Author Topic: Security advice RE: [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] (not qb64.org)  (Read 15409 times)

FellippeHeitor

We did manage to download a copy of the contents at some point, long before .net was down for good, but then Galleon came back and we thought we were safe again. But then it was all gone for good for real this time and all we're left with is whatever the spammers decided to put up online there. You shouldn't be trying to login there either, for the reasons outline above by Galleon himself.

Offline davidshq

I'm giving a Ruby program that allows one to download snapshots from The Wayback Machine a try. Looks like it is going to return almost 11k pages from the forums. Some of this will be from the current site, but most should be from earlier editions of the site.

Is there anything else I should pull down if the forums works out well?

FellippeHeitor

We've been interested in preserving it for historical purposes. If code and attachments could be fetched, that'd be awesome - but given the way archive.org does its crawling, I have very low hopes.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 09:59:22 pm by FellippeHeitor »

Offline davidshq

Unfortunately, Fellippe, it looks like you are right. I was able to pull down some stuff from Internet Archive but not much.

One of the more curious things about the [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] site is that some links seem to work if you are referred by another site. So, if for example, you are referred to a [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] URL by Google, the page loads. But if you try to reload the same page directly at another time it won't load.

Anyone else able to verify this behavior?

If so, we could probably set our HTTP headers to manually refer to Google so it looks like we are coming from Google when we aren't and be able to crawl the pages...

If this is the case, it seems like perhaps the idea is to continue getting traffic from sites like Google but prevent individuals from actually using the site in any normal fashion.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
Anyone else able to verify this behavior?

Yes you come late to the party :)

Richard has all kinds of copies of stuff, he started flooding forum with posts:
https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php?topic=2670.0

See page 4 early June of Discussion Board look for long string of numbers in topics. If there is something particular you need, he might help.

Offline davidshq

Cool, thanks. For fun I'm also checking the commoncrawl.org corpus to see what they have, it dates way back and they have petabytes of content these days.

FellippeHeitor

The forum software generates pages dynamically. When crawlers do their thing, they fetch a snapshot. Some links will point to said snapshots, hence the illusion that it's working.

Offline Kiara87

• Forum Regular
This is a security warning that I do not own nor have I owned [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] for over a year.
Whatever content is hosted there is a copy of whatever someone could scrape off the old site.
If you have attempted to login to the forum at [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] since I discontinued ownership there is a possibility that your passwords have been stolen.
I have no evidence that this has occurred or that the new owner of [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] is malicious. I am merely advising that this is a possibility.
If you are a person who uses the same password everywhere (you should look to changing that btw) and you have entered your credentials into the scraped site I highly recommend you change your passwords on other sites to something else.
Please do not expect me to reply to this message.

because the owner of [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] is not the owner of the forum qb64.org?
or before the program was its creator another person?
the forum [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] the creator = forum qb64.org ?
as far as i know before qb64 was there  QBASIC Quick Basic 45, Basic
se avessi solo un'ora per salvare il mondo, passerei 55 minuti per definire bene il problema e 5 a trovare la soluzione

Offline xra7en

• Seasoned Forum Regular
thanks for the update - was having issues with *.net did not know it was NOT a part of *.org, I did manage to get a new download from *.org, so hope that was good
I just like re-writing old DOS book games into modern QB64 code - weird hobby, I know!

Offline tomxp411

Does anyone own a trademark on QB64? If you do, then you can get it shut down that way.

I was part of a ham radio club a few years ago who had their callsign's .com stolen by a former member, and that was the method they used to get it back.