Author Topic: File Menu  (Read 5316 times)

Offline SierraKen

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
File Menu
« on: June 30, 2020, 08:09:35 pm »
I found a library on the Wiki page for the File (and Edit, Help, etc.) Menu but has anyone used it here? Or do you suggest using InForm instead? I wonder if it would be a bit too complicating for me to learn as well. Any ideas? If I can figure it out, I might add it to the next version of Paint Pixels. And then other apps later on.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
Re: File Menu
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 09:11:38 pm »
I would work on your own menu system first say from an array called menu with say 7 items in it. This might give you a feel for the problem, you have an amazing way of working out your own thing! :)

Menu systems are likely going to be massive, I've not seen Wiki's.

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 09:20:45 pm »
InForm is more suited if you're going for a full gui. For just a menu system, it'd probably be too much overhead.

Offline SierraKen

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 09:22:15 pm »
Wow thanks bplus! I think I will work on something completely original. I can already think of something maybe with a new toolbar on top above the graphic people draw. I would just have to move all the coordinates of the graphic down past the toolbar. Will take a lot of work and I'm not exactly sure if I can do it, but I might look into it very soon.

Offline SierraKen

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 09:22:53 pm »
Thanks Felippe, I agree. It's a bit too much for what I need.

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 09:23:01 pm »
Try Terry Ritchie's menu system.  It's extremely well documented and easy to use, with several demos to it.
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline SierraKen

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 09:34:33 pm »
Thanks Steve. I just did a search and found yours instead from last year. You mention that Ritchie's had problems so I'm checking out yours. It's here:

https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php?topic=2001.msg112306#msg112306

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 10:01:53 pm »
I was still working around with mine when my PC started dying, but from what I remember, it works well for what it does.  I just hadn't put in all the bells and whistles I'd wanted yet, and spacing can act up off the bottom or far right of the screen, but for simple menus, it works just fine.  (And the menus even minimize/collapse to take up minimal screen space when not in use.)

Expanding/completing it is *still* on my ToDo list.  The problem with my schedule is I just don't know *when* I'll get to actually do stuff on that list.
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 10:05:21 pm »
Terry Ritchie does solid work, I doubt his would be defective. I am certain if it was he'd want to know about it.

Offline Dav

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 10:06:24 pm »
Speaking of menus....

Steve, a number of years ago you and I posted a right click menu system (single SUB) on the [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] forum.  Your right clicker was in response to mine.  Would you still happen to have those? I have the first version  -  but there was a 2nd version that had many different color schemes.  I've been looking for that one on my old HD's with no luck.  If you still have it could you share it?  I'd appreciate it very much. Thanks!

- Dav

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 10:11:02 pm »
Speaking of menus....

Steve, a number of years ago you and I posted a right click menu system (single SUB) on the [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] forum.  Your right clicker was in response to mine.  Would you still happen to have those? I have the first version  -  but there was a 2nd version that had many different color schemes.  I've been looking for that one on my old HD's with no luck.  If you still have it could you share it?  I'd appreciate it very much. Thanks!

- Dav

I remember those.  They were part of my experimental IDE.  If I can't find the independent version, I can strip it out of there for you, later.  ;)

Offline Dav

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 10:15:26 pm »
O yes -  I think I still have your IDE!  I can grab it then.  Many Thanks!

- Dav

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 10:20:31 pm »
Terry Ritchie does solid work, I doubt his would be defective. I am certain if it was he'd want to know about it.

The only "defect" in Terry's Menu was that it completely took control of the mouse/keyboard input at times.  (Similar to how INPUT pauses a program until ENTER is hit.)  It's not a bug; it's an input style waiting for you to basically finish what you started; but I couldn't use it for my needs.  (I needed an independent menu which didn't lock mouse responses like that.)

Think of it like the folks who write:

WHILE_MOUSEINPUT
     IF_MOUSEBUTTON(1) THEN
          DO UNTIL_MOUSEBUTTON(1) = 0: LOOP
     END IF
WEND

The above will detect the mouse down, and then loop continously until the button is let up.  It detects a mouse click....   No big deal for folks who press and release a button...  But what if you press and hold the button for 5 minutes??  (The program does nothing but loop until button release...)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 10:21:57 pm by SMcNeill »

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 10:30:22 pm »
The only "defect" in Terry's Menu was that it completely took control of the mouse/keyboard input at times.  (Similar to how INPUT pauses a program until ENTER is hit.)  It's not a bug; it's an input style waiting for you to basically finish what you started; but I couldn't use it for my needs.  (I needed an independent menu which didn't lock mouse responses like that.)

Think of it like the folks who write:

WHILE_MOUSEINPUT
     IF_MOUSEBUTTON(1) THEN
          DO UNTIL_MOUSEBUTTON(1) = 0: LOOP
     END IF
WEND

The above will detect the mouse down, and then loop continously until the button is let up.  It detects a mouse click....   No big deal for folks who press and release a button...  But what if you press and hold the button for 5 minutes??  (The program does nothing but loop until button release...)

Well now you have me wondering how InForm holds up to that standard? ;-))

Offline SierraKen

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 10:37:06 pm »
I just tried your File Menu Steve and I'm already giving up on it. The way I use PUTIMAGE on every loop cycle with SCREEN doesn't work with your CLS I believe. It puts like 30 toolbars all down the screen. So, the truth is, your code is a bit too technical for my paint program for me to figure out. Before we even talked about this I also thought of a Right Click pop-up window menu that I could do the same thing with, if there's a SUB or library or something like that. It would be a lot easier than dealing with the same area as the graphic screen. I'll check out the Wiki page for anything like that. Or if you have something that makes a pop-up window menu that would be awesome.