Author Topic: Security advice RE: [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] (not qb64.org)  (Read 15432 times)

Offline Galleon

• QB64 Developer
This is a security warning that I do not own nor have I owned [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] for over a year.
Whatever content is hosted there is a copy of whatever someone could scrape off the old site.
If you have attempted to login to the forum at [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] since I discontinued ownership there is a possibility that your passwords have been stolen.
I have no evidence that this has occurred or that the new owner of [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] is malicious. I am merely advising that this is a possibility.
If you are a person who uses the same password everywhere (you should look to changing that btw) and you have entered your credentials into the scraped site I highly recommend you change your passwords on other sites to something else.
Please do not expect me to reply to this message.

Offline Real2Two

Ok. Good thing I didn't have QB64 when [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] exists. xD

FellippeHeitor

Offline STxAxTIC

• Library Staff
  • Forum Resident
  • he lives
I know right? It's like running into your ex who you thought you'e gotten over.
You're not done when it works, you're done when it's right.

Offline keybone

• Forum Regular
  • My name a Nursultan Tulyakbay.
I know right? It's like running into your ex who you thought you'e gotten over.

lmao!!! I got a little disappointed, I thought maybe Galleon got a little nostalgic and wanted to be part of the community.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 01:25:15 am by keybone »
I am from a Kazakhstan, we follow the hawk.

Offline keybone

• Forum Regular
  • My name a Nursultan Tulyakbay.
This is a security warning that I do not own nor have I owned [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] for over a year.
Whatever content is hosted there is a copy of whatever someone could scrape off the old site.
If you have attempted to login to the forum at [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] since I discontinued ownership there is a possibility that your passwords have been stolen.
I have no evidence that this has occurred or that the new owner of [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] is malicious. I am merely advising that this is a possibility.
If you are a person who uses the same password everywhere (you should look to changing that btw) and you have entered your credentials into the scraped site I highly recommend you change your passwords on other sites to something else.
Please do not expect me to reply to this message.

Thanks for letting us know, we all just assumed that it was the long awaited backup and that was all that could be salvaged. I can't think of any other reason for putting the site back up like that, if it wasn't you that put it there, than phishing. So i definately am changing my passwords.
I am from a Kazakhstan, we follow the hawk.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
The Galleon? possibly Odin's Odin?

Offline Dimster

• Forum Resident
Should there not be a request by the new owner to use the old members data/personal info or even the coding generated (after all the site was only quasi public- meaning limited to lovers of Qbasic and it's iterations), should the new owner of the site not be obligated to provide info on any change to privacy policies? I'm not sure if some of these issues aren't already standard unwritten expectations by members of these various programming sites.

Offline Qwerkey

• Forum Resident
Galleon enrolled as a .org member.  We are honoured.  Recognising his contribution in kicking off this community, I feel that we should award him the badge of office of Emeritus Leader.  The label "Emeritus" clearly signifies retired.

Offline Calloway

• I still have Laser Disc...
    • Calloway Sutton
Should there not be a request by the new owner to use the old members data/personal info or even the coding generated (after all the site was only quasi public- meaning limited to lovers of Qbasic and it's iterations), should the new owner of the site not be obligated to provide info on any change to privacy policies? I'm not sure if some of these issues aren't already standard unwritten expectations by members of these various programming sites.
I mean, if they're using the site for malicious purposes then I don't think they would be too avid about announcing privacy policies and contacting the old owner...

Offline maersi

I have just seen this message. [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] is still up, and still looks genuine  enough to fool people. I can think of no legitimate reason to host a fake copy of a genuine site.
[abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] is hosted by GoDaddy.
It might be worth a QB64.org admin contacting GoDaddy to discuss.
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@godaddy.com

FellippeHeitor

It might be worth a QB64.org admin contacting GoDaddy to discuss.
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@godaddy.com

Done. Thanks!

Offline davidshq

Does anyone have a login to [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] that works for them on the forums? I'd like to scrape the site for all of its forum posts but if I try and login it just kicks me back out to the main [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] site.

If you do have such a password, aren't reusing it, and are willing to share I've got WinHTTrack all spun up and ready to go.

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
Does anyone have a login to [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] that works for them on the forums? I'd like to scrape the site for all of its forum posts but if I try and login it just kicks me back out to the main [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] site.

If you do have such a password, aren't reusing it, and are willing to share I've got WinHTTrack all spun up and ready to go.

It won't help.  The site only has a few pages open in each topic.  Once you get down past the 2nd or 3rd page, the links are broken.  What's up now is nothing more than a mirror of something which was probably saved via The Internet Archive or Wayback Machine.
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!