Author Topic: Phases of the moon - query  (Read 4589 times)

Offline George McGinn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile
    • Resume
Re: Phases of the moon - query
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2021, 06:56:20 pm »
It should be somewhat easy to figure out.

If you go by the Jewish Calendar, Easter always falls on the first Sunday after Passover.

I believe that was how they calculated it back in 329  AD. It was the first Sunday following Nisan 14 (https://www.hope-of-israel.org/nisan14p.htm).

Another way of putting it, according to the Bible, Jesus Christ's death and resurrection occurred at the time of the Jewish Passover, which was celebrated on the first Full Moon following the Vernal Equinox.

I don't have (yet) an algorithm to figure this one out, but someone clever could figure this out.

Good Luck.

So if you know when Nisan 14 was in 329 AD, then you know when Easter was first celebrated after the Council of

Cobalt.

That could be tricky for a couple of reasons. The world, as a whole, had adapted the Gregorian Calendar as of 1582. Before then we had a length of year of about 375 days. "Oh. But what about using Julian days?", you may ask. If memory serves correctly, Julian days are measured from the start of an epoch (usually data recorded at a specific point in time. Usually at the beginning of a Century).

Determining events based on Pre-Gregorian (Julian) could be inaccurate... after all, from the second to the 16th century, most scholars were using a geocentric system (everything rotated around the Earth).

But that being said, calculating the day of the 'first' Easter may not be possible. Easter was a pagan festival that pre-dated the Christian religion. There are many symbols adopted by many cultures. Easter has roots in a Spring festival to the godess Eostre and the Jewish holiday of Passover. Records show that Christians adopted and observed, the current form of Easter, as early as the second century AD. But parts of it may have had its roots as far back as the first century AD.

My apologies for 'babbling'... I really must concentrate on brevity...

J
Technical Council on Software Engineering
IEEE Standards Association
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2021, 10:01:26 pm »
Questions like these remind me of the weather rock.

1) find a big rock and paint a W on it.  Doesn't matter what color.
2) if the rock is wet "It's raining."
3) if the rock is cold "It's cold outside."
4) if the rock is hot to the touch.  "It's hot outside."
5) if you can't find the rock.  "It's windy outside."

You left out: Iif you trip over the damn rock... it's snowing.

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2021, 12:16:55 am »
You left out: Iif you trip over the damn rock... it's snowing.

Pete

If the rock is very blurry when you look at it, “It’s foggy outside.”
If you can’t see the rock, “It’s dark outside.”
If you see blood on the rock and the world is spinning wildly, “Your wife is angry at you!”
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2021, 12:33:14 am »
Okay, here we go...

If nothing at all registers, does that mean you got your rocks off?

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/