Author Topic: Show us where the QB64 magic happens!  (Read 22726 times)

Offline Dav

• Forum Resident
Re: Show us where the QB64 magic happens!
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2018, 09:03:08 am »
Hey Terry, I picked up another T430 for only $75+tax!  Great condition too.  I originally went to the pawn shop to look for instruments and saw a T430 sitting there for only $99.  They took $80 out the door. 

I am wanting to upgrade the HD on this one to a SDD like you did, and was wondering which one you choose for your T430 (I haven't had a SDD before).

- Dav

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2018, 12:07:31 pm »
There are two SSDs I trust.

For outright speed I go with these:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-500GB-Internal-MZ-76E500B-AM/dp/B0781Z7Y3S/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1539101091&sr=1-1&keywords=samsung+ssd

If I'm not too particular about speed but still want the convenience and power savings of an SSD I go with these:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-240GB-Solid-State-SDSSDA-240G-G26/dp/B01F9G43WU/ref=sr_1_3_acs_ac_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1539101162&sr=1-3-acs&keywords=sandisk+ssd

I've never had a problem with either manufacturer. Samsung is considered the best in the industry and are a bit pricier because of this. If you go with Samsung make sure to run the Samsung Magician software that comes with them. It makes them fly!

I can't believe you are finding these laptops so cheap!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 12:08:55 pm by TerryRitchie »
In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Offline Dav

• Forum Resident
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2018, 12:55:33 pm »
Thanks for the links, Terry!  I will probably go with one of those.

Yeah, I got lucky again.  Using the pawn shop website search engine, I see there are a few more T430's in their inventory around $100, but none are near me.  I'm set now on laptops anyway.   

- Dav

Offline luke

• Administrator
  • Seasoned Forum Regular
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2018, 07:43:47 am »
My desk is incredibly boring in comparison. Laptop, coaster, pens, notebook, whiteboard/pinboard, thermometer, random arduino in the corner. Black spots in image courtesy of a dodgy phone camera.

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2018, 07:52:20 am »
Is that coaster marble?

Offline STxAxTIC

• Library Staff
  • Forum Resident
  • he lives
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2018, 07:59:57 am »
Wow no real mouse? How do you tolerate the ugh... jeez what's the legit word called... ummm..... whatever I can't type it: https://xkcd.com/243/
You're not done when it works, you're done when it's right.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2018, 08:40:34 am »
My eyes are so bad, I thought it was a small cat sitting in the corner.

No wonder he prefers typing.

Offline luke

• Administrator
  • Seasoned Forum Regular
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2018, 09:04:00 am »
The coaster is some sort of stone, it was a table place name from a wedding. I don't think it's real marble though.

I keep a wireless usb mouse in the draw for the rare times I need it. Mainly for playing games. The clit mouse was a factor when buying the laptop :)

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2018, 11:05:22 am »
Nice Thinkpad!

Offline STxAxTIC

• Library Staff
  • Forum Resident
  • he lives
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2018, 10:55:03 pm »
When facing forward and backward, respectively:

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2018, 11:09:40 pm »
I wish my fireplace was close to my workspace. A very nice area to work in.

Offline Bert22306

• Forum Regular
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2018, 04:49:41 pm »
[banned user]:

1. Oh, I thought that was a urine specimen.

7. Oh, I thought you liked pink. I'm not here to judge!

That one monitor is bigger than most TV sets, even these days.

Offline Bert22306

• Forum Regular
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2018, 08:12:42 pm »
I won't bother taking a picture of the Dell laptop, which I use always for work. QB64 is loaded on that laptop too. The attached photo is my main setup, for fun stuff rather than just work.

Left bottom shelf is the Dell OptiPlex Small Form Factor, w/ Core i7. Above it is a Sangean so-called WiFi tuner. On the right side are the stereo preamp and amp. The monitor is an LG HDTV. OptiPlex to LG connection is HDMI. All the audio goes to the stereo preamp and amp. You can also see on the bottom the wireless mouse and an edge of the keyboard. Then, two vintage Dahlquist DQ10 speakers in front, Polk subwoofer on the right, two small satellite speakers for ambience effects in the back (not in photo).

I use the OptiPlex for just about everything. Watching TV (99.9% of which I stream over WiFi), listening to Internet radio (if not using the Sangean), for web browsing, for writing programs, playing CDs and DVDs, all through the sound system and the LG TV.

Anyway, that's why I have fun with coming up with a good sounding QB64 music player.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 08:16:48 pm by Bert22306 »

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2018, 10:07:22 pm »
@Bert

We've replaced Walter's regular Diet Dew with a urine specimen. Let's see if he will notice!

Actually what Water won't admit to is you are right. It is a urine specimen. It's Walt's newest security measure to prevent out of control spam from entering [banned user] Site. If successful, you will need to have a clean sample, as any traces of drugs or alcohol, which could lead to aberrant posting, will be detected by the security software. I heard he completed his project, and now just needs beta testers. I volunteer Bill. Bill, all you need to do is download Walt's software, log onto [banned user] site, obtain a sample. and pour it directly onto your keyboard. If the site allows you to post, you're clean. If the monitor goes blank, well you can buy a new one after you sober up. Please share your results with Walter, as if this beta version is successful, he intends to go on to make version 2.0, which will also detect social media diseases. Thanks for trying: You're In! v1.0.

@Walt

Stop drinking that diet crap. It's full of chemicals that are not kind to the body and if it worked for weight loss, Americans wouldn't be twice as fat as when this crap was first brought to market. We want you around and healthy for a long time.

Pete
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 11:56:36 pm by Pete »
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline STxAxTIC

• Library Staff
  • Forum Resident
  • he lives
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2018, 10:35:48 pm »
Lol @ Pete.

Deal, I'll try it - so long as you volunteer to try my new security measure against "shitposting"... I'm sure you can imagine what I'm stepping in here.