Author Topic: Inform update problem on Windows.  (Read 16620 times)

Offline Fifi

• Forum Regular
    • My small QB64 contribution
Inform update problem on Windows.
« on: December 14, 2018, 06:02:06 am »
Hello Fellippe,

I did not use Windows for a while, so I could not see the problem sooner.

This morning (December 14 - 2018), I started InForm (beta 7) on Windows and it was proposed to me to upgrade to beta 8.

So, I accepted but I had the following error: Failed to download the update script. Update failed.

Where am I wrong?

Cheers.
Fifi
inform-pb.png
* inform-pb.png (Filesize: 28.81 KB, Dimensions: 503x454, Views: 531)
It's better to look like an idiot for a short time while asking something obvious to an expert than pretending to be smart all your life. (C) Me.

FellippeHeitor

Re: Inform update problem on Windows.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 06:25:16 am »
Just let it try again. The server must have been busy.

Also, make sure no firewall is blocking InForm/updater/InFormUpdater.exe
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 06:31:57 am by FellippeHeitor »

Offline Fifi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 06:41:28 am »
Hi Fellippe,

Just let it try again. The server must have been busy.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to retry because since the update process has already started once, it seems that when you close and restart InForm, the "Check for online updates at startup" option no longer runs.

May I suggest that you also add an option "Check for Updates Online Now".

So, I'll wait until tomorrow to see if I can restart the update.

Cheers.
Fifi.
It's better to look like an idiot for a short time while asking something obvious to an expert than pretending to be smart all your life. (C) Me.

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 06:59:48 am »
When InForm has issues reaching the server it may disable auto updates in the Options menu. If that's the case, just ticking it enabled again serves as Update Now.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 07:00:51 am by FellippeHeitor »

Offline Fifi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 01:29:31 pm »
Hi again Fellippe,

When InForm has issues reaching the server it may disable auto updates in the Options menu. If that's the case, just ticking it enabled again serves as Update Now.

After the failure, the Update in the Option menu was still on.

So here is what I did:

1) togle the option Off
2) quit UiEditor
3) Reboot Windows
4) Launch UiEditor
5) togle the option On
6) quit UiEditor
7) Reboot Windows
8) launch UiEditor
9) and... the update window stil does not appear.

Where am I wrong?

BTW, during the first attempt that failed, some files were succesfully downloaded as you can see in my previous picture.

So, is there a parameter to change somewhere to tell InForm to check again your update server?

I know I could simply download the new version and reinstall it, but that would not fix the current problem.

Cheers.
Fifi
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 01:32:42 pm by Fifi »

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 01:33:51 pm »
InformVersion.bas may have been prematurely updated. Check if it still says beta 7. If it doesn't, it's safe to manually edit it.

Offline Fifi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 04:44:02 pm »
Hi again Fellippe,

InformVersion.bas may have been prematurely updated. Check if it still says beta 7. If it doesn't, it's safe to manually edit it.

I just dug a little bit into the InForm folder and found that several files had already been updated, such as InformVersion.bas and InformUpdate.ini which both indicate version 8 while still in version 7.

Please find attached the complete InForm structure and files with their date to check for possible missing files since I do not know if the full update was done, except obviously the script to run the update itself.

In the meantime, let me suggest another safer way to proceed with future updates:

Instead of downloading file by file all the components required for the upgrade, why not create a single compressed file with all the necessary changes, then download and extract it to a temporary subfolder (for example, InFormTemp), then compile the necessary new components, and then, only when everything is in order in this temporary subfolder, simply delete the original InForm folder and rename the temporary folder accordingly.

So, any failure to download the compressed file or create new needed components will not jeopardize the previous installation of InForm or the current update process as it is currently.

In addition, it would be easy to restart the upgrade safely at any time.

What do you think?

BTW, what should I do know to redo the update process?

Cheers.
Fifi
* InForm.zip (Filesize: 2.51 MB, Downloads: 262)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 04:46:42 pm by Fifi »

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 04:58:25 pm »
Safest and quickest route at this point: get the installer from http://www.qb64.org/inform/download/ and run it on your QB64 folder. That'll fetch the latest version.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 05:45:44 pm by FellippeHeitor »

Offline Fifi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 08:29:37 pm »
Hi Fellippe,

Safest and quickest route at this point: get the installer from http://www.qb64.org/inform/download/ and run it on your QB64 folder. That'll fetch the latest version.

Sure, that the safest and easiest way that I'll do to another folder to play with the beta 8 while keeping the current till you find a solution (I've enough space on my 2 Tb. SSD).

However, that doesn't fix the current update problem in case of failure and that's why I posted my suggestion for future upgrades.

Using a tempporary folder is what I do for safety with my install script for Linux. In case of failure (downloading or compiling), nothing is done on the system.

Cheers.
Fifi