Author Topic: qb4.5 libs  (Read 1547 times)

Offline badger

• Forum Regular
qb4.5 libs
« on: October 15, 2020, 06:04:41 pm »
Hello

first off and we link in obj files in qb64 when compiling if so then is there a way to break down a lib into its componets. I hope i got my thought accross  if not please ask me ok

Badger

Offline jack

• Seasoned Forum Regular
Re: qb4.5 libs
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 08:20:18 am »
you can extract the object in a library with ar x your_lib.a
not sure that having the individual object would be of any use unless you wanted to create a DLL from said objects, like
g++ -static -shared -o your_lib.dll *.o

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 10:03:19 am »
QB4.5 libs are 16bit binaries for MS-DOS. You won't use them with QB64.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 12:49:50 pm »
From QB4.5 I remember these were needed for Mouse and maybe Interrupts, QB64 has that covered mostly and you don't really want to go around PEEKing and POKEing unless you really are sure of what you are doing another difference between then and now with QB's. @SpriggsySpriggs  probably has got any needs from Windows or API already covered or is happy to find out for you :)

Really should give QB64 a chance before staying with old ways. Just describe the situation you need help with, you do fine asking and I think we do pretty good getting a QB64 solution for you.

So what do you have lib or object wise, what functions do you need replacement?

Best to work a project at a time rebuilding your tool kit IMHO.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 12:52:55 pm by bplus »

Offline Pete

• Forum Resident
  • Cuz I sez so, varmint!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 03:52:54 pm »
QB45 had various libraries you could compile into your program. For instance, if you wanted the smallest possible executable, you would only include the libraries needed in the program. For instance, if your program didn't have any error traps, you could leave the /E and /X switches out of your manual compilation routine. I almost always complied with the library switches o/s/e/x. I wonder why?

Pete

PS the /o switch substituted the BCOM45 library for the standard BRUN45 one. I made stand alone exes that way. Also, /s compiled the routine with quoted strings in the object, rather than including the symbol table. This saved memory for programs using extensive string variables.

Want to learn how to write code on cave walls? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/qbasic/qbasic-f1/

Offline SpriggsySpriggs

• Forum Resident
  • Larger than life
    • GitHub
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 11:35:04 pm »
From QB4.5 I remember these were needed for Mouse and maybe Interrupts, QB64 has that covered mostly and you don't really want to go around PEEKing and POKEing unless you really are sure of what you are doing another difference between then and now with QB's. @SpriggsySpriggs  probably has got any needs from Windows or API already covered or is happy to find out for you :)

How funny that you should mention PEEK and POKE considering I released code today for doing that in QB64! :D
And yes, I'm sure there exists a WinAPI set of functions out there to take care of most things you might want to do. I'm well-versed with using them in QB64 at this point.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 11:43:51 pm by SpriggsySpriggs »
Shuwatch!

Offline badger

• Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 02:57:24 pm »
Hello

Well it never hurts to ask. just a lot of stuff that was in that lib i have to recreate is all lots of time goes into that. LOL

Badger

Thanks for all your replies