Author Topic: [dev build] Fixing an old bug regarding recursion in QB64 - Testers wanted!  (Read 22987 times)

Offline RhoSigma

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
Re: [dev build] Fixing an old bug regarding recursion in QB64 - Testers wanted!
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2021, 05:35:31 am »
@FellippeHeitor
I agree with the changes you did to QB64, I think that the compiler is treating recursive functions properly now and gives meaningful error messages if you attemp to use the function name as a variable :)

+1
yes, the error messages will definitly be helpful identifying parts of existing code which need refactoring, so far I've catched 12 functions (not GuiTools related) in my programs, which I'll fix first before fighting with the monster, GuiTools :)
My Projects:   https://qb64forum.alephc.xyz/index.php?topic=809
GuiTools - A graphic UI framework (can do multiple UI forms/windows in one program)
Libraries - ImageProcess, StringBuffers (virt. files), MD5/SHA2-Hash, LZW etc.
Bonus - Blankers, QB64/Notepad++ setup pack

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2021, 05:05:09 am »
Great job!
More backward compatibility.
Milestone changement that requires efforts of coders to change some behaviors based on the previous uncorrect feature.
Great community of QB64
Programming isn't difficult, only it's  consuming time and coffee

Offline Dav

• Forum Resident
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2021, 09:40:08 am »
Tried out the 32-bit Dev build this morning.  I made sure to test it on my games that use a recursive floodfill routine to make sure all works ok.  Working very well. 

Only thing I noticed is that the font size change wouldn't work at all on first run. It did the next time I started QB64.  No big deal of course, but I don't remember that happening before. 

Ayway, the recent changes to QB64 work great.  Well done!

- Dav

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2021, 03:27:17 am »
Tried out the 32-bit Dev build this morning.  I made sure to test it on my games that use a recursive floodfill routine to make sure all works ok.  Working very well. 

Only thing I noticed is that the font size change wouldn't work at all on first run. It did the next time I started QB64.  No big deal of course, but I don't remember that happening before. 

Ayway, the recent changes to QB64 work great.  Well done!

- Dav

Great to hear, @Dav! Thanks for helping me test it.

@TempodiBasic: Thank you!

@RhoSigma: you'll notice the latest dev build now calls itself 2.0 😉

Offline RhoSigma

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2021, 03:42:10 am »
Thanx @FellippeHeitor for your hard work, downloading the latest build just now.

Fixing my non-GuiTools stuff is almost done. Surprising to me is, that most of the things which need refectoring regarding the recursion behavior are of newer dates (post GuiTools). Older code, in part still from my QBasic 1.1 times is not affected. A prove that it wasn't possible there and I just started adapting it when I started GuiTools and realized I could use the function name as a variable directly in QB64. A bad decision, when looking back now :(

And now with this post I finally became a QB64 Developer and Forum Resident, yeah....
GuiTools - A graphic UI framework (can do multiple UI forms/windows in one program)

FellippeHeitor

And now with this post I finally became a QB64 Developer and Forum Resident, yeah....

BTW, becoming Forum Resident is due to posting frequency. Becoming a QB64 Developer happened when you contributed to QB64 itself, so setting your status here was long overdue.

@Cobalt has also been "promoted". Thank you gentlemen for your work in QB64.

Offline RhoSigma

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
BTW, becoming Forum Resident is due to posting frequency. Becoming a QB64 Developer happened when you contributed to QB64 itself, so setting your status here was long overdue.

Ah, makes sense now seeing other "Forum Residents" without being "QB64 Developer", two different things.

To get to the latest dev build, as far as I can tell, everything is working as expected on my side, also finished refectoring of GuiTools and others regarding the fixed recursion bug and not treating the function name as variable anymore, so updates comming soon...

Offline Cobalt

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
  • At 60 I become highly radioactive!
@Cobalt has also been "promoted". Thank you gentlemen for your work in QB64.

😎 Schweet! 😎

Granted after becoming radioactive I only have a half-life!

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
@FellippeHeitor Might I suggest a different title, if possible on the forums.  Instead of QB64 Developers, call us QB64 Contributors.  Rho, Cobalt, and I, (and several more folks) have pushed a few changes into the repo and have contributed to QB64, but we're not really part of the Development team. 

We can’t, for instance, tell someone when the next release is coming out, what the next stage of future development might contain or which way it might develop next, and we have no control over the forums, repo, or other such aspects of the project.  We can write and contribute code that we like, to make additions or corrections, but we're not really Developers. 

New forum members shouldn’t see those Developer tags beside names, as we can only truly make educated guesses on those type subjects.  You and Luke should keep the QB64 Developer titles for yourselves.

(Just my opinion, and in no way is meant to belittle Rho or Cobalt getting the new tag.  They’ve both contributed to the project and deserve some nice recognition for that.  But there really should be one more level of ranking in there so folks won’t misassume we’re the ones with ultimate control over things, when we’re not.)
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!