Author Topic: Linux Build gives Segmentation fault when trying to start  (Read 1347 times)

Offline zombienerd

Linux Build gives Segmentation fault when trying to start
« on: October 01, 2018, 02:31:22 pm »
I compiled QB64 under Debian 8, no errors were thrown.  The program ran just fine the first few times.

I then installed some other programs (mostly linux games), as well as the Debian Firmware udpates for the graphics, and rebooted.

Then, when I try to run the program, it will not start.  I tried from a terminal, and just got "Segmentation Fault".

I tried re-compiling, but no errors were thrown.  The program still will not start, throwing the seg fault.

Is there any way to get a more verbose error to start troubleshooting?  Has anyone run into this before?

Offline Fifi

• Forum Regular
    • My small QB64 contribution
Re: Linux Build gives Segmentation fault when trying to start
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 03:06:16 pm »
Hi zombienerd,

No problem with Debian 9.

So, I'll try tonight with a fresh install of Debian 8 plus all its security updates and will come back later to give you the result.

Fifi
It's better to look like an idiot for a short time while asking something obvious to an expert than pretending to be smart all your life. (C) Me.

Offline zombienerd

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 03:22:09 pm »
I installed gdb and ran a backtrace, it seems to be related to the video card drivers.

I'll try installing the proprietary ones if I can find them, and try again.

Offline zombienerd

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 03:48:16 pm »
So it seems that it's a problem with this old laptop.  With the graphics firmware installed, it breaks the OpenGL ability somehow. 

Granted, this laptop is from 2001 or so. 

When I removed firmware-linux-nonfree QB64 works again, but some of the games I installed afterwards won't.

Oh well.  It was mostly for my 8 year old to write some programs out of a book, she can live without the other games :P

Offline Fifi

• Forum Regular
    • My small QB64 contribution
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 08:50:02 pm »
Hi zombienerd,

I just reinstalled Debian 8 and all its security updates and used both the old install script as well as my own and all was ok (for both QB64, InForm and vWATCH when using my multi tongues bash script).

Obviously, I guess that your problem definitely is on your hardware with its specific drivers.

Sorry to not be able to help you further since I don't have a similar PC.

Cheers.
Fifi
It's better to look like an idiot for a short time while asking something obvious to an expert than pretending to be smart all your life. (C) Me.