Author Topic: Is rolling your own really that important?  (Read 2987 times)

Offline Unseen Machine

• Forum Regular
  • Make the game not the engine!
Is rolling your own really that important?
« on: July 24, 2017, 10:43:59 pm »
I don't ask many questions but two posts on different gui's on a brand new forum...you guys forced my hand...

So...only two game libraries exist for QB64...UnseenGDK and Terry's sprite library which is actually based on GDK. Terry's lib focuses on sprites whilst GDK is more versatile...either way, both work...people still go make their own spriting routines though...

InForm is really good. Unless multiple windows is a must, I would use that, albeit my edited version that supports OpenGL....VQB is my go to though...supports multiple windows that can move, be resized, maxed, minimised, closed and multitask...again...the tops exist already but people must persist in rolling their own! Why?

Unseen

Offline SkyCharger001

Re: Is rolling your own really that important?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 02:59:21 am »
A. While a library might perform the tasks you desire, sometimes they don't do it with the efficiency you desire.
B. Using a third-party library might require you to violate you own rules of programming.
C. You may wish to understand the low-level aspects of what is being done.
D. There might be licensing issues (if not with the library directly then with how it's sub-libraries are licensed.)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 04:44:31 am by SkyCharger001 »

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 09:09:37 am »
E.  If it's your own work, it's easier to troubleshoot, edit, and customize.
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline Petr

• Forum Resident
  • The best code is the DNA of the hops.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 10:30:46 am »
Hi Unseen, this is because everybody is otherwise advanced and hence manages only some level of programming (than he understands what he does not understand to get on higher level), so I could not use your library  in my beginning of my programming because I simply did not understand her. I'm not ashamed to say so. If you have read the [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] forums, you know that I did not even begin to understand why to start with P5JS until Ashish and Fellippe had shown me some programs.
But I want to thank you for your library, it is very nice of you to share this great piece of work with us. And I'm glad you showed up on this forum. For more UnseenGDK library users, please share some UnseenGDK demos. Thank you.

Offline SkyCharger001

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 11:04:55 am »
E.  If it's your own work, it's easier to troubleshoot, edit, and customize.
Guess you can call C a corollary to that. (or vice versa)

Offline keybone

• Forum Regular
  • My name a Nursultan Tulyakbay.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 04:15:45 am »
I don't ask many questions but two posts on different gui's on a brand new forum...you guys forced my hand...

So...only two game libraries exist for QB64...UnseenGDK and Terry's sprite library which is actually based on GDK. Terry's lib focuses on sprites whilst GDK is more versatile...either way, both work...people still go make their own spriting routines though...

InForm is really good. Unless multiple windows is a must, I would use that, albeit my edited version that supports OpenGL....VQB is my go to though...supports multiple windows that can move, be resized, maxed, minimised, closed and multitask...again...the tops exist already but people must persist in rolling their own! Why?

Unseen

What's so great about VQB? Maybe you should make a topic for your GUI instead of talking shit. :D
Also, it is most definately necessary to keep trying to roll your own, I hope people do, and continue to post them.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 04:37:16 am by keybone »
I am from a Kazakhstan, we follow the hawk.

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 03:51:31 pm »
Dear Unseen

again...the tops exist already but people must persist in rolling their own! Why?

Unseen

IMHO
1. the pleasure to make something of yours
2. the will to understand how to manage an issue or a set of issues
3. the fun to become crazy for a single mystyping that bugs a well projected code
4. the lazyness of studying  the library....(it needs a robust documentation and many examples to be clear for users)

but it is so beautyful that a good coder (one of the best) share his work to the others,
think that also I share my little poor code... for someoneelse can be useful as model of what to do or NOT to do :-)
Programming isn't difficult, only it's  consuming time and coffee