Author Topic: Update windows 10  (Read 1830 times)

Offline angel.na

Update windows 10
« on: August 14, 2019, 12:10:17 pm »
When programming with open binary.
For example:
OPEN NOM1$ FOR BINARY AS #1
Access denied.
Sorry I don't speak English.
I use Deepl.
Thank you

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
Re: Update windows 10
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 02:06:25 pm »
Welcome angel.na,

Windows usually allows access to user under their folder like Desktop, Documents, Downloads, hey 3D!

Offline angel.na

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 03:21:40 pm »
Before the last update of Windows 10, the code did not give error.
NOM1$ = "C:\Textos\Texto.txt"
OPEN NOM1$ FOR OUTPUT AS #1
Now gives error : Permission denied.
The same program in Qbasic, using dosbox, does not give error.
I guess it will happen to others as well.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 03:25:51 pm »
For experiment, try opening a file on your desktop.

Code: QB64: [Select]
  1. 'nom1$ = "C:\texto.txt"   ' >>>>>>>>>>>>> denied !
  3. nom1$ = "C:\Users\marka\Desktop\Texto.txt" ' <<<<<<<<<<<<< my desktop, success!
  5. OPEN nom1$ FOR OUTPUT AS #1
  6. PRINT #1, "hello world"
  7. OPEN nom1$ FOR INPUT AS #1
  8. INPUT #1, fline$
  9. PRINT fline$
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 03:35:11 pm by bplus »

Offline angel.na

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 02:48:12 am »
I've solved the problem.  In the coding/decoding program I used a file in the directory c:\windows\... With the update of windows 10 was deleted. The program instead of giving error 53, file not found, gives access denied. And I didn't think the file was missing.
Thank you for your interest.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 09:42:43 am »
I've solved the problem.  In the coding/decoding program I used a file in the directory c:\windows\... With the update of windows 10 was deleted. The program instead of giving error 53, file not found, gives access denied. And I didn't think the file was missing.
Thank you for your interest.

I am glad you solved the problem but you said, "The same program in Qbasic, using dosbox, does not give error."

How could this be? I was lead to believe you had a general file access problem and Windows 10 does shut down access to root directory...

ah well, on to the next crisis... :)

BTW I have just been notified that Windows has a new update for me, oh boy!

Offline freetrav

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 11:05:12 am »
I am glad you solved the problem but you said, "The same program in Qbasic, using dosbox, does not give error."

How could this be? I was lead to believe you had a general file access problem and Windows 10 does shut down access to root directory...

DOSBox drives don't correspond directly to host OS drives; if the DOSBox C: is mapped to C:\USERS\JOE\DOCUMENTS\DOSDRIVE, then QBASIC OPEN "C:\WINDOWS\FOO.TXT" FOR INPUT AS #1 will actually be accessing C:\USERS\JOE\DOCUMENTS\DOSDRIVE\WINDOWS\FOO.TXT. So, in DOSBox, you won't actually be accessing the root of the Windows C: drive, and thus won't get intercepted and denied.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 12:49:18 pm »
Thanks freetrav,

I suspected something like that for DOSBox, but how could angel.na be accessing that Windows file from DOSBox, specially since the Windows update removed it?

Well I bet he didn't try DOSBox after the Windows update.

I can't wait to see what the new Windows update did for me less than 45 mins ago! So far OK...

Offline angel.na

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 01:26:36 pm »
I use DosBox to make an android compatible version. (In android it works with Magic DosBox.)
The question of the directories is the following:
The version for android was, in the pc:
Mount  C C:\Basic
Having C:\Basic\Windows\Debug\File
For the program:
Nom1$ "C:\Windows\Debug\File"
In android in the explorer it is necessary to create the Windows and Debug folders.
The version for QB64 was:
Nom1$ "C:\Windows\Debug\File"
It gives me an error so I moved the file to a directory outside the windows directory.
On the other hand
Can I compile QB64 for android?

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 12:04:36 am »
My PC just finished the update to v1903 this morning, and so far, I’m happy with the results.  The lag in explorer has cleared up, things are more responsive, and CPU usage has dropped considerably with many of the processes.  My fans no longer sound like airplane engines every half hour or so, as windows does whatever crap it does behind the scenes.

It’s too early to say 1903 didn’t introduce new, shittier bugs, but so far, it really appears to have cleaned up issues on my system, without breaking anything else.  For a rare change, it seems like MS did good with this patch.  The next one, in six months, will probably destroy everything...
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline doppler

• Forum Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 09:26:42 am »
It might not be generally know yet.  Microsoft is switching the Win 10 O/S update model.  Instead of the twice a year major O/S update.  They are switching to Major/Minor model.  Every spring will be the major update.  It will include the most changes and updates.  IE: New features, rolled in updates.  The following fall update becomes the minor update.  IE: priority rolled in updates and tweaks with small feature updates.  No giant changes.  The minor update you could consider it to be a major bug fix release and others small things.

Microsoft actually listened to feedback about twice year major updates and adjusted the release model to reflect it.

Hopefully this will cut down on SNAFU's like the original win 10 v1903 not working for everybody.  That SNAFU was a MAJOR SNAFU.