Author Topic: Difficulty with QB64 on successive runs  (Read 3461 times)

This topic contains a post which is marked as Best Answer. Press here if you would like to see it.

Offline paranoia1001001

• View Profile
Difficulty with QB64 on successive runs
« on: April 02, 2021, 10:11:53 am »
I am able to run QB64 with no problems, as well as being able to compile and execute code with it during that run, once after installation. However, at a second or later attempt I am unable to run it. The first time I had trouble, the IDE loaded with a message box that stated there was an internal IDE error and I had no option but to close it. Since then the IDE will not load at all on second or later runs, but instead returns "Press any key to continue" to the console.

I keep saying "second or later runs" because I've reinstalled it several times, which worked at first, but now that doesn't even work. So, I am at a loss of what the issue is. Here are some specifics that might aid one or more of you at helping to point me in the right direction. Thank you, in advance, for any assistance you are able to offer.

Using the pre-compiled version on 1.5 for Linux
On Ubuntu 20.04
By (1) double clicking the icon for "qb64",
(2) selecting "Open" from the context menu for the icon for "qb64", and
(3) executing the file from the console as "/usr/local/bin/qb64/qb64" both from (a) home and (b) the qb64 directory.

If you need any further details, please let me know. And, thank you again for any assistance you can provide.

Oh, and by the way, who is Agatha? She is a very difficult girl because it took me quite a while to realize it was she who had been messing everything up.

Offline SpriggsySpriggs

• Forum Resident
  • Larger than life
    • View Profile
    • GitHub
Re: Difficulty with QB64 on successive runs
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 10:22:01 am »
Please redownload and run the setup_lnx.sh file again. Let me know if your situation changes
Shuwatch!

Offline paranoia1001001

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 10:43:40 am »
Please redownload and run the setup_lnx.sh file again. Let me know if your situation changes

I failed to mention that prior to installing the pre-compiled version I made an attempt to compile the source, which did not go well, to say the least. There were many errors, all of which related to a permissions problem on the chmod and one other command that I do not remember at this moment. When I issued the commands from the CLI that were in the .sh I received no errors. I am in the sudo group, ran the .sh without sudo (and with, but had to modify the .sh to do that), and when I ran the .sh without sudo I was never prompted for the sudo password, although that might have been because I had already supplied it in the same terminal session.

I mention all of this because I receive similar errors when I run the install script for the pre-compiled version, although I am able to run the qb64 program file without using the install script, at least for the first runs which have been successful.

I should also mention that I've tried logging out and rebooting, but still receive the same error on qb64 execution.

Offline luke

• Administrator
  • Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 10:56:09 am »
(3) executing the file from the console as "/usr/local/bin/qb64/qb64"
This concerns me, because it suggests you've put qb64 into places only root should have access to.

QB64 best lives in your home directory, say ~/qb64 or maybe ~/programming/qb64.

Offline paranoia1001001

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 11:36:22 am »
This concerns me, because it suggests you've put qb64 into places only root should have access to.

QB64 best lives in your home directory, say ~/qb64 or maybe ~/programming/qb64.

I have to state that I hate the POSIX and FHS file system structure, having come from a DOS environment originally. From what I read /usr/local/bin was the appropriate place to put pre-compiled binaries that you want to make available system wide, but your response would go to answer many of the issues that arose from the attempts to compile and install that I faced.

So, I will remove the current install and place a new one in my home. I will report back the results.

Thank you both for the help you've given thus far.

Offline paranoia1001001

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 11:45:37 am »
Well attempting to install it in home made it less angry, but still not happy with me. Here are the results:

Code: QB64: [Select]
  1. user@computer:~$ /home/user/programs/qb64/setup_lnx.sh
  2. Debian based distro detected.
  3. Compiling and installing QB64...
  4. find: ‘internal/c/parts’: No such file or directory
  5. find: ‘internal/c/parts’: No such file or directory
  6. find: ‘internal/c/libqb’: No such file or directory
  7. rm: cannot remove './internal/temp/*': No such file or directory
  8. Building library 'LibQB'
  9. /home/user/programs/qb64/setup_lnx.sh: line 118: pushd: internal/c/libqb/os/lnx: No such file or directory
  10. /home/user/programs/qb64/setup_lnx.sh: line 120: ./setup_build.sh: No such file or directory
  11. /home/user/programs/qb64/setup_lnx.sh: line 121: popd: directory stack empty
  12. Building library 'FreeType'
  13. /home/user/programs/qb64/setup_lnx.sh: line 124: pushd: internal/c/parts/video/font/ttf/os/lnx: No such file or directory
  14. /home/user/programs/qb64/setup_lnx.sh: line 126: ./setup_build.sh: No such file or directory
  15. /home/user/programs/qb64/setup_lnx.sh: line 127: popd: directory stack empty
  16. Building library 'Core:FreeGLUT'
  17. /home/user/programs/qb64/setup_lnx.sh: line 130: pushd: internal/c/parts/core/os/lnx: No such file or directory
  18. /home/user/programs/qb64/setup_lnx.sh: line 132: ./setup_build.sh: No such file or directory
  19. /home/user/programs/qb64/setup_lnx.sh: line 133: popd: directory stack empty
  20. Building 'QB64'
  21. cp: cannot stat './internal/source/*': No such file or directory
  22. /home/user/programs/qb64/setup_lnx.sh: line 137: pushd: internal/c: No such file or directory
  23. g++: error: qbx.cpp: No such file or directory
  24. g++: error: libqb/os/lnx/libqb_setup.o: No such file or directory
  25. g++: error: parts/video/font/ttf/os/lnx/src.o: No such file or directory
  26. g++: error: parts/core/os/lnx/src.a: No such file or directory
  27. /home/user/programs/qb64/setup_lnx.sh: line 139: popd: directory stack empty
  28. It appears that the qb64 executable file was not created, this is usually an indication of a compile failure (You probably saw lots of error messages pop up on the screen)
  29. Usually these are due to missing packages needed for compilation. If you're not running a distro supported by this compiler, please note you will need to install the packages listed above.
  30. If you need help, please feel free to post on the QB64 Forums detailing what happened and what distro you are using.
  31. Also, please tell them the exact contents of this next line:
  32. DISTRO: ubuntu
  34. Thank you for using the QB64 installer.
  35. user@computer:~$

As to the first four errors, I can confirm that ‘internal/c/parts’ does exist. So, not sure why that isn't working. "./internal/temp/" also exists. I am sure this is all related to some small trivial *nix thing of which I am unaware and am thus doing wrong and not an issue with QB64. So, I appreciate your patience and assistance with my ignorance.

Offline SpriggsySpriggs

• Forum Resident
  • Larger than life
    • View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 11:55:41 am »
@paranoia1001001

Try running this command in your terminal

sudo chmod a+rwx /home/user/progams/qb64
Shuwatch!

Offline paranoia1001001

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 12:05:02 pm »
@paranoia1001001

Try running this command in your terminal

It accepted the chmod with no errors reported; however, on execution of the .sh I received the same errors as before.

Marked as best answer by paranoia1001001 on April 02, 2021, 09:01:43 am

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 12:46:08 pm »
Try to change directory to /home/user/programs/qb64/ and then run the setup script.  The error messages look like a path problem.
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline paranoia1001001

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 01:03:53 pm »
Try to change directory to /home/user/programs/qb64/ and then run the setup script.  The error messages look like a path problem.

The combination of moving it to a sub-directory of home, chmod'ing it, and executing the script from within the directory rather than by specifying the path worked. A great thank you to all of you who pitched in to play tech support for this ID10T error of mine.