Author Topic: Error downloading file from dropbox  (Read 990 times)

Offline Juanjogomez

• Forum Regular
Error downloading file from dropbox
« on: February 06, 2022, 03:43:45 am »
Hi all,
Until now, I was using a utility to update my clients' programs using a program pointed out to me by SpriggsySpriggs and SmcNeil at this link: https://qb64forum.alephc.xyz/index.php?topic=4454.0;prev_next=prev#new
All I had to do was change the final dl=0 to dl=1.
Everything was going fine until yesterday, when the program did not download the file and gave an error: "Error : HTTPQueryInfo" and the program closed. Do you know if there has been any change in Dropbox that makes it not possible to download the files in this way?
Thank you and regards

Offline Juanjogomez

• Forum Regular
Re: Error downloading file from dropbox
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 07:21:09 am »
Does anyone know anything about this error?
So far the program that SpriggsySpriggs gave me has worked fine.

Offline Juanjogomez

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 05:48:48 am »
Can anyone help me?

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 08:25:57 am »
Can anyone help me?

AS far as I know, nothing has changed with dropbox.  My links still work the same as always.

All I can suggest is to check the link itself to the dropbox file and see what happens.  Change it back to dl=0 and see what comes up.

A HTTPQueryInfo error usually indicates something is wrong with the website itself.  Is the file shared to the public?  Do you have permission to download it?  Does it require logging into an account to view/edit/download? 

Believe it, or not, this really isn't a Dropbox community.  Oddly enough, this is a set of forums dedicated to the QB64 programming language.  Who knew?!!

I would think, that if you really wanted help for a Dropbox issue, you might want to bring that up and ask it over at Dropbox's official community:  https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/English/ct-p/English  I imagine you'd be much more likely to get a reliable, detailed explanation of what the the issues might be and how to resolve them there, rather than here. 

After all, if nobody here has managed to answer your query after a week, with multiple bumps to the post, you might want to seek solutions elsewhere....  Oddly enough, it seems we're not the repository for "All questions computer related". 

Who knew that either?!!
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline Juanjogomez

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 02:40:52 pm »
Thanks for answering.

I apologize for the insistence, but until now I have always had answers to the questions I have had.

First of all say that I am very grateful for the efforts of all those who are developing QB64. I had a program that had been outdated in QB45, and now with QB64 and the possibilities it has to work with SQL databases, remote connection, use of laser printers, etc, etc, etc. they have made it possible to completely renew it.

On the specific subject of this post, it all started when I asked for help to see how I could download files from dropbox so that my program would update automatically. SpriggsySprigss gave me a program that worked perfectly and I was able to use and adapt (from here my thanks to him), and you yourself told me that I should change the link ending from d=0 to d=1 so that it could be downloaded (thanks also for aid).

The problem arises when, for a few days, that program does not work and gives me the error "Error : HTTPQueryInfo". Since I don't know how the program that SpriggsySpriggs told me works
 (my knowledge of QB64 is limited on that subject) that's why I asked for help again thinking that something had changed so that the program no longer works. I don't think the Dropbox community can tell me where the problem is with a program written in QB64.

I am sorry to have bothered you with my insistence.

Greetings