Author Topic: QB64 problem with virtualized Xubuntu in Virtualbox  (Read 3638 times)

FellippeHeitor

Re: QB64 problem with virtualized Xubuntu in Virtualbox
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 11:36:38 am »
Ah, no idea. Whatever comes default.

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.

Offline samuele

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 04:19:51 am »
I hope this helps...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

Thanks, but I meant the minimum requirements of QB64 and not Ubuntu.

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 10:50:13 pm »
My mistake for not sensing your need.

I do not know the system requirements but there is wiki that might help: https://qb64.org/wiki/QB64_FAQ

J
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.

Offline codeguy

• Forum Regular
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2019, 12:42:00 am »
the problem with Mac hardware environments is that their GPUs are generally quite deficient to support demanding graphical applications on top of the usual system requirements. They just don't have the GPU horsepower. Even in native mode OSX, these do not have the requisite horsepower to run complex or demanding games and your ability to upgrade this hobbling factor may be next to zero.

Offline samuele

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2019, 03:27:46 am »
the problem with Mac hardware environments is that their GPUs are generally quite deficient to support demanding graphical applications on top of the usual system requirements. They just don't have the GPU horsepower. Even in native mode OSX, these do not have the requisite horsepower to run complex or demanding games and your ability to upgrade this hobbling factor may be next to zero.

My MacBook Pro has two video cards:
- Intel UHD Graphics 630
- Radeon Pro 555X 4GB

Do you think they are not powerful enough to run QB64 in a decent way?

Perhaps the problem is VirtualBox? Boh, I do not know.

I'm not starting games, I'm just trying to start the IDE and start writing some simple programs.

Offline Ashish

• Forum Resident
  • Never Give Up!
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2019, 05:15:51 am »
@samuele
That video cards are enough to run QB64. QB64 just require OpenGL 1.1 (and some FBO extension) and you have much powerful video cards. For RAM, QB64 will use less than 200MB of RAM for simple program. Problem might be with Oracle's VB. Try to re-install it or check that you are running correct 32bit or 64bit latest version of it.
if (Me.success) {Me.improve()} else {Me.tryAgain()}

My Projects - https://github.com/AshishKingdom?tab=repositories
OpenGL tutorials - https://ashishkingdom.github.io/OpenGL-Tutorials

Offline samuele

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2019, 05:56:29 am »
@samuele
That video cards are enough to run QB64. QB64 just require OpenGL 1.1 (and some FBO extension) and you have much powerful video cards. For RAM, QB64 will use less than 200MB of RAM for simple program. Problem might be with Oracle's VB. Try to re-install it or check that you are running correct 32bit or 64bit latest version of it.

I've already tried. VirtualBox works well with everything else except when starting QB64. At this point I think maybe they are not compatible.

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2019, 06:27:15 am »
As I said it, I have a very similar setup and use VirtualBox with the exclusive purpose of running QB64. There is no incompatibility. What you have is either bad settings or a MacBook that's beginning to beg for mercy.

Either way, try using QB64 just as a compiler if you end up not figuring out the best settings for your VirtualBox machines: Use any other editor to code, then use ./qb64 -x file.bas to compile your programs in the virtual environment.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 06:33:49 am by FellippeHeitor »

Offline samuele

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2019, 09:19:57 am »
As I said it, I have a very similar setup and use VirtualBox with the exclusive purpose of running QB64. There is no incompatibility. What you have is either bad settings or a MacBook that's beginning to beg for mercy.

Either way, try using QB64 just as a compiler if you end up not figuring out the best settings for your VirtualBox machines: Use any other editor to code, then use ./qb64 -x file.bas to compile your programs in the virtual environment.

My notebook is from 2018, so I think it's pretty powerful. Maybe it's some VirtualBox setup. Could you post some screenshots of your Virtualbox configuration so I try to replicate it on my computer?

Offline codeguy

• Forum Regular
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2019, 04:18:49 pm »
Enjoy the OPENGL compatibility for a few more years as its support will be nullified, being replace by Apple Metal APIs. This process of eliminating OpenGL support has been ongoing and there is no support for the newest version. Perhaps it may be time to rethink strategy for keeping compatibility once OpenGL is entirely removed from the Apple ecosystem. Many game devs are unhappy about this and understandably so.