Author Topic: Graphical IDE. Should we all pitch in and make one?  (Read 18271 times)

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Graphical IDE. Should we all pitch in and make one?
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2018, 09:53:37 am »
Python IDEs: https://realpython.com/python-ides-code-editors-guide/

C++ IDEs: https://www.tecmint.com/best-linux-ide-editors-source-code-editors/

Java IDEs: https://www.lifewire.com/best-free-ideas-for-java-developers-2373185

ASM IDE: http://www.visualmasm.com/

These are the things I see "modern" IDEs have that the QB64 IDE does not:

- Push buttons that equate to menu entries already there
- Tabbed coding (kinda cool actually, like tabbed browsing)
- A hierarchical tree representation of code (QB64 F2)
- A console window

But at the heart of all of them they are just fancy text editors. Sublime Text, one of the most popular editors for a number of languages, strips the IDE down to even less than what the QB64 IDE offers. The only big difference is as you say, they are all graphics based, but graphic windows displaying text.

it will NEVER be accepted by the masses without one

How do you know this? As I stated before, I've programmed many languages with many different style IDEs over the past 35 years, and the only reason I ever gave up on a language was because of its syntax and ease of use, not because of its IDE (although VB's IDE gave me headaches).

If you want a windows based IDE then look into configurable IDEs (like Sublime Text) and create a QB64 identity file for it. Configure the compiler option to point to QB64. RhoSigma did this with Notepad++ for those wanting a different IDE experience.
In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Offline codeguy

• Forum Regular
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2018, 10:53:08 am »
One feature not yet mentioned but wouldn't involve breaking away from the IDE or compatibility is culling unused subs/functions/line labels from the source, both intrinsic and via $include. This would be an easy and efficient process following either import or during precompilation. I'd suggest during precompilation especially as alterations to code while editing may require code that would otherwise require them. Code not the object of call, goto, gosub or dead code not used or a dependency is definitely ripe for this type of processing. This will not affect compatibility with the original qbxx IDEs, only add a feature that's useful for reduction in compilation time and generated executable size. Simple analysis following OpenInclude() would be on the order of 15000+ lines/GHzS., Quite acceptable.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:00:29 am by codeguy »

Offline codeguy

• Forum Regular
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2018, 11:07:03 am »
Also, Terry, C FOR loops can be indefinite ;;, or use pre/post increment. ++i != i++. Not too difficult to understand but definitely different in their characteristics.

Offline Omerta7486

• √𝜋²
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2018, 11:46:22 am »
I’m not arguing against the IDE changes, but there are many more issues to resolve than just that. Better, more complete, documentation for one. More complete F1 command help. Maybe, when you mouse over commands it could pop up sample syntax to give you a quick look at the command. For example, you type the command mid$(), then mouse over it and get the suggested syntax pop up:
mid$(str$, start byte, bytes)

Documentation that reveals the basic syntax goes a long way with BASIC dialects to make it even more accessible to beginners and professionals alike. I mean, we don’t have trouble with BASIC’s syntax, obviously, but that would speed up the process even for us. We’ve all been here:

“Ok. I just need to get the middle of that string, and... Oh, wait. What’s the syntax for mid$, again? Wiki break!”
The knowledge that's seeking the favor of another means the murder of self.

Latest version of my game, here  Omertris: Invasion

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2018, 11:53:27 am »
You did try hitting F1 though, right? Also right clicking a keyword?

Offline RNBW

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2018, 02:45:52 pm »
Graphical IDE. 

When I first used QB64 I found Dav's IDE http://www.qbasicnews.com/dav/projects.php#DAVSIDE

I find it much easier to use and certainly easier on the eye than the QB64 native IDE. It's not perfect, but if there was a call for it, perhaps Dav would consider developing it further, or even consider making the code available so that others could have a crack at it.

Anything I do on QB64 is coded using Dav's IDE.  If you haven't tried it, give it a go, you may be pleasantly surprised.

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2018, 03:04:56 pm »
Welcome to the forum RNBW.

You're right. Dav's IDE is a really good alternative for QB64's IDE.

Offline Dav

• Forum Resident
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2018, 04:55:25 pm »
Well, thanks for the compliment on the IDE.   I think I'll dig up the source and stare at it a while and see what happens.  Maybe with a fresh start now I can improve on it - at least add the new QB64 keywords to it.

- Dav

Offline Bert22306

• Forum Regular
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2018, 05:07:05 pm »
Hey, I just found Dav's IDE online, tried it out, and yeah. That's kind of what I had in mind, when I said that a more Windows-like presentation would be good too. I also like the way the REM statements don't have the multicolored text in them. The way I use REM, just as ', makes no sense to have different colored words.

I'm not doing something right, though, because it won't run the program, even if the program is showing up in the IDE and even when the IDE is in the same location as the QB64.exe IDE. Obviously not pointing to the compiler correctly.

Offline Dav

• Forum Resident
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2018, 05:15:25 pm »
I'm not doing something right, though, because it won't run the program, even if the program is showing up in the IDE and even when the IDE is in the same location as the QB64.exe IDE. Obviously not pointing to the compiler correctly.

Hmm, in the DavsIDE.ini file (in the qb64 folder) is the correct compiler path shown? (like...compiler = C:\qb64\QB64.EXE).  Also, try manually setting up the compile path again under Compile/Compiler options/Specify QB64 folder to use.  Also, what OS are you using?

- Dav
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 05:17:23 pm by Dav »

Offline RNBW

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2018, 05:27:29 pm »
Dav
Thanks for your IDE.
As you say you must set up the link to the compiler as you have described.  I have successfully used Dav's IDE on Windows 7, 8/8.1 and 10.  It is currently used on the latest Windows 10.
It's good to hear that you will dig out the code and see where it can be improved.

Offline Bert22306

• Forum Regular
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2018, 05:39:04 pm »
Hmm, in the DavsIDE.ini file (in the qb64 folder) is the correct compiler path shown? (like...compiler = C:\qb64\QB64.EXE).  Also, try manually setting up the compile path again under Compile/Compiler options/Specify QB64 folder to use.  Also, what OS are you using?

Yes, the path to qb64.exe is shown in the DavsIDE.ini file. And I'm using Win10.

The compiler path is set correctly, pointing to the qb64.exe file in the qb64 folder. The error message is that the IDE "cannot locate source file," even though the source file is open in the IDE. I have my .bas files one folder back from the qb64 folder.

The other thing is, I couldn't find a setting to have the IDE not come up fullscreen. Not a big deal, but just one more click. And when opening the folder to the source .bas files, I like the .. option in the default IDE, which brings me right to where my .bas files are.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 05:51:25 pm by Bert22306 »

Offline RNBW

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2018, 06:05:35 pm »
It seems rather odd.  I've never had the problem you report.

It you just type:
   PRINT "Hello World"
and click on compile without first saving it as a file; does that compile.  It should compile to a temporary file.

Offline Dav

• Forum Resident
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2018, 06:09:13 pm »
I sure don't want to take over this thread for help with my IDE, so I'll plan to stop after replying this time. Perhaps we can continue on another one. 

I think I may know the probelm, Bert. Is your BAS file located in a folder name with a space in it..(or in the filename)?  My current IDE has some bugs - one of which is that it doesn't pass along spaces correctly to QB64 when compiling BAS filenames/folders that have spaces in them.  If yours does, try removing the space in the folder/filename.  If that's not it, then I'd have to figure out something else.  About the auto fullscreen, yeah I can see where that would not be wanted by some, and I can remedy that in a new version. Actually a very early IDE version used to remember its window size and position, but I removed that for a very important reason but can't recall at all now what it was.  I can see about putting it back in.

- Dav

Offline RNBW

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2018, 06:45:43 pm »
I think I may know the probelm, Bert. Is your BAS file located in a folder name with a space in it..(or in the filename)?  My current IDE has some bugs - one of which is that it doesn't pass along spaces correctly to QB64 when compiling BAS filenames/folders that have spaces in them. 

I think you may have found the answer.  I set up a test folder that had a space in the name (called it Test Folder).  I put two files with the same code but different names "Hello World.bas" and "Hello.bas" in the folder.  Neither file compiled and said source file couldn't be found.  After removing the space in folder name (now TestFolder), both files compiled.