Author Topic: Show us where the QB64 magic happens!  (Read 22808 times)

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Show us where the QB64 magic happens!
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2018, 11:40:36 am »
Glad to hear you are ok Dav. Have you guys seen the pictures from New Bern NC? Wow, I used to live there years ago. Amazing to see 10+ feet of water downtown.

Steve, all this time I thought you lived in Michigan?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 01:21:24 pm by TerryRitchie »
In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2018, 12:20:55 pm »
...No need to worry about me up here, guys.  I'm perfectly safe, and I'm happy and relieved to hear that Dav is too!  ;D

Worried about Steve? Everyone who lives downstream of Steve should be the ones who are worried... when he types he's "relieved!"

I didn't think we'd hear from Dav so soon, with power outages. Glad he found a place to get to and is OK. It seems the rain event is even bigger in some parts than was expected, so I guess it all depends on how much the rivers overflow. It is no help the storm will hook back over the mountains of NC.  Dav, I hope your home stays dry and the trees are not an issue. I'm glad the wind was minimized, in that regard.

Pete
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 01:56:28 pm by Pete »
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2018, 01:31:56 pm »
Glad to hear you are ok Dav. Have you guys seen the pictures from New Bern NC? Wow, I used to live there years ago. Amazing to see 10+ feet of water downtown.

Steve, all this time I thought you lived in Michigan?

Nope.  I'm here: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.0506057,-80.3009689,18z/data=!3m1!1e3. Always been here as well, which you can tell as they named the road after my family...

Well, MISNAMED the road after my family.  They left an L out of the McNeill.  /CRY /LOL!!

It's about 20 miles outside Blacksburg and Virginia Tech, so most folks can relate to the area due to the shooting that took place on campus there a few years back.  Believe it or not, I had been offered a job to help teach at Norris Hall the year before the shootings took place; though I didn't accept it, thankfully!!  Had fate turned just a single step different in my life, I would've been right there when and where Cho was shooting and killing everybody.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech_shooting

Never been quite as happy to have turned down a job as I did that one. 
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2018, 01:47:53 pm »
Clippy would disagree. You would have been fired long before that shooting ever happened dirt farmer!!! Oh no, I'm channeling Clippy again. Dammit, now I need a shower. Oh, and Bill sends his condolences from an alternate universe.

Pete
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2018, 03:55:17 pm »
Hi Steve
thanks

Good news that Dav and you are safe.
But is Pete safe?

PS I cannot do a photo to my coding camera because it is my notebook TOSHIBA (uran area/sorry)
but Steve gives me how to show you the street where I code :-)
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7463307,14.6417227,604m/data=!3m1!1e3
Programming isn't difficult, only it's  consuming time and coffee

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2018, 04:55:36 pm »
A better question, my Italian friend, are you guys safe from Pete? The National Windows Service recommends boarding up your browser and heading for higher encryption.

I'm on the other end of it in California. When we see fires, we run. I almost lost a rental property this year, and within that same month I had to evacuate my family as a precaution against another fire that fortunately did not get as out of control as was initially anticipated.

At this point I think we have to put people in front of these stupid environmental concerns. As humans, our goal should not be to populate the world with other species we wouldn't miss. There are only about 6 species that are necessary to supporting life, and Democrats aren't one of them.

The Carolina's will cost record amounts of money to repair, because labor is the most expensive it has ever been in history and there are more people living in the flood zones than ever before in history. As one local official put it, Carolina authorities will have to take a hard look at rebuilding permits, but let's face it, there is not enough will in government to make these types of mass common sense changes. Too many lawsuits, stories of hardship, and lack of ready alternatives will stack the deck right back in favor of the next event. I mean could you imagine all those rivers being in-accessible because like the Los Angeles River, they are all encased in a retaining wall that would be some 20 feet or more taller than the average water level? Well, that's what it would take to choose the welfare of residents over the "beauty" of nature. Maybe someday when God grows up, his parents will get him something better than the 100-centilian piece universe kit this ***-hole planet was put together with. Oh well.

Pete

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2018, 05:51:10 pm »
Hi Pete
so you are safe for Florence but not for other things...

A better question, my Italian friend, are you guys safe from Pete?
But do you really think that we can be safe on WWW?
I think no! But it is the same risk that we face each time we use car or chopper o airplane...

About your experiences...
i can understand your feelings just a little. For many years, from when I was child, in my country has been arised the emergency about fire, ("self-burning of whole woods" and as many times a comic person of TV used to stress that the only Sicilia has many more forestalmen than the whole Canada; think you about how many forestalmen are in the whole italy! But periodically the self-burning  makes disasters and victims!). But my shining country has another periodical problem about nature's forces: floods; it seems that it is needed just a little period of rains that there are landslides and floods in the whole country, both in rural zone both in towns. Have we so poor teached ambientalists or is each problem  as an actress of the moment that must leave the scene to the next problem staying with no resolution ? Just for example in my town there are still a good part of population that have lost his house in 1980 heartquake that are living in temporary prefabicated house.
In my country Pulcinella used to say "Ogni munno è paese" ... translated "Each world is like your village, your country" but with this sentence I go accross from your nichilist prospective https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism to the indifference populist prospective https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_apathy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populism.

Programming isn't difficult, only it's  consuming time and coffee

Offline Zeppelin

• Zeppelin Games ItchIo
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2018, 09:02:01 pm »
Great to hear that everyone is ok.
Just an idea, but someone make a discord so that we can chat and not disturb the forum?
I think it will help people with small problems and you get notified when someone needs help.
Pretty good I think

Zeppelin
+[--->++<]>+.+++[->++++<]>.[--->+<]>+.-[---->+<]>++.+[->+++<]>+.+++++++++++.----------.[--->+<]>----.+[---->+<]>+++.---[->++++<]>.------------.+.++++++++++.+[---->+<]>+++.+[->+++<]>++.[--->+<]>+.[->+++<]>+.++++++++++.+.>++++++++++.

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2018, 09:29:07 pm »
We do have a chatroom: http://www.qb64.org/ircpage.html

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2018, 01:55:16 pm »
WOW!! Slept late and just woke up this afternoon (it's now 1 PM)...  Checking the local news, I just found out they called in the National Guard for my county!!  Things here at my home haven't been that bad; we've had rain, rain, and more rain, but it's had no real impact on me, personally.  (If you check the google map link I included above, you'll see my house is built in a nice flat spot on top of the mountain, with no streams right on top of us.  My ancestors chose an EXCELLENT place to settle and build, hundreds of years ago, before there was any competition on real estate here.)

Others, however, are learning a bit about the natural difficulties of poor geographic judgement in building homes.  Take one mountain here, another there, and the spot in the middle. Is JUST BEGGING FOR TROUBLE! 

/\    <--- pretend this is a mountain.

/\ /\    <---  now, rain on top of them and tell me where the rain in the middle goes...

Runoff from both sides fills the valley VERY QUICKLY, and mudslides and flash floods are natural occurrences.  Locals know not to build in these areas, but outsiders (usually city folks from places like New York) will buy land, bulldoze a hole into the side of the hill, and then be UTTERLY SHOCKED when nature doesn't like their home placement.

For the first time EVER, the issue has finally gotten so bad, THEY CALLED IN THE NATIONAL GUARD, to basically save these people from themselves.  I honestly can't understand why ANY insurance company would cover these idiots, and I can't understand why ANYONE would rebuild in a spot that nature has already PROVED to be a bad idea, but they do.  Over and over and over again...

I swear, I just don't understand people anymore.  They just never seem to learn from their life experiences any more. 
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2018, 02:18:07 pm »
Thank you Steve for providing us with an excellent geographical example... in SCREEN 0! (The only screen mode anyone needs.) Well, at least it helped me understand it.

I'm really glad you won't be affected. I do feel for the people who are. I know if you build on the beach, it's a gamble and people routinely have to rebuild and usually calculate those losses against their desire to wake up and see whales humping off their front porch. Me, I just live 2 miles from the ocean and watch the Whale Humping Channel after everyone else has gone to bed. That reminds me, I have to substitute something other than Cheetos for my go-to late nite snack selection.

I wish we could keep someone like President Trump in office for whatever time it takes to deal with our infrastructure problems. It's the only thing the stupid Democrats are supposedly in favor of as well, but with them in charge I'm certain they would screw it up. Beyond bridge and road repair what we really need are the creation of new cities built in relatively safe places or we need at risk places suitably protected. Of course even New York could be hit by an 8.0 earthquake, it's happened before but before modern development. Obviously the cost of un-skewing a teepee is a lot less than rebuilding a skyscraper. No perfect solutions here but I agree, modern building just sets people up.

Many years ago when I built a home I selected a development much in the way Steve's family did. We did have one terrible year of rain that lead to a development just a half mile away being flooded up to two feet inside people's new homes. Our development was high and dry, because it was built up and at a higher location to boot. When your city is part of an old geographical flood plane, things like that need to be taken seriously. If they would have build up the other development a lousy two-feet, it would have been fine. As if what, dirt is too expensive?

Anyway, I hope Dav gets some good news, soon.

Pete

Offline OldMoses

• Seasoned Forum Regular
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2018, 09:17:33 pm »
This Old Moses likes his sun porch and rocker. So whipping up a bit of plywood in the shop that slips over the arms securely, and my new Lenovo Ideapad sits nice and secure. I spend many productive and unproductive hours here.  [ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]  

Offline OldMoses

• Seasoned Forum Regular
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2018, 09:32:38 pm »
It's about 20 miles outside Blacksburg and Virginia Tech, so most folks can relate to the area due to the shooting that took place on campus there a few years back. 

I relate to it as caving country. Though I usually don't get as far south as Blacksburg for caving, I tend to turn west at Lexington.

It's kind of hard to find a good cave surrounded by all this flat. ;) https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2833225,-76.0585497,277m/data=!3m1!1e3

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2018, 09:44:08 pm »
That's nice, OldMoses! But don't you get dizzy?

Offline OldMoses

• Seasoned Forum Regular
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2018, 10:58:18 pm »
That's nice, OldMoses! But don't you get dizzy?

LOL, that's my natural state so I rarely notice. I have to say the view is good while I'm pondering my next coding moves.