Author Topic: Tank Walls 2  (Read 4035 times)

Offline SierraKen

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
Tank Walls 2
« on: July 04, 2019, 12:35:07 am »
Here is the full game version of my new game called Tank Walls 2. I'm 99.9% sure I'm finished with it but would love to hear what you all have to say about it. I made 20 different map levels. Every 100 points (10 points per hit) you advance to the next level. After level 20, it goes back to map 1 but the amount of levels still increase, forever. I have only gotten to level 3 myself so far. LOL And I haven't checked all of the code yet in that it switches back to 1 yet, but I'm pretty sure it will work fine. I'm putting the whole zip file on this forum so you have everything together. Keep the walls folder inside the Tank Walls 2 folder. Just open the zip file and copy the Tank Walls 2 folder to your computer. I didn't include the compiled EXE version but feel free to compile it for your own computer. All I ask is to not sell it of course. This is the best computer game I've ever made. :) I just hope you have as much fun playing it as I had making it. Was an incredible learning experience, something I will always remember. And I thank you all again for the help and suggestions. I wouldn't have gotten this far without you.
* Tank Walls 2.zip (Filesize: 36.46 KB, Downloads: 226)

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
    • View Profile
Re: Tank Walls 2
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 02:44:00 am »
Very nicely done.... Just the right amount of 'retro' sound effects... Now, if you can include a swarm of angry aliens and a mega-boss, the game would be perfect... as long as you include a God Mode... lol  Nah. Kidding about the aliens and mega-boss.... Great job!
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.

Offline Petr

• Forum Resident
  • The best code is the DNA of the hops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 10:23:47 am »
It is funny :-D

Offline SierraKen

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 12:28:12 pm »
LOL thanks guys! :)

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 01:59:35 pm »
Great job on adding red tank movement while blue tank is firing!

I noticed after playing a bit that some stray red bullets are left on the screen. If it isn't too hard to fix that, it would be a nice refinement. I used to track the position of a bullet, and make sure that it was always cleared from the screen when exploded or otherwise terminated.

So one line of praise, and one suggestion for improvement, but when I take the the whole game development into consideration, I'd say you did 99 things right, and just have that one refinement you may or may not want to consider for any further versions.

"Tanks" btw, for not being a "snowflake" about suggestions. We had one ice, ice baby on here who thought his apps were solid gold but in reality, they were the after-product of what some space alien would produce after having solid gold for breakfast.

Well, if you ever decide to add additional features, you might want to consider a ricochet effect. You just place triangular objects within the maze, and when a bullet hits one, it turns the corner! That's a bit harder to program than it sounds, but it would add an extra dimension that could kick in more and more as the player advances.

All in all, congrats, you made a REAL game! I say that with a lot of admiration, because you saw an idea through to completion. A lot of programmers just put some code together to demo a concept, which is fine, as it is all about learning, anyway, but few actually finish a project and have a winner in the end.

Nice job, and I hope you keep coding and posting to the forum!

Pete

Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline SierraKen

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 03:42:27 pm »
Wow thank you Pete! I didn't even think about ricocheting. I could do it the same way I made Ping Pong, that's on my website. I'll post the URL to my website below so you can see all of my programs I've made so far in the last month or so, since I started QB64. I used to program in QBasic in the 90's and before that Apple 2e BASIC, etc. But I mostly always stayed in BASIC. But yeah this is the best game I've ever made. Oh, I tried really, really hard to delete all the leftover bullets, etc. but for some reason something gets in the way somewhere and it stays sometimes. I might look into that more if I make a Tank Walls 3. I might even look into BOSS enemies (from that other suggestion someone had lol ), or more than 1 enemy tank at the same time, if I can.
Here is my website:
http://ken.x10host.com/qb64/

Offline SW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 03:28:52 am »
w/o wall shoot and turn any side to get funny guided shell :)

Offline SierraKen

• Forum Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 11:54:53 am »
Yep SW, at first I didn't mean it to do that but then I remembered the guided shell from Atari 2600's Combat and really liked it so I kept it. :)