Author Topic: Hello, newbie here  (Read 1184 times)

Offline fistfullofnails

Hello, newbie here
« on: April 05, 2021, 01:29:40 pm »
I've tried to learn programming at least four different times and I do not guess Ive really failed at it, because here I am trying again.  Last attempt was with Smilebasic4 on my switch and I was actually able to progress somewhat in accomplishing some things i was slightly proud of.  However, i hit a wall and the documentation seems to speak as if it presumes you already know a lot of the lingo and have an understanding of some things already.  The only somewhat active forum seemed to also presume you knew what was going on and such.  Even though I've read a lot of trashing of the various forms of Basic on the internet as a first language to learn, it just seems to make sense to me because it doesn't seem to hide? anything much.  It seems things like python seem to run on autopilot in terms of making sense.  Seems as though with python, you are using your phone to translate and speak a foreign language for you and then thinking  you are fluent, but if someone took your phone away, you wouldn't have any idea how to speak in that language anymore.  Whereas with basic, once your translating phone was taken away, you would still have somewhat of an idea and ability to communicate with people, because you know how some of the internals work.  Anyways, I'm hoping this place may have more support for noobs and active community than smilebasic4.  I've looked through the forums and don't really see a particular place for beginner tutorials or whatnot.  Any suggestions on where I might start from the ground up.  I apologize if there is an obvious room for noobs and I missed it.  I have very severe ADHD and I tend to overlook things sometimes.  The ADHD is a large factor in my inability to progress past a certain point on my own.  I get overwhelmed when many terms or concepts I don't know get thrown at me all at once.  I remember when first starting and going to stackoverflow to ask questions, and the answers left me more confused than the original problem i was having.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
Re: Hello, newbie here
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 01:42:15 pm »
Hi @fistfullofnails

This is good starting tutorial but best to practice and play with ideas until automatic.
https://www.qb64sourcecode.com

If you get stuck on anything we are here to help :)

Offline SpriggsySpriggs

• Forum Resident
  • Larger than life
    • GitHub
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 01:47:55 pm »
SmileBasic is awesome. I've used it on my DSi, 3DS, and Switch. I'm also using FuzeBasic on Switch. I've not much experience with any of them in particular since I don't have the sort of mind for making games. I used to have a decent PDF manual for SmileBasic. If I can find it I'll give it to you.

P.S. FuzeBasic even allows for keyboard and mouse usage, I think
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 01:50:48 pm by SpriggsySpriggs »
Shuwatch!

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 09:00:22 pm »
Hi fistfullofnails
this is a good goal
I've tried to learn programming
but I think that you must choose a more specific goal so you can evaluate how is going your travel in the sea of programming.
(for example:
programming for game
programming for database
programming for office applications
programming for multimedia (graphic / sound / animation) applications
programming for science applications)

Beginners All purpuses Symbolic Instruction Code = BASIC that for someone can mean simple

but you are going into QB64 the reinassence of QuickBasic and QBasic of Microsoft, with more power added like  managing of mouse, of image files, of sound and music files, Opengl power graphic, external OS or custom DLL libraries and more and more...

Welcome in this community
Programming isn't difficult, only it's  consuming time and coffee