Author Topic: Keybone windowing system (update)  (Read 4586 times)

Offline keybone

• Forum Regular
  • My name a Nursultan Tulyakbay.
Keybone windowing system (update)
« on: February 17, 2018, 02:05:25 am »
Post Deleted
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 08:47:20 am by RCcola1987 »
I am from a Kazakhstan, we follow the hawk.

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
Re: Keybone windowing system (update)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 06:27:31 pm »
Nice! I made one of these for fun myself, a few years ago. I still need to work out a glitch that didn't translate correctly form SDL to GL.

So when I minimized "_" a window, if just disappeared. No task bar yet? Anyway, I couldn't get it back. I love the detail, very Windows-like, including the desktop background, nice! I couldn't figure out maximize. I'd open a window, click the arrow up icon, but nothing happened.

Question, is drag smooth on your system? On mine, there is notable lag between the mouse cursor and the window. Mine does that too. Terry Richie thought my graphics card was slow. That is probably true, as I don't do gaming. We have different coding approaches, so my guess would be there is no way to get the drag improved without a faster card installed. What I don't get is that my actual windows icons do not experience that lag with drag. Anyway, blabbering aside, I really enjoyed having a go with it.

Pete (Tell Bill to insert Smiley here)
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline keybone

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 12:31:24 am »
Nice! I made one of these for fun myself, a few years ago. I still need to work out a glitch that didn't translate correctly form SDL to GL.

So when I minimized "_" a window, if just disappeared. No task bar yet? Anyway, I couldn't get it back. I love the detail, very Windows-like, including the desktop background, nice! I couldn't figure out maximize. I'd open a window, click the arrow up icon, but nothing happened.

Question, is drag smooth on your system? On mine, there is notable lag between the mouse cursor and the window. Mine does that too. Terry Richie thought my graphics card was slow. That is probably true, as I don't do gaming. We have different coding approaches, so my guess would be there is no way to get the drag improved without a faster card installed. What I don't get is that my actual windows icons do not experience that lag with drag. Anyway, blabbering aside, I really enjoyed having a go with it.

Pete (Tell Bill to insert Smiley here)

The minimize button is the second button from the right, the button all the way to the left is the close button.
In Windows 3.1 that button also brings up a menu.

The maximize functionality is disabled in this build. Not because it doesnt work, but because none of the windows i created have any need to be maximized.

I made it to look as much windows 3.1 as possible as it was my first os, and i have nostalgia for it.
I actually studied screenshots of it in order to make it pixel accurate.

Thanks for comments Pete.
Btw, its weird having more posts than you :D

Also, to answer your question, it does drag smoothly on my computer, its not the fastest drag ever but it works. :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 12:36:25 am by keybone »

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 01:46:40 am »
Well, enjoy having more posts while you can, because I'll wise crack my way up to overlord in no time.

Until then, here is what I was working on a few years back, in SDL. When Rob switched to GL, it screwed my perfectly good working bugless system up. What you'll notice, should you decide to try it, is the "File" tag is misaligned, and when you drag the window, it prints the f all over the screen. That never happened in the SDL version, same code.

In mine you can drag the window, minimize it to the task bar, restore it, maximize it, drag resize it from the top, sides, bottom, or corners, and drag the vertical and horizontal scroll bars.

If anyone knows why the SDL and GL versions display differently, please let me know.

I'd post the code but this POS forum can't handle it, so I uploaded it as an attachment.  Come on guys, even N54 can take code files this big. No wonder there are no smilies around here :(

Pete

* graphics-scroll-bar57.bas (Filesize: 57.19 KB, Downloads: 293)
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline keybone

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 02:15:55 am »
Well, enjoy having more posts while you can, because I'll wise crack my way up to overlord in no time.

Until then, here is what I was working on a few years back, in SDL. When Rob switched to GL, it screwed my perfectly good working bugless system up. What you'll notice, should you decide to try it, is the "File" tag is misaligned, and when you drag the window, it prints the f all over the screen. That never happened in the SDL version, same code.

In mine you can drag the window, minimize it to the task bar, restore it, maximize it, drag resize it from the top, sides, bottom, or corners, and drag the vertical and horizontal scroll bars.

If anyone knows why the SDL and GL versions display differently, please let me know.

I'd post the code but this POS forum can't handle it, so I uploaded it as an attachment.  Come on guys, even N54 can take code files this big. No wonder there are no smilies around here :(

Pete

Nicely done, I couldnt even begin to figure out why that F appears on the screen though.
I'm sure a lot of stuff changed internally from sdl to gl, theres probably some snippet of code that needs to be changed somewhere.

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 12:33:29 am »
Ah, I see your mine icon has window resizing drag. NIce!

Pete [:)] In North America, we have real smilies.

Offline keybone

• Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 12:00:57 pm »
Ah, I see your mine icon has window resizing drag. NIce!

Pete [:)] In North America, we have real smilies.

Yep, you can also edit objects.bi and enable/disable any other functionality.

-1 is enabled, 0 is disabled.

ie.

ZORDER(currentsize).isMaximizable = -1

that will enable maximize functionality for whichever window.
Not sure how well it will work, since none of the windows i created are meant to be maximized.

Eventually ill probably come up with something better than that method of configuration.

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 02:04:08 pm »
What? That configuration is fine. It's not important, anyway. What is important is now I have more posts here than you!

Pete [:D] But apparently still no smilies.

PS Do you have anything along this line? http://qb64.thejoyfulprogrammer.com/showthread.php?tid=1229&pid=6191&rndtime=151907612147897506#pid6191

Offline keybone

• Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 01:11:17 am »
What? That configuration is fine. It's not important, anyway. What is important is now I have more posts here than you!

Pete [:D] But apparently still no smilies.

PS Do you have anything along this line? http://qb64.thejoyfulprogrammer.com/showthread.php?tid=1229&pid=6191&rndtime=151907612147897506#pid6191

Never did much along the lines of an interpreter. Btw, congrats on the more posts than me... I assure you ill never catch up. :D