Author Topic: Show us where the QB64 magic happens!  (Read 22811 times)

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
Re: Show us where the QB64 magic happens!
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2018, 08:55:47 am »
And here's an image of the old QB64 magic at work...

Does anyone else tend to do their serious programming like this, with half a dozen instances of the IDE open to various SUBS/FUNCTIONS or segments of code, for ease of quick self-reference?

I think I would be nervous opening multiple instances of the same program and doing development work. Would all the edits be saved correctly?

With tabbed files held statically like in Notepad++ , I still loose track of edit work!  ;( 'course that could just be me. ;)

Offline Petr

• Forum Resident
  • The best code is the DNA of the hops.
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2018, 09:22:41 am »
Basically, nothing else is left if you are tuning several sources in BI and BM files. There is then a very useful possibility of direct opening from the IDE. Of course, it is better to develop something as a separate and self-running program, but it sometimes happens that something needs to be fine-tuned. I use it, in last time much.

Offline luke

• Administrator
  • Seasoned Forum Regular
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2018, 10:54:31 am »
I do occasionally find it useful to have the same file opened in two halves of the screen (using an editor that supports that kind of thing), though bookmarks are also very handy.

If you're using the ide there's also F2 which proves to be useful.

Offline STxAxTIC

• Library Staff
  • Forum Resident
  • he lives
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2018, 11:32:28 am »
I'm the kind of person who shuts off the computer when not using it, closes all browser tabs, closes everything, and cleans the desk. I also don't pollute my vision with toolbars, favorites, trinkets, widgets, or any of that jazz. My desktop stays pretty much empty. I disobey Windows at every step of the way. My Documents, empty. Downloads, empty. Pictures, empty. All important data is/are saved to a separate partition than the one Windows is on, and then uploaded to my server. This makes every computer I sit at - public or private - a viable workstation for me, and I never have moments like "oh that thing I need is saved elsewhere". Was using a homemade cloud before it was cool.

That said, I never have the same file open twice, let alone open twice for edits. You *trust* your computer enough to handle that? I tend to leave complexity management where it belongs in my life - in my head!
You're not done when it works, you're done when it's right.

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2018, 04:10:32 pm »
@SMcNeill

Hi Steve
please tell me your set of colors of QB64IDE  I find yours good for eyes...
Thanks
Programming isn't difficult, only it's  consuming time and coffee

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2018, 05:04:38 pm »
@SMcNeill

Hi Steve
please tell me your set of colors of QB64IDE  I find yours good for eyes...
Thanks

It's basically the default color scheme with just the background set black instead of deep blue.  Just change that one aspect in the options and you're good to go.  :)
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
« Reply #96 on: November 27, 2018, 02:09:41 am »
Thanks I got it!

and here under the form of string for intenal/config.txt

Code: QB64: [Select]
  1. Scheme3$ = "QB64 DARK|226226226147196235245128177255255085085255085085255255000000000000108177000147177"

Programming isn't difficult, only it's  consuming time and coffee

Offline Fifi

• Forum Regular
    • My small QB64 contribution
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2018, 07:28:49 pm »
Hi,

Staying back to the topic..., a year and a half ago or so, that was my "little" lab to develop and test my scripts on various Linux distributions using a bunch of old machines.

http://www.as2.com/pictures/mon-labo-1.jpg
http://www.as2.com/pictures/mon-labo-2.jpg

But I've recently switched for a more convenient single Apple iMac 27 (RAM 32 Gb, SSD 2 Tb, OS/X 10.9.5 plus a second Apple 27" Thunderbolt screen and two external disk dock stations) on witch I run all my Linux distros as well as different Windows releases (XP, 7 and 10) in VMs mainly using VMware Fusion (but I do test also both VirtualBox and Parallels that are not so good).

Bellow, I'm currently running 5 different Linux Distros (CentOS 7, Debian 9, Mint 19, Q4OS 2.4 and Ubuntu 18.04.1) plus a Windows 10 session and also QB64 natively on OS/X.

http://www.as2.com/pictures/mon-labo-3.jpg

This is how I enjoy now the QB64 magic with InForm and vWATCH and a good beer.

Cheers.
Fifi
It's better to look like an idiot for a short time while asking something obvious to an expert than pretending to be smart all your life. (C) Me.

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2018, 07:40:30 pm »
So by the looks of the third photo, you're trying to make us guess if you're a glass half full or a glass half empty kind of guy.

Nice setup!

Pete :D
Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline krovit

• Forum Regular
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2018, 04:57:24 am »
Hi,

it's a funny thing (which makes me think)... we are all "equal"...

I see the same PC, the same disassembled PC, pieces of hardware scattered on the tables, many monitors, harddisks here and there, inlaid desks where there is no more space to rest a pin, confusion... dust!

And I imagine the wives, the mothers, the daughters... that obviously do not understand and maybe they think: "What problems does he have? But a laptop, a smartphone, an iPhone, a tablet... how they all are not enough?"

;)

Nothing is easy, especially when it appears simple (and nothing could be as dangerous as trying to do good to others)

Offline Fifi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2018, 09:28:04 am »
Hi Pete,

So by the looks of the third photo, you're trying to make us guess if you're a glass half full or a glass half empty kind of guy.

Nice setup!

Pete :D

Whether you choose the glass half empty or half full doesn't matter because I've already drunk one half and will finish the other half. ;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 06:31:56 pm by Fifi »
It's better to look like an idiot for a short time while asking something obvious to an expert than pretending to be smart all your life. (C) Me.

Offline OldMoses

• Seasoned Forum Regular
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2018, 06:36:48 pm »
That looks rather like the set up for my reloading bench. Most of the time it's full of gun and bullet stuff, but for a while it housed an old PC that had AutoCAD 14 on it. That rig kinda crapped out. Now I just run Draftsight 2D on my laptop and the bench went back to bullet stuff.

Offline random1

« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2018, 08:19:06 am »

Offline Bert22306

• Forum Regular
« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2018, 02:40:02 pm »
Hey Fifi, judging from the time on that wall clock, and that it seems to be dark outside, it looks like you too are a "night owl." Good to see.

Don't know where you live, but I imagine that during the day, outside that door, you have a balcony and a view of Mont Martre. Very inspiring!

Offline Fifi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2018, 11:19:04 am »
Hey Bert22306,

Hey Fifi, judging from the time on that wall clock, and that it seems to be dark outside, it looks like you too are a "night owl." Good to see.

Yes I do like working very late at night when both "my blond" and my cats are sleeping ;)

Don't know where you live, but I imagine that during the day, outside that door, you have a balcony and a view of Mont Martre. Very inspiring!

I do live in a magnific and quite part of the south of France called "La Drôme Provençale" (you can look on google maps 44.579662,5.105817 that points my house). So, I don't have a balcony with a view of Mont Martre (where as a matter of fact I was born), but I enjoy an exceptionnal view from my old farm surrounded by mountains where I do paragliding.

Cheers.
Fifi