Author Topic: Wiki wrong  (Read 5270 times)

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
Re: Wiki wrong
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2019, 06:47:27 pm »
Sorry, it's been a SINGLE fucking day.

Pete!
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline Qwerkey

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2019, 10:04:56 am »
Sorry, it's been a SINGLE fucking day.

Pete!

Ah, Pete, a very amusing grammatical swap of SINGLE and LONG.  However, I believe the sentence would better give the required emphasis if the qualifier "fucking" were placed before the adjective, rather than the noun.

"It's been a fucking long day" specifically stresses the ennui of the day length as opposed to "It's been a long fucking day" which might indicate an over-extended period of procreational activity.

What we need on this website is a grammatical pedant.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 06:33:29 am by Qwerkey »

Offline Qwerkey

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2019, 10:12:27 am »
For the most part, this thread has been about SUBs rather than FUNCTIONs which was the original query.  Just to finish off about FUNCTION which normally passes arguments By Reference (exactly as a SUB), you can pass the arguments By Value by enclosing the arguments inside brackets - again just as in a SUB

Code: QB64: [Select]
  1. e = 1
  2. f = 2
  3. g = 3
  5. d = DoSomething((e), (f), (g))
  6. PRINT d, e, f, g
  8. d = DoSomething(e, f, g)
  9. PRINT d, e, f, g
  11. FUNCTION DoSomething (a, b, c)
  12.     DoSomething = a + b + c
  13.     a = a + 1
  14.     b = b + 1
  15.     c = c + 1

In the first calling of the Function, parameters e, f and g do not get modified by the FUNCTION.  In the second calling, they do get modified.  I still don't like that happening in a FUNCTION.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2019, 01:37:10 pm »
Ah, Pete, a very amusing grammatical swap of SINGLE and LONG.  However, I believe the sentence would better give the required emphasis if the modifier "fucking" were placed before the adjective, rather than the noun.

"It's been a fucking long day" specifically stresses the ennui of the day length as opposed to "It's been a long fucking day" which might indicate an overly long period of procreational activity.

What we need on this website is a grammatical pedant.

What we need is a grammatical procreative pedant :D

I was about to compliment you on the () thing but alas, that can't be used (like ByVal) in the function definition. :(
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 01:39:28 pm by bplus »

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2019, 02:56:44 pm »
You'll have to excuse Richard. He's had a fucking day long!

Pete

The Grammar Police are copyright The QBasic Forum. Any duplication of use will be prosecuted to the extent of the fullest law.
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/