Author Topic: Multi lingual installation script for Linux updated for QB64 1.5 InForm & vWATCH  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Fifi

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
    • My small QB64 contribution
Hi everyone,

Thanks to several contributors, including without limitation to Fellippe Heitor and TempodiBasic for their post translations, revision # 31 of my multilingual ( English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Russian ) is now available and install (and nicely uninstall) QB64 version 1.5, InForm version 1.2 and vWATCH64 version 1.102 o, Linux boxes (bare metal and / or VM).

This script also supports the InForm issue of not showing the initial form of UiEditorPreview on some distributions such as Mint 20.1 or Debian 8 & 9.

Additionally, if you chose it, the script creates handy starters with their relevant icons right on your desktop as well as a link to the QB64 folder (/opt/qb64):

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]  

Furthermore, the script allows you to call QB64 from any window even if you are not in the folder where QB64 is installed, and the compiler then behaves like any other compiler (GCC, G++, etc.) when using the -x and -o options.

Exemple from any window (no need anymore of the ./qb64 command within the QB64 folder).:

Code: QB64: [Select]
  1. qb64 -x /opt/qb64/hello.bas -o /home/fifi/Desktop/hello

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]  

As usual, you can get my script from my dedicated web page: http://www.as2.com

Please feel free to come back to me for your comment and suggestions.

Cheers.
Fifi
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 04:02:21 am by Fifi »
It's better to look like an idiot for a short time while asking something obvious to an expert than pretending to be smart all your life. (C) Me.

Offline SpriggsySpriggs

• Forum Resident
  • Larger than life
    • View Profile
    • GitHub
Re: Multi lingual insrallation script for Linux updated for QB64 v 1.5
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 04:53:02 pm »
This is really cool! Thanks for sharing
Shuwatch!

Offline thesnowdog

• View Profile
Re: Multi lingual installation script for Linux updated for QB64 v 1.5
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 09:12:59 am »
Sounds great and it would be nice if this could be integrated into the project.  Running from the command-line is pretty quirky at the moment which is probably because most people are using the IDE.

It would presumably help with packaging for Linux distros as well.

I only had a very quick look but it doesn't seem that the script supports a local user installation?  E.g., It would be nice to have the option to run something like ./QB64_install.sh --prefix=/home/me/opt

Offline Fifi

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Multi lingual insrallation script for Linux updated for QB64 v 1.5
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 02:18:58 am »
This is really cool! Thanks for sharing
Thank you.
It's better to look like an idiot for a short time while asking something obvious to an expert than pretending to be smart all your life. (C) Me.

Offline Fifi

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Multi lingual installation script for Linux updated for QB64 v 1.5
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 04:00:53 am »
Hi thesnowdog,

Sounds great and it would be nice if this could be integrated into the project.  Running from the command-line is pretty quirky at the moment which is probably because most people are using the IDE.

It would presumably help with packaging for Linux distros as well.

I only had a very quick look but it doesn't seem that the script supports a local user installation?  E.g., It would be nice to have the option to run something like ./QB64_install.sh --prefix=/home/me/opt

Thank you for your message.

The integration of my script into the project is up to the development team. However, I think it's really better than the old setup_lnx.sh script which no longer works on some newer Linux distos.

You are right, at the moment this script installs QB64, InForm and vWATCH only in the general purpose folder "/opt /qb64" and not elsewhere.

There are several reasons for this:

1) in another script I allowed the user to install an application almost anywhere in the filesystem. The problem then was that some guys would do "creative things" like install that application in sensitive places like /boot or /sys or /etc and then mess up the system. So I don't want this install script to be able to do it again.

2) this script also allows to uninstall QB64, InForm and vWATCH with a single click. If I allow (say via an option) to install these components elsewhere (ie "/home/$USER/any_location/qb64") then I would have to save this location somewhere so that I can offer to uninstall the applications without asking where they are located... specially because the user can forget the exact location.

So I have to check where to save this location, say in some sort of .ini file that the script should read before doing anything else.

This is a good improvement and thanks for sharing this idea which I will test as soon as possible. However, I think that on a machine with sevrel user accounts, this limits the use of the three apps exclusively to the user who perfromed the install.

I am planning another improvement such as saving the full install before uninstalling the full package. It could be in /home/$USER/qb64-backup.

About your proposal to "possibly help with packaging for Linux distributions", what do you think exactly? Of course, I am interested in any idea to improve the scope of using QB64, InForm and vWATCH through this script. :)

Looking forward.

Cheers.
Fifi

PS: Sorry for my English, I'm a French native (I Know, nobody's perfect). ;)