Author Topic: Sequence of exe files - how to disable this feature?  (Read 3000 times)

Offline Richard

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Sequence of exe files - how to disable this feature?
« on: November 30, 2019, 12:39:24 am »
I am using a Nov QB64x64 development build stored on E:\ which has been set up as a protected folder (Windows 10 security).

I always name my program X.bas (but frequently save archive versions eg x-0001.bas x-0002.bas … etc)

During running/testing the program a new exe(version) is generated which Windows then denies the compiled program to function until I grant folder access permission.

So I now have

x.exe   x(2).exe   x(3).exe   …   x(7).exe  x(8).exe

If I do some changes to my program, save my archive (eg x-0020.bas) and save as   x.bas    and run, I will probably have to grant permission for   x(9).exe   for the protected folder E:\.

I cannot see the point of the various exe's  (eg x(8).exe), especially when there is NO automatic intermediate bas files (x(8).bas) also being created.

My question is "How to switch off the sequence of the exe's being created - so in my case only x.exe is being created?"

FellippeHeitor

Re: Sequence of exe files - how to disable this feature?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 05:05:04 am »
A sequential binary (like x(2).exe) is only generated when x.exe is still running in the background and can’t be deleted by qb64 when a new compilation is triggered. Check your task manager and you’ll probably find that x.exe is still in memory for some reason.

Make sure to end your apps with SYSTEM, it could help.

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 11:42:09 am »
I wonder if he is using _HIDESCREEN without SYSTEM to terminate the program? I think I had an instance where I ended a program that was hidden once, and although I thought the program had terminated, it actually just ended and each new run instance made a new sequenced .exe file. I had to use Task Manager, like you recommended, to terminate each of them them after that. Ah, the good ol' experimental days. "I wonder how this new keyword works? Well screw the Wiki, full code ahead!"

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • View Profile
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 01:19:50 pm »
I'd guess both you guys are wrong.  You seemed to have missed this part:

then denies the compiled program to function until I grant folder access permission.

I'm betting there's permission issues with the folder, and it won't allow QB64 to delete/overwrite those old EXE files, which means it renames them. 

My advice would be that if QB64 is stored in one of the PROGRAM FILES or PROGRAM FILES (x86) folders, move it to its own root directory, such as C:\QB64.  Most of the permission issues will disappear then, from my experience.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 03:30:19 pm by SMcNeill »
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 02:07:06 pm »
Now I'm wondering why anyone would want to set up a developer system in a protected folder? I'd move it to the main drive, in its own QB64 folder, but if the protected folder is an issue, maybe try running QB64 as "Administrator?"

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline Richard

• Seasoned Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 06:06:44 am »
Thank you all for your replies...

(In line with (what I call) "corny" late night show from a North American TV network (one with 3 letters in network name) - and a "cool" (?) character with black fuzzy hair who introduces the show host - the "cool" gentleman when he assesses the answers from the guests says - …)

ALL THE ANSWERS ARE CORRECT

Firstly, I have done well over a hundred recompilations, since - and ALL "behave" correctly now - the only change is that I used SYSTEM. I did not view Task Manager (unfortunately) or run as "Administrator" at the time.

Secondly, when the problem started occurring - I had just used _HIDESCREEN (for the first time ever) - the reason why I was trying HIDESCREEN was that I was getting an annoying screen flickering of the consol/output graphic screen (these flickering about say 10 times a second over say 10 seconds plus and the FULLSCREEN was displaced (i.e. not fullscreen anymore). For another future post, I am trying to reproduce the same effect in MINIMAL CODE - I do not want to submit my 500 line program - this minimal code is in itself proving to be quite difficult for me as a bare bones 10 or so line program "behaves itself" - and step by step line removal from my 500 line program (expectedly) causes all sorts of errors - hopefully soon I will have a short program to reproduce the flickering effect.

Coincidently, when the "X" series of programs was being first implemented, my computer had just "recovered" from a virus attack (more correctly, I think you would call it a 'ransomware' attack) - just about everything (that was physically connected such as usb sticks and SDHC card) and the C:\  D:\ (recovery drive) and E:\ (Tools) were severely affected. Windows 10 security was alerting me to the fact that something bad was happening - but obviously could not stop it (something new). I was not prepared (never encountered a virus attack before - I probably did not press the right keys at the right time in the right sequence at the right place.... All this made me both very sad and very angry - consequently I am using Windows 10 Folder protection for all drives A,B,C,....,X,Y,Z and so everytime I run an application (for the first time) I decide whether or not to allow folder access permission, etc. Without further details (in this post), except to say, the virus occurred because of something of interest to me, was mentioned on YouTube - I did not view the YouTube (I never use YouTube on my laptop) - somehow YouTube app (or something) downloaded, as well as a whole host of other things (like diskcleaner or so), all so very quickly, and when I first noticed something I suspected was going wrong - there was a brief (say quarter of a second) window written in Russian (I think) but I could not do a screenshot in time....   anyway hence why I am "Folder protecting" everything.

The virus attack compromised say about 1 Terabyte - luckily I did not have my 8 Terabyte drives attached - but as a result, instead of working with 10 GB for the [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] uploads - I had to extract from 8 TB - I only just recently been able to reduce 8 TB to 220 GB (of potential relevance for [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] uploads) and it took windows 10 about 4 days (24/7) just to block copy 1.5 million items (220 GB) - for precaution, all usb sticks which directly or indirectly were attached, are quarantined.

Many thanks again

p.s. I have a feeling that there is a bug in Windows 10 folder protection - it allowed a new program (I called   A.bas   ) to actually run and output before Windows 10 required me to grant permission.

Offline Dimster

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 11:44:37 am »
Sorry that happened to you Richard. You would think in this age of AI sophistication, Windows 10 security could/should identify where the attack was coming from and share that with you. I'd like to see an international BOUNTY PROGRAM, where governments around the world would put up some money for the arrest and prosecution of the hacker. We may then see international legal firms set up a Cyber Civil Recovery unit. But it's pie in the sky - it would require a level of co-operations between countries that has never existed and it pre-supposes the culprits are individual black hat hackers which every country would have an interest in catching, where in fact, the hackers these days seem to be organized by the governments of the countries themselves. I'm thinking, like you, I should have my really good stuff and important stuff backed up and stored on a detachable drive. I realize this comment is wandering from the origin thread but I do feel your pain.