Author Topic: QB64 competitors... It is an hard life!  (Read 13665 times)

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
QB64 competitors... It is an hard life!
« on: September 27, 2021, 04:58:44 am »
Hi boys and girls of QB64
I'm writing here for my disappointment.
Yes because I see growing up this community and QB64 everyday.
The efforts (also made in hobbyistic manner) so professional both of developers both of you, people of QB64 community, are intensive and continuous.
Here the cause of my disappointment : the invisibility.
. https://www.slant.co/topics/9807/~basic-like-programming-languages
What is the cutoff for visibility?

Programming isn't difficult, only it's  consuming time and coffee

Offline Qwerkey

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
Re: QB64 competitors... It is an hard life!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 05:09:30 am »
Tempo, all active members heartily agree with you.  Getting this site out into the World-Wide Community is something that we all desire.  As well as us complete-amateur coders, we have some skilled professionals.  I wonder if a Group (here or on Discord) could think of ways to promote QB64 widely?  Unless I have been dreaming, I think that Ashish has said that QB64 is being taught in schools.  The QB64 Team deserve better.

Offline doppler

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 12:04:49 pm »
The QB64 Team deserve better.

Donation pay would be nice idea.

After reading the title this came to mind: "In my best remembrance of Casablanca"

There are QB64 competitors ?, I am shocked I tell you. Shocked.

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 12:41:56 pm »
The QB64 Team deserve better

In the sense Qwekey mentions, best course of action is to spread the word. Let people know about QB64.

Right now we're in a comfortable place financially. Expenses paid for.

Thanks to all our Patrons for that.

Offline George McGinn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile
    • Resume
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 01:57:43 pm »
I've added QB64 as a recommendation to this site. We'll see if it starts appearing to others.

EDIT: Also I noticed that the website they use to get QB64 is the [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there], not the .org site.

RE-EDIT: I fixed the link in my recommendation, but not sure it will fix it if someone else does a recommendation.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 02:10:25 pm by George McGinn »
Technical Council on Software Engineering
IEEE Standards Association
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)

Offline Petr

• Forum Resident
  • The best code is the DNA of the hops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 02:07:58 pm »
I doesn't trust that site.  Definitely, this is dishonesty, an insult. They will probably only mention those who will pay them. They obviously make money on advertising.

Offline George McGinn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile
    • Resume
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 02:12:59 pm »
That may be true, but getting the word out by any means can only help.

If my recommendation does appear, you all should add your own comment and click the recommend button on it. This may push it up to the top ones.

Just a thought.

I doesn't trust that site.  Definitely, this is dishonesty, an insult. They will probably only mention those who will pay them. They obviously make money on advertising.

Offline Cobalt

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
  • At 60 I become highly radioactive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 02:20:50 pm »
I think we need more game\software that tell of QB64 out there. If you notice when I do the intros to stuff I'm working on I mention QB64, ie; Dragon Warrior(Powered by QB64) on Itch.io. The short lived podcast and  Fellippe's videos. Things like that reach a slightly wider audience, but we could really use more. More games on platforms like Itch.io, more videos\tutorials on Youtube or its like. Give people a reason to check QB64 out and see just what it is.

And who knows how much harm the usurped .NET site may be doing. though not a whole lot we can do about that.

Perhaps once I get some better hardware\equipment we could have more podcasts.
Granted after becoming radioactive I only have a half-life!

Offline George McGinn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile
    • Resume
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 02:24:05 pm »
I agree. I am currently working on a large application that integrates mySQL and Zenity for Linux, and will be looking into openGL for cross-platform use.

We have a lot of talented coders here, and we must also get our code out to the public too.

I think we need more game\software that tell of QB64 out there. If you notice when I do the intros to stuff I'm working on I mention QB64, ie; Dragon Warrior(Powered by QB64) on Itch.io. The short lived podcast and  Fellippe's videos. Things like that reach a slightly wider audience, but we could really use more. More games on platforms like Itch.io, more videos\tutorials on Youtube or its like. Give people a reason to check QB64 out and see just what it is.

And who knows how much harm the usurped .NET site may be doing. though not a whole lot we can do about that.

Perhaps once I get some better hardware\equipment we could have more podcasts.

Offline Petr

• Forum Resident
  • The best code is the DNA of the hops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 02:41:55 pm »
I think TikTok offers a great opportunity. The young people are still there, I see it at home. With Youtube ... yeah, good too, but it takes time for videos to be published more often. I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2021, 04:54:28 pm »
This is my opinion... for what it is worth... QB64, like most other programming languages, will only continue if people's perception of it continues... Not necessarily its visibility... When I was a child, computers occupied a room, not a desktop. Programmers were put up on pedestals and looked up to... 1963 brings about Basic and the status of programmer is gradually shifting because of a programming language is designed with "Beginners" in mind. Since 1963, Basic, has been perceived as a language for Beginners. Like the way the military use 'basic' training, to acclimate enlistees, to the rigours of the military. 'That' kind of training is perceived as useful for beginners. Qbasic; Quickbasic; Visualbasic etc... are perceived by, not just programmers, as useful for beginners. So, regardless of the methods of advertising QB64, until we change people's 'perception' of Basic, it will be forever allocated to the hobbyist and beginner. Just a few thoughts...
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.

Offline SpriggsySpriggs

• Forum Resident
  • Larger than life
    • View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 05:20:45 pm »
QB64 is expanding. Perhaps not in the ways that everyone likes or the speed they would hope for. I, too, wish it was more widespread and well-known. It never hurts to advertise it yourself. Make some GitHub repositories using QB64 code. Share your projects/tutorials on social media. Fork QB64 and make some radical changes. Personally, I'm doing a little something on the side (that will take an extremely long time) to rewrite QB64 as best I can in Python. I have named the project YellowJacket. I'm not going to share the project with anyone yet (except a closed group of people on Discord) so as to not steal away time and effort from people working on/with QB64. I'm going at a leisurely pace as well, so I expect it will take me a considerable amount of time to bring it to a point where I'd be comfortable sharing and testing it publicly.
Shuwatch!

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2021, 05:52:31 pm »
One of the best ways to change perception is to 'show' people what your program can do... referring to QB64 and not 'Yellowjacket'.. (well, not yet...)

The one thing I like most of all about QB64 is the help system... Each command is explained and accompanied with examples... Cut and paste gold mine.
Just think how much more popular QB64 could be if, like you had inferred, a GitHub (or similar site) was purely dedicated to what QB64 can do... Not just games but multiple categories - I am not disregarding the Wiki page - but a site that "shows off" QB64's abilities... Seeing is believing...

Best of luck with Yelowjacket... Do you have a timetable set for the first release?

J
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.

Offline SpriggsySpriggs

• Forum Resident
  • Larger than life
    • View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2021, 06:31:55 pm »
@johnno56 Oh, definitely not. I'm trying not to promise any sort of schedule. I'm working on this in free time and I'm also learning as I go. This will be something you might not necessarily hear about again for quite some time.
Shuwatch!

Offline Richard

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2021, 07:15:35 pm »
Just wondering about this idea on mine (to help widen the QB64 user base).

I gather that @George McGinn and @Petr were referring to the "recently (2017-2018) revived (???) site"

QB64.not    [ don't go there ...]

not to be confused with my archives from the (2008 - 2016) site of a similar name that many here "enjoyed" and 'trusted" (the original 2008 site that is).

Although @odin  and @FellippeHeitor have not particularly shown interest in my archives (to "inject" into QB64.org) to "fill the void" regarding Network54 (was it ???) to QB64.org - and so consequently which I have not been trying/offering to do so myself - I was thinking (the really dangerous part) of ...

From approximately 10,000 web pages of QB64.(2008-2016).net to start "uploading" the archives onto QB64.(2017-2018).net itself. Now on the assumption that either or both the QB64.not site is malicious (etc) and/or it is part of a big advertising campaign (to make money only) and/or perhaps it is just all a big "hoax" - if approached "carefully" by me - MAYBE the truth of the situation will eventually come out for all to see.

Now, for the sake of this reply, again "carefully" approaching QB64.not with the uploads - by careful modification of the uploads by me - effectively "advertise" QB64.org (e.g. by way of links to QB64.org, "popular QB64.not topics" (that maybe still Google et al still come up with in the searches)). The idea is to say use a site (QB64.not) which may be getting tons of $ from advertising, to mention QB64.org.

Of course, @odin  @FellippeHeitor  and many others here may not like the idea (to try out - fair enough) - and any advice regarding this "dangerous idea" would be appreciated (probably resulting in "don't go there...").

So it may be that one million (???) views per year to a "bogus" site could be potentially one million "redirects" to QB64.org.

Above is just a thought...

Thanks for reading this.