Author Topic: InForm connection issues on certain Debian Linux systems  (Read 3060 times)

Offline Casteele

InForm connection issues on certain Debian Linux systems
« on: February 11, 2020, 05:15:40 pm »
Hi, I cannot "reply" to add this to the previous topics on this subject.

For my Debian 9 (Stretch) machine, InForm would have communication timeout issues during startup. Previously, the "patch" presented to fix this was to disable the timeout completely, which was less than ideal.

However, after updating QB64 and InForm to the latest from GIT and having to go back and re-patch, I found that it is not necessary to disable the timeout entirely; I simply changed the timeout from 10 to 120 (it takes about that long for the communications to finally go through on my machine), without disabling or changing anything else in the code.

Therefor, I am suggesting that rather than requiring users to patch their installations, that the timeout in the official releases be changed to 120 as a minimum, perhaps with a message asking the user to be patient while loading and connecting. Perhaps also include a configuration option to manually set the timeout value? Another idea is to ask the user for a timeout value (and default to X if no user input provided in Y seconds) or present a "Continue to wait longer?" option/button when it does timeout. Or any combination of the above options.

Regards!

FellippeHeitor

Re: InForm connection issues on certain Debian Linux systems
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 08:07:40 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion and for reporting on the ideal timeout for Debian distros, Casteele. I'll be patching the next version for Linux users.