Author Topic: Project looking for Programmer (I can't do it myself)  (Read 18484 times)

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
Re: Project looking for Programmer (I can't do it myself)
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2021, 08:20:18 pm »
Hi Daniel3D
I think I have missed the point:
new modded cars are only in garage folder or also in STUNTS folder, thinking that Garage is a subfolder of STUNTS?
Separate cars in own directory/folder must be copied into garage folder or into STUNTS folder?

Please choose a direction to follow.
Programming isn't difficult, only it's  consuming time and coffee

Offline Daniel3D

« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2021, 01:51:18 am »
Cars should be in one location. To use they need to be in the game folder. To store for later they go in the garage.

Other options are of no use at the moment but aimed at future additions that might be.
Just to be flexible and future proof.

Offline Daniel3D

« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2021, 04:24:14 pm »
new modded cars are only in garage folder or also in STUNTS folder, thinking that Garage is a subfolder of STUNTS?
Separate cars in own directory/folder must be copied into garage folder or into STUNTS folder?
You didn't miss the point. I was unclear again.

Separate cars in own directory/folder must be copied into garage folder or into STUNTS folder to be able to be used.
Their own folder is for storage/backup/save keeping or something like that.

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2021, 05:27:46 pm »
@Daniel3D
Ok I got it. But I have some pending thought that I communicate with this following scheme

SOURCE -----------------------------> DESTINATION

1. (Ok clear)
Original STUNTS files----------------> all copied

2. (please clearer)
                                                       |----> all files copied
New files (cars, tracks and so on)-----| ? What to do?
in STUNTS  modded                          |---->only selected files copied

3.  (please clearer)
                                                    |----> all files copied
Garage Folder-------------------------| ? What to do?
                                                    |---->only selected files copied

4. (Ok clear)
                                                                                 |----> storing a copy in different path -->all files copied
Other folders with new files (cars, tracks and so on)-----|
                                                                                 |                                                                      |--> in garage for future use
                                                          (please clearer)|---->installing for use  only selected files copied |
                                                                                 |                                                                      |-->in STUNTS for actual use
                                                                                                                                                                                 max 32 cars

waiting your answers I can affirm that the simplest way (copy all new files standing in STUNTS folder and the whole GARAGE folder) is ready to be finished, while installing cars from other paths and installing only selected files must be supported by a listbox that must be coded.

Offline Daniel3D

« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2021, 10:21:15 am »
@Daniel3D

1. (Ok clear)

2. (please clearer)
                                                       |----> all files copied
New files (cars, tracks and so on)-----| ? What to do?

3.  (please clearer)
                                                    |----> all files copied
Garage Folder-------------------------| ? What to do?

4. (Ok clear)
                                                                                 |                                                                      |--> in garage for future use
                                                          (please clearer)|---->installing for use  only selected files copied |
                                                                                 |                                                                      |-->in STUNTS for actual use
                                                                                                                                                                                 max 32 cars

1. (Ok clear)

2. (please clearer)
                                                       |----> all files copied
New files (cars, tracks and so on)-----|                                                    |-- Both options are valid

3.  (please clearer)
                                                    |----> all files copied
Garage Folder-------------------------|                                                     |-- Both options are valid

4. (Ok clear)
                                                                                 |---->installing for use  only selected files copied |
                                                                                                                                                                                 max 32 cars

// i could not read it well on my phone, but actually this is right on the money.

=================
Two important things about tracks and car files.. I think you know them already, and in that case I apologize for repeating myself.
Track files have the extension trk. They can be accompanied by a high score file (*.hig) and a metadata file (*.smd) 
[the metadata part is new for me to, never used it but it is used in the community]
In all cases the file name is identical. They should always move as one.

Car consist of 4 files always. The car abbreviation is always in the filename.
Prefixes and Extensions (correct):
CAR          .RES
STDA          .VSH
STDB         .VSH
ST              .3SH

The original cars have packed files. They have a P at the start of the extension, and the last character is removed. So VSH becomes PVS.
The game doesn't look at extension when finding a car but at the four characters. For the default car that is the Lamborgini Countach the letters are COUN.
CARCOUN.RES and so fort.

The four files should always move as one.
=================
I hope I was clear.
Thanks again.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 04:19:26 pm by Daniel3D »

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2021, 08:09:27 pm »
Hi Daniel3D
I hope I was clear.
Thanks again.

Repetita iuvant
so thanks for replying and saying again the ideas

Both options are valid
ok we take it all
just some time more and it will be finished.

Offline Daniel3D

« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2021, 11:11:15 am »
Really looking forward to it.

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2021, 06:06:08 pm »
Hi
I'm testing the application.
Under window98 it is ok, it needs only admin security permission.
But running in DOSBOX I'm getting a strange issue with the path of destination, nevertheless I'll try again on other machine under DOSBOX.
See later.

Offline Daniel3D

« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2021, 01:39:47 am »
If it works on MS-DOS and win98 I'm very happy
DOSBox would be great, but it ain't a problem if that doesn't work.
I'll blame it on DOSBox :)

Offline Daniel3D

« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2021, 02:50:32 pm »
Hi
I'm testing the application.
Under window98 it is ok, it needs only admin security permission.
But running in DOSBOX I'm getting a strange issue with the path of destination, nevertheless I'll try again on other machine under DOSBOX.
See later.
There shouldn't be any file permission problem within the DOS environment, unless DOSBox is configured to emulate the disk on a directory in the host OS that does have permission restrictions

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2021, 03:19:40 pm »
Daniel3D
I must be clearer

The program has been coded in QBasic/QB (no QB64 feature in it) so you can compile it with QB45.

I'm using QB64 IDE in Windows 8.1 and testing it I have found a permission denied issue that is not a problem because in DOS there is not that control on files.

Running the program in Qbasic loaded into DOSBOX 0.74-3 I have had a strange result. The program has created a destination folder in the real c:\ of computer and not in the c:\ mounted by DosBox!
I'm searching to understand how this is possible! I use just a MKDIR of Qbasic in the code.
Later today I think to be able to test the code in other machines.

Offline Daniel3D

« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2021, 06:18:12 pm »
that sounds like something that should not be possible. I hope you find the problem.

Offline Daniel3D

« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2021, 06:33:40 am »
I've been searching for this online for the last couple of days. As far as I can make out this should not be possible. So it's either a fluke or a bug (in DOSBox).
I don't believe that this is caused by your code.

Offline Richard

• Seasoned Forum Regular
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2021, 08:48:03 am »
@Daniel3D

You may already know this but ...

Have you tried DosBox-X which is released Nov 2021, instead of DosBox released Jun 2019?

DosBox-X, which I have not yet tried myself, is a fork from the DosBox project, can also support Linux and Mac OS - the later may allow the expansion of your Stunts community base with Mac users.

Hope this may be of help for you.

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2021, 07:50:52 pm »
Hi Daniel3D
about the strange bug it didn't come back running code into QB under DOSBOX.
So I must suppose that it is a bug of 03.00 AM o'clock! :-)
Nevertheless there are some difference in performances between running the code into QB64 and running the code in QB under Dosbox.
The first is that MKdir doesn't like a "\" at the end of the string of the name of folder to create.
Then I fall in Out of Stack!
Then in an issue to GET a string from Binary files.
Now all these are fixed. And I have tested the program about copying original folder using the list and it is ok.
Now I'm testing the full copy of a folder with mods to a destination path, and the possibility to make a selection of what to copy to destination.

@Richard:
I'll google for Dosbox X to see if there are some significative differences about the program in developing.