Author Topic: StarBlast Game - Latest Version  (Read 5256 times)

This topic contains a post which is marked as Best Answer. Press here if you would like to see it.

Offline SirCrow

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
StarBlast Game - Latest Version
« on: July 29, 2018, 12:24:39 pm »
Hi there.  I've posted the latest version of my game, StarBlast.  If you can, please help me figure out why the ship's shadow is not semi-transparent.  Please read about Ship_Shade& in the following post:
https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php?topic=347.msg2453#msg2453

The link to the game is also there.  Thanks!
I may not always finish what I've started....

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
Re: StarBlast Game - Latest Version
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 06:47:05 pm »
My poor attempt. Perhaps it may generate some better ideas?

https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php?topic=347.15

J
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 09:34:32 pm »
I think I managed to follow the QB drawing commands....

Here is my version of a 49x49 70% opacity ship shadow. I will leave it to the more knowledgeable to adapt it for use.... lol

J

* shipShadow.png (Filesize: 1 KB, Dimensions: 49x49, Views: 349)

Offline SirCrow

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 01:11:38 am »
I think I managed to follow the QB drawing commands....

Here is my version of a 49x49 70% opacity ship shadow. I will leave it to the more knowledgeable to adapt it for use.... lol

Johnno, thanks a bunch for your desire to help me.  Really appreciate it.  That shadow you made looks great, but I'm not skilled enough to make it rotate along with the ship.  That's why I went with the DRAWing onto a wee BG every step of the way and then _PUT'ing that image onto the large BG.  I'm pretty convinced I'm on the right track with my method;  I just can't see what it is that I've missed.

It's funny when I create a really cool game based on Asteroids and then can't figure out a simple little thing.  I don't wanna say I feel stoopid, but....
J

P.S.
Another thing I'm missing is the Modify button.  I hate to keep uploading 18MB archives when I can't just have the latest one take the place of the older one, as I did at the .net site.  Anything I can do about that?

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 06:40:12 am »
I have been experimenting with the "terrain" files. I mentioned earlier about the asteroids not being of "RGB" mode. That was mainly because an "indexed" or limited palette image cannot have transparency... This need not apply to the "background". After all, we are not expecting our backgrounds to cast shadows... lol

Anyway. The "Red" terrain (about 1.9mb) can be modified, without too much difference, to about 300kb. I know that sounds a lot, and it is, but do not hold your breath... tried the same with the other terrains and achieved similar size savings but all of them came out a kind of grey colour... not very appealing in my opinion... any attempt to "add" colour immediately returned them back to their normal size... all but the red...  If I remember I will attach a "before and after".

In regards to the ship's shadow... I do not know QB well enough to suggest how to rotate it in unison with the ship. That's why I only produced the shadow sprite. I'm sure that one of the members here could come up with something...

A "modify" button? I'm not sure what you mean. To modify what exactly?

To reduce the archive size... hmm... I suppose you could probably separate your archive into code and images... If it is the code that needs modifying then there would be no need to "add" the images. After all, the images are more that 20meg uncompressed... In like manner, if an existing image needs replacing, only post the modified image... If a new image is to be added then post the code with only the new image. I personally would post the entire archive when the game is completed or unless asked for... Just a suggestion.

I will continue working on the other "terrains"... Not brave enough to tackle the Nebulae yet... lol  Who needs "grey" clouds? lol

J

Attached are: The original "red" terrain (1.9m RGB32) and a 256 colour (895k) indexed image...
Terrain_2560x1440_Tile_Quad_RED_01.png
* Terrain_2560x1440_Tile_Quad_RED_01.png (Filesize: 1.83 MB, Dimensions: 2560x1440, Views: 299)
red_indexed.png
* red_indexed.png (Filesize: 874.51 KB, Dimensions: 2560x1440, Views: 293)

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 07:00:15 am »
I modified all 9 Nebulae (original total of 6.9mb) to 256 colour indexed to a total of 3.9mb. It isn't much but it may help. I will attempt to attach them...

J

ps: Did the same for the "Terrains". Total of 10.8mb before modification. Only the "Red" reduced in size making a modified total of 9mb. As you already have the modified "red" there is no reason to add the other 3 images. Sorry.
* modifiedNebulae.zip (Filesize: 3.63 MB, Downloads: 267)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 07:08:31 am by johnno56 »

Offline SirCrow

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 12:44:51 pm »
A "modify" button? I'm not sure what you mean. To modify what exactly?

Thanks for all your effort.  The Modify button I meant was for editing one's post here in the forum.  Currently, I see the old Quote button and a new Best Answer button, but still no Modify.  Funny thing is, I saw it there recently and was able to edit my post, but now it's missing again.

Marked as best answer by SirCrow on July 31, 2018, 05:54:55 pm

FellippeHeitor