Author Topic: QBASIC for Win10  (Read 6221 times)

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
QBASIC for Win10
« on: December 02, 2020, 01:01:12 am »
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/qbasic/9ntmcqwn2sqm?activetab=pivot:overviewtab#

Anyone give this a try?  QBASIC in the microsoft store... 
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
Re: QBASIC for Win10
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 01:15:12 am »
That's very tempting to try but I don't think I want .bas file interfering with QB64 when I click them in Explorer.

Offline jack

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 05:17:38 am »
I tried it once, have since uninstall it
it seems to be written in JavaScript because the test-code that I used had the same failure as this http://stevehanov.ca/blog/?id=92
I don't remember what test code I used

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 11:27:33 am »
Wow! If it doesn't support graphics screens then it's only for Pete!

I don't see MS putting out a Java Script version of QBasic though, specially without complete support for what THEY use to add in free with DOS.

Offline jack

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 12:15:20 pm »
it's sold or distributed via MS store, it's not necessarily their product

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 12:17:16 pm »
By the looks of the screenshot it's clearly   [ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]   not their product.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 12:18:39 pm by FellippeHeitor »

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 12:45:31 pm »
And yet, nobody’s tried it, so they can give us a little insight on it?

I should be back home in a day, or so.  I’ll grab a copy and play around with it a bit after that, and I’ll let you guys know how it goes.
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline SpriggsySpriggs

• Forum Resident
  • Larger than life
    • View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 12:53:20 pm »
@SMcNeill I have tried it before and had many issues with it. It does run some very simple demo programs but the IDE sucks. I am not a good candidate for testing it since my code isn't usually based in regular QBASIC or graphics and uses external libraries.
Shuwatch!

Offline STxAxTIC

• Library Staff
  • Forum Resident
  • he lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 02:16:49 pm »
it sucks
You're not done when it works, you're done when it's right.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 02:35:05 pm »
RE: "not their product"

I wonder what process an app has to pass for MS approval? When I said putting out I didn't necessarily mean producing but including licensing or approving of for their store.

ie with enough $ shelled out will they approve anything? so I am completely un-informed of what standards they have.

I confess I saw the foreign letters not being English and the alert alarms began to sound.

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2020, 04:51:03 pm »
CHEAP CRAP MADE IN ASIA! Where's Codeguy when I need him?

On a serious note, has anyone asked Rob how h'd feel about putting QB64 in the MS store?

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline SpriggsySpriggs

• Forum Resident
  • Larger than life
    • View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2020, 04:58:54 pm »
On a serious note, has anyone asked Rob how h'd feel about putting QB64 in the MS store?

That would be pretty neat. It would get the name out in one more spot, at least.
Shuwatch!

Offline Bert22306

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2020, 05:35:49 pm »

Hmmm. I'd hesitate. Did Rob get permission to (shamelessly) copy the Qbasic IDE? It was a fantastic idea, to help make the transition pretty close to pain-free, but MS lawyers might have a field day.

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2020, 07:08:14 pm »
Right, billionaire layers make killing suing school teacher, film at 10-minutes to never; but yes, I have looked t it from that side, too. The point is, it isn't the same code, or probably even close to the same code, even though just the IDE was made to look like it, for what I'm guessing was for the sake of nostalgia. So let's look at the one they are advertising as QBasic. Does that IDE look like the QBasic IDE? Sorry, I won't take the time to download it, because my gut plus what I've read so far tells me it's a piece of....

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline RNBW

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2020, 05:22:30 am »
Installed it, tried it, uninstalled it.  Microsoft needs to check what's in its Store.

Seriously, why would you want to use it when you already have a much superior product in QB64.  Judging by earlier comments the QB product isn't that compatible with Qbasic, whereas QB64 is.  The only benefit (if it is a benefit) is that the QB product is an interpreter, whereas QB64 is a compiler and you have to wait a few seconds before you can use it (that is if you don't want to make an executable file).

My advice: stick with QB64.