Author Topic: We need a new QB64 statement: SCREEN _REENGINEER _TALL  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
We need a new QB64 statement: SCREEN _REENGINEER _TALL
« on: January 17, 2021, 09:23:26 am »
Simply put, it converts your current monitor screen to a 6-foot tall screen, so we don't have to waste our tie scrolling through code. Actually, I'm only talking about the IDE, like that makes things any easier.

On a serious note, it would be nice to have some thing like a SHIFT + End key assigned to finding the last line of a SUB, and SHIFT + Home the beginning. QBasic used to just isolate subs. The disadvantage was you had to keep exiting to other subs, whereas QB64 just lets you scroll or exit to find another sub. I think my key idea would be the best of both worlds.

As far as making the IDE vertical size larger, sure we can configure it to be the height of the desktop, that helps, but wouldn't it be nice if in some upcoming version, that annoying bottom STATUS window could be removed and only appear when necessary. Of course present consistent syntax checking is the problem with that. There are times I think there should be an option to suspend syntax checking until an assigned key is pressed or RUN in selected.

Well, off to Best Not Buy to purchase that 6 foot monitor. Wish me luck. By the way, all this wouldn't be necessary if I didn't have to keep typing: AS UDT

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

FellippeHeitor

Re: We need a new QB64 statement: SCREEN _REENGINEER _TALL
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 09:26:32 am »
When I want to go to the first line of the current SUB I'm editing, I hit F2->Enter. To go to the last line I hit F2, Down Arrow, Enter, Up Arrow. This last one looks like a video game cheat code, but you get used to it. Suggestions noted though.

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 09:39:31 am »
I've used that "cheat" too. It's not so bad for going back to the first line, but it's a bit of a pain for the last.

I do wonder if the IDE was hooked up to a 100 - inch monitor, if there would be some option to increase the vertical lines to a couple hundred and still have the font size easily read, because it would be displayed on such a big screen.

I have, on difficult occasions, printed out pages of code, pinned them to a large cork board, and penned my way though debugging and complex changes faster than using the monitor.

Anyway, if the shortcut key idea is workable, that would be great at some future time. I know the STATUS window option is no easy deal, even with PCOPY.

You know I think we used to have an option to turn syntax checking off, but I can't find it on v 1.3.

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 09:41:55 am »
Option menu -> Show errors immediately (untick it).

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 10:01:19 am »
My bad. I was looking in options for Syntax checking off. I think that's what it used to be. For what ever reason, Show compilation errors immediately didn't register with me. Steve would say that's because "immediately" is one syllable past my level of comprehension. I'm just grateful "comprehension" is within my range.

Pete