Author Topic: Redo Board Game in QB64  (Read 2847 times)

Offline Donald Foster

Redo Board Game in QB64
« on: March 04, 2018, 01:22:40 am »
Hello All,

Thanks to the new features of v1.2, I was able to write this game in just 2 days. My biggest problem has been careless mistakes, misspelled variable names that can take days, weeks or months to find.

Redo is a 2 player board game played on a 7x8 board with 28 double sided pieces. Each player has 14 pieces lined up in the last 2 columns on their side of the board. Player 1 plays the white side pieces and player 2 plays the red. Piece are similar to those in Othello with the same goal, to have the most pieces flipped to their color at the end of the game. The game is tracked by points. The game ends in 1 of 2 ways, if neither player can make any move or if both players skip their turn consecutively.

player's pieces move forward direction only, straight, diagonally forward right or diagonally forward left. The can not move sideways or backwards. A single piece counts as 1 point. A single piece can move 1 space in it's allowed direction and land on 1 of it's own single pieces, then a tower is formed of the 2 pieces together. The tower is identified by having double sets of rings in it. However, the tower only counts for 1 point and now you have less pieces on the board your color. But, you can use the tower to jump over an opponent's piece, moving in it's allowed direction, and landing in an empty space just beyond the jumped piece. The jumped piece is flipped to your color.

After a piece is moved, some of the pieces surrounding it is flipped to your color. The piece that flip is in front you, straight, diagonally forward left and diagonally forward right and both sides. And, of course if you jump over a piece, that pieces is also flipped, even if it's behind you.

If on your turn, the only move you can make is forming a tower, than you can skip your turn. But only if it is the only move you can make. There is a Pass Move but that is grey during normal game play. If making towers is the only moves left, then the button should change to white and you are allowed to pass your turn by pressing the button and the play goes to the next player. If by chance that player on its next turn also presses the pass Move button, the game will end.

At the end of the game, if both players have the same score, the game ends in a tie, else the winner is the player with the highest score.

Hope you enjoy playing.

Donald
* Redo.bas (Filesize: 12.74 KB, Downloads: 218)
* Redo Board Game Rules.docx (Filesize: 341.47 KB, Downloads: 244)
Redo Screenshot.png
* Redo Screenshot.png (Filesize: 95.09 KB, Dimensions: 1095x765, Views: 401)

FellippeHeitor

Re: Redo Board Game in QB64
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 03:35:07 am »
Thanks to the new features of v1.2, I was able to write this game in just 2 days. My biggest problem has been careless mistakes, misspelled variable names that can take days, weeks or months to find.

<3