Author Topic: Files needed to run Compiled EXE on MacOS  (Read 1529 times)

Offline dzeek

Files needed to run Compiled EXE on MacOS
« on: May 14, 2020, 06:00:02 am »
I need to distribute an EXE that I compiled in QB64 on MacOS to other MacOS users. What files do I need to include with the EXE in order for them to be able to run it?

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Files needed to run Compiled EXE on MacOS
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 09:39:19 am »
No files are required on the QB64 end. Any asset files you used (images, sounds, etc..) will need to be included.
In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 11:03:04 am »
Yes
in the SDL version (previous QB64 1.0) you have had to include in your distribution the SDL libraries that must be in the same folder of the executable or in an universal path and more the resource files for the EXE.
in the GL version no added file must be distribuited together the executable file (execpt for all resource files that the EXE needs).

Programming isn't difficult, only it's  consuming time and coffee

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 11:24:28 am »
Yes
in the SDL version (previous QB64 1.0) you have had to include in your distribution the SDL libraries that must be in the same folder of the executable or in an universal path and more the resource files for the EXE.
in the GL version no added file must be distribuited together the executable file (execpt for all resource files that the EXE needs).

I was going to include the information about SDL prior to 1.0 but .DLL files are Windows only correct?

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 11:25:47 am »
Correct.

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 12:58:24 pm »
Thanks for feedback
so SDL needs library only in Windows version while in Mac and Linux at that time you were able to make a single excutable!
In that time I imagined that as in Windows also in the other OSes SDL used own support libraries.
Thanks I learn more each time I read in this community.
Programming isn't difficult, only it's  consuming time and coffee

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 03:20:46 pm »
Thanks for feedback
so SDL needs library only in Windows version while in Mac and Linux at that time you were able to make a single excutable!
In that time I imagined that as in Windows also in the other OSes SDL used own support libraries.
Thanks I learn more each time I read in this community.

I believe Linux and MacOS needed to have the SDL dependencies loaded locally before a QB64 .EXE would execute. There was no way to distribute an executable and have it run without the recipient's system having SDL installed first.