Author Topic: Yet another feature request idea - toggle a QB64 window for read-only mode  (Read 1506 times)

Offline hanness

• Forum Regular
Sorry, I already had one idea today that I posted earlier, but here is another.

There are times when I open 2 QB64 Windows side by side so that I can compare some existing code from one Window and start making modifications to a copy of the file in the other window. However, there are times where I accidentally started doing code updates in the wrong window. It would be great if there was a toggle to make one window a view only window. That way, if I started trying to type into the wrong window and saw that nothing was happening (or maybe even a beep could play), I would have instant visual feedback that this is my view only window.

Offline Richard

• Seasoned Forum Regular
Re: Yet another feature request idea - toggle a QB64 window for read-only mode
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 12:08:08 am »
@hanness

Best of luck trying to get developers to do this - had this kind of issue before (multiple instances of QB64).

My work around was simply to have for the second instance (say the one where it is to be read only) a IDE background of RED (say). Note that if you "exit" the second instance (normally) then the color background (instance number 2) is saved in the config.ini file (qb64\internal\ folder). Of course this assumes that you were only using the exact same qb64 folder for both instances (i.e. not using 2 completely different qb64 folders to launch the two instances).

Also, without any luck myself, asked for both manual refresh and auto refresh buttons for QB64 IDE.

Hope this helps you.

Marked as best answer by hanness on September 26, 2021, 07:40:18 am

Offline Petr

• Forum Resident
  • The best code is the DNA of the hops.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 06:27:26 am »
@hanness

Hi. The editor built into Total Commander will be perfect for this purpose. You go to the file and press F3 - and you read the file without the possibility of editing. Is supported Ctrl+F for fast search. Plus, it has a different look, so you don't just get so easy confused. Or there is a second option - to make your own BAS file reader - without the possibility of editing, with row and column numbering, as the IDE has. It shouldn't be that complicated (if we're really just talking about primitive content browsing without text formating).

Total commander can be downloaded from ghisler.com website.

Offline hanness

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 11:40:02 am »
Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a try.