Author Topic: Echoes of Destiny (WIP splash screen)  (Read 3377 times)

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
Echoes of Destiny (WIP splash screen)
« on: November 24, 2020, 10:28:25 pm »
A little demo of the title screen for the game which I've been working on forever and ever and ever....

There's not a whole lot in here at the moment, except the programmable keyboard library, a popup menu routine, and a few little helper functions.  I figure if anyone is interested in these simple little splash screens, now would be a good time to show this one,  before I start assembling in the character creator and everything else, which would just complicate the process for anyone wanting to study things and learn from them.  :)

One caveat:  This is WINDOWS-ONLY.  My game allows for a fully customizable keyboard layout, and unfortunately, QB64's built in keyboard routines are unreliable.  Some codes in QB64 give the exact same value as other keys.  Some keys won't even read.  Some key-combinations (ALT-TAB, for example) may read a key release, but not a key hit...  QB64's internal keyboard routine is unreliable for my uses, so I wrote my own input library -- unfortunately, since I'm only a windows user, I wrote my library for windows.  Linux and Mac folks can't run this, unless they run it in a VM or Wine...

* Echoes of Destiny.7z (Filesize: 8.21 MB, Downloads: 161)
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline SierraKen

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Echoes of Destiny (WIP splash screen)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 04:15:23 pm »
That's a fantastic opening screen! Nice music too. Can't wait to play the game. What kind of game will it be like? Overhead moving your guy around? Or old school RPG with only text and pictures? Or first person? :)

Offline Petr

• Forum Resident
  • The best code is the DNA of the hops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 04:35:10 pm »
Huh, nice SUB EXPLODE :) i must also something as this writing to my source :) But it is definitely very sad to have to type own keyboard solution. But I believe that if you combine INKEY$ and _KEYHIT, you would probably achieve the same effect. Or really not?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 04:38:28 pm by Petr »

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 10:14:49 pm »
That's a fantastic opening screen! Nice music too. Can't wait to play the game. What kind of game will it be like? Overhead moving your guy around? Or old school RPG with only text and pictures? Or first person? :)

Old school RPG like Cobalt’s remake of Dragon Warrior, except it’s all my own original project.  I had a working demo up last year, or so, but I ended up ripping out my logic engine and doing a rewrite on it.  (I think StxAxTic tested it for me, if he remembers it, as well as a few of the other folks who used to hang around in the old IRC channel with us.)

A lot of my little snippets on the forum here are directly related to my game project.  Pathfinding, keyboard library, image support, text frames, ect...  I’ve just tended to strip them out one at a time, over time, to highlight and share each function independently so as to not overwhelm anyone.  (Even a watered down version of my map maker is here somewhere on the forums, if you search for it.)

I’m hoping to have a running demo up and going again by spring.  Once the engine is complete, anyone can build maps for the project, and I’m hoping others will help design dungeons, cities, and buildings so I don’t have to create the whole world by myself, from scratch.   ;)
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 10:18:32 pm »
Huh, nice SUB EXPLODE :) i must also something as this writing to my source :) But it is definitely very sad to have to type own keyboard solution. But I believe that if you combine INKEY$ and _KEYHIT, you would probably achieve the same effect. Or really not?

Everyone needs to be able to EXPLODE when something goes wrong — especially if doing so helps highlight where the glitch occurs at.  When speed isn’t an issue, I try and do a lot of error checking with the code, and routines like EXPLODE is where I generate my feedback from.  ;)

(As for inkey and keyhit, see my post in General Discussion for why I have my own custom library here.)

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 11:04:38 pm »
Wait... you guys got me all excited about explosions!

Code: QB64: [Select]
  1. SUB Explode (where$)
  2.     PRINT "YOU FUCKED UP!!  THERE'S A GLITCH IN THE CODE SOMEWHERE!"
  3.     FOR i = 1 TO 10: PRINT "FIX IT! ": BEEP: _DELAY .5: NEXT
  4.     PRINT: PRINT: PRINT "THE GLITCH IS IN: "; where$
  5.     END

That's it? ;(    That's my daily fare ;-))

On the other hand if you can say where in the code the screw up is... cool!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 11:12:10 pm by bplus »

Offline SierraKen

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 11:40:04 pm »
That sounds fun Steve! I hope to make maps for this game in the future! :)