Author Topic: Library not found  (Read 19368 times)

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
Re: Library not found
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 12:03:25 am »
... by the way... I then followed the video tutorial for 'Tic Tac Toe' and it ran without issue... Cool. Video presenter was very clear and explained everything. Clever guy that one...

Just curious... I'm going to assume that Tic Tac Toe ran without issue because it was compiled on my machine. Does this mean, if I want to run other 'users' programs, I could have some minor issues? If that is the case, then would it not be prudent, for users to include OS detection and modify their code accordingly? Just a thought.
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 12:10:01 am »
Video presenter was very clear and explained everything. Clever guy that one...

Thanks! *blushes*

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2018, 12:45:20 am »
Just curious... I'm going to assume that Tic Tac Toe ran without issue because it was compiled on my machine. Does this mean, if I want to run other 'users' programs, I could have some minor issues? If that is the case, then would it not be prudent, for users to include OS detection and modify their code accordingly? Just a thought.

That's going to be a hard sell because most people don't have both platforms (Linux and Windows) to test their code on and most are not going to be knowledgeable enough to set up a Linux machine with QB64.

My personal thinking is if I ever create software with QB64 that is good enough to distribute to a large audience, and that audience is big enough to include Linux users, then I'll take the time to program in cross-platform features then.

Don't get me wrong, I love Linux. I have a Mint box sitting next to me on my desk that I use all the time. I wish more people would take the time to learn and use Linux.
In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2018, 02:19:09 am »
I have been using Linux now for 13 years and have been amazed by the advances that it has made. But, as you say, the audience is large and, in comparison, non-windows users would make up a row or two at the back of the theatre...  It's understandable that the emphasis of programs would cater to the greater numbers. But when an application is said to be able to run on Windows, Mac and Linux, one would expect that the programs that it creates would be coded to run on Windows, Mac and Linux. Just a thought.

I think Linux is great. I've been a Mint user for the past 5 years...  Now it's time to fire up the coffee machine...

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2018, 03:13:03 am »
What would be ideal is the way GLBasic does it. You write the code and then at compile time choose your platform to compile for.
In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2018, 05:54:18 am »
Just jumped onto the glbasic forum and the developer(s) have suggested that the current version (v15) may be the last. The future of glbasic (mac and linux) will eventually be 'ditched' and concentrate on Windows, HTML5 and Steam...