - it is a pity not to be able to use your fantastic IDE in the manner (custom spacing override) for this purpose.

Of course, if I ever accidently change the IDE flag then I will lose the custom program formatting. (In my case it would be likely that "forever" I would leave the flag set - as any existing auto-tabbed/spaced formatted program ever written would still display as originally intended.)

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
Re: [dev build] IDE (general) preserve user inserted spaces
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 12:06:37 am »
Can’t you still turn off auto-formatting in one of the options?  It was still there the last time I checked.
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline Richard

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 12:30:37 am »
@SMcNeill

I am using the latest [dev builds] - I cannot seem to find the auto-formatting.

In any case the auto-formatting will provide >95% of my formatting needs (and so saves a very lot of time formatting) - and I really want to have the ability to on the 5% of times to over-ride the auto-formatting by manually adding in spaces.

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 04:50:05 am »
Options->Code layout.

Offline Richard

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 05:53:05 am »
@FellippeHeitor

So in code layout if I uncheck Auto-spacing - I get desired result of manual over-ride with spaces.

However I cannot have keywords in CAPITALS (my preference) together with manual spaces.

Also if I am not careful and accidently check auto spacing then a lot of effort in manual spacing over-ride is lost forever.

I also tried editing the config.ini file (which is the best way for me to hard-code the set up to prevent accidental changes) and although I can  have IDE_KeywordCapital = TRUE and IDE_AutoFormat = FALSE   the IDE does not make the keywords capital (does allow the manual spacing).

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 08:43:14 am »
Code layout is responsible for both aspects, keyword capitalization and alignment. They are intertwined across the whole of QB64.bas and are dependent upon each other, that’s why checking one affects the other in the Code Layout box. You can have alignment without capitalization, but not the other way around. Sorry.

Offline Richard

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 11:47:42 am »
@FellippeHeitor

Thanks for the explanation.

What you have is still very useful for my needs.

So if I type keywords in capitals as I normally do anyway (with manual spaces setting) - everything meets my requirements. Even search/change lower case keywords to capitals also appears to work.

So essentially your coding does allow what I want - many thanks.