Author Topic: Selling Programs For Profit  (Read 3200 times)

Offline Vits

• View Profile
Selling Programs For Profit
« on: August 08, 2020, 05:47:58 am »
Hi everyone, I'm not new to qb64 and I have been observing around here on the forum for some time. I need to ask if I am allowed to sell software written by me in qb64? I don't use any external libraries, only qb64 stuff like the core language and sound files, image capabilities and so on. I also use OpenGL for rendering sometimes. I can create my own custom sounds, graphics, whatever I need to do.

Thanks in advance

Offline OldMoses

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Selling Programs For Profit
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 08:26:01 am »
I'm not aware of any restrictions. Do other programming languages have any? I've never sold software, so I have no knowledge of the field. My comments are purely philosophical.

Lot of folks sell stuff coded in C++ which is what QB64 emits to arrive at its executable. If I knew C++, I'd likely code in it. A tool used to create can have no property claim upon your creativity, but that's just my opinion. A carpenter may buy or otherwise acquire a hammer, he does not give the hammer maker a cut of the proceeds when he sells a house.

If you're using copyrighted material, there would probably be some issues. In that case you may have to make certain efforts to comply with IP law. I won't even go into my thoughts on that subject...

Offline Vits

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 12:37:08 pm »
Hmmm ok. Usage in selling usually depends on libraries that are used and not the language itself. I’m wondering if qb64 ‘s source code used any libs that has a restricting license. I’ll probably go look in the Qb64 file folders to see if I can obtain and understand them. I’ll be back I suppose

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 01:09:01 pm »
I always looked at BASIC programs as something to be shared among hobbyists as with the language. But there is no law against selling that I know of, as long as you follow copy right laws.

If you want to sell programs and become a professional programmer, use a professional language.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 01:11:54 pm by bplus »

Offline Vits

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 01:53:35 pm »
I do know other programming languages and fundamentals, so it should not be an issue for me. However, people actually sold games made in stuff like qb64 If I'm correct? Blitz BASIC, and other similar stuff to. so I'm not sure if it would matter if I used it for a little side indie job and yes I would only use my own material. I don't care if I make only a little money, I'm actually doing this for the experience to learn and have fun is all. I'm actually a current college student who's off this month, and I took Intro To IT and Intro To Python, I also know how to use C++ and LUA.

But I still love to use qb64 independently.

EDIT: I read all the files in the license folder, especially the IMPORTANT LICENSING NOTE FOR QB64 PROGRAMMERS part in file named COPYING. I totally understand now, so I guess It's up to me to think about this.

Well, Thanks for the input guys!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 02:05:00 pm by Vits »