Author Topic: InForm Tutorial?  (Read 17082 times)

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
InForm Tutorial?
« on: August 23, 2018, 05:46:33 pm »
Has anyone created an InForm tutorial? The wiki is a great resource however it lacks examples of how to implement the array of features offered.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 11:56:13 am by odin »
In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
Re: InForm Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 07:05:08 pm »
I remember suggesting putting InForm discussion in separate board so don't have to search whole site for information, discussion, practice and applications.

For me, there was allot of information here: https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php?topic=238.0

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 10:28:21 pm »
Hello, guys.

There's no single tutorial, but a few resources that are, indeed, scattered around. @bplus: I'm definitely considering adding a new board for the discussion to be grouped.

Anyway, here's what's there for now:

Some videos:
- Brief overview:

- InForm workflow (although it uses the old interface it's still valid concerning the overall usage):

- Creating a simple tic tac toe game with InForm (again, older interface, but same methods overall):

- Extended tic tac toe game:

- Demo of "Snap to edges" feature:

- Demo of ToggleSwitch controls:

- Everything introduced in Beta 6:

- Everything introduced in Beta 7:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sample programs using InForm: http://www.qb64.org/inform/demos/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The project's wiki: https://github.com/FellippeHeitor/InForm/wiki

And, of course, I'm always around should any questions arise.

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 11:22:58 pm »
I visited most of the links you presented. I'm sure with my many years of using QB64 that I could view the wiki, demos, and InForm source code to get an idea of how to us it. However, with those wanting to use your library a tutorial is really necessary for two reasons. First, seasoned programmers want to implement the library quickly and make use of its features right away. Second, novice, intermediate and even seasoned programmers are not going to take the time to search demos and source code to learn the library, which is a shame because from the little I've used so far I find it a work of art. For years I tinkered with making a library that offered the features InForm offers and never achieved that goal.

Please consider writing a manual/tutorial for InForm. Yes, manuals and tutorials take a lot of work to build, but they are so worth it. I've attached an example of the sort of manual/tutorial I create for my libraries as an idea of what I mean.
* Ritchie's QB64 Button Library.pdf (Filesize: 231.18 KB, Downloads: 428)
* Ritchie's QB64 Sprite Library.pdf (Filesize: 303.92 KB, Downloads: 636)

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 11:29:53 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, Terry.

I admire your commitment to writing documentation for your libraries, those PDFs are truly useful (I've used your libraries a lot before and the manuals were always very helpful).

Thank you very much for the suggestions, they are all noted and will be considered.

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 11:46:22 pm »
I've been using InForm for the past few days to learn it by recreating the standard Windows 7 calculator program. I was amazed at how quickly I built the interface. The InForm Editor is very polished. I know, the last thing we need is a calculator program but it uses many of the features offered by InForm so I thought that would be good way to get my feet wet.

I meant it when I said InForm is a work of art.

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 11:52:39 pm »
Eager to see your calculator in action!

Offline Qwerkey

• Forum Resident
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 03:42:40 am »
Oh, a whole new InForm Section!  Where do you find the time, Fellippe?

Please consider writing a manual/tutorial for InForm. Yes, manuals and tutorials take a lot of work to build, but they are so worth it. I've attached an example of the sort of manual/tutorial I create for my libraries as an idea of what I mean.

I cannot imagine where Fellippe would find the time  (he's already doing a step-by-step Tutorial for me in this new section),  but if he magically does manage it, I'm sure that we'd make full use of it.  The existing Wiki pages are just fine for the present.

Richard

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
Re: InForm Tutorial?
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 08:31:20 pm »
Hi Terry
Thanks for manuals for your libraries
Now I can understand better your works!

Programming isn't difficult, only it's  consuming time and coffee

Offline Dav

• Forum Resident
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 08:38:57 pm »
Fillippe: Thanks for those InForm links! 

TerryRitchie: Do you still have a download for your button library?  I have some button games I made for ipad (uses only buttons) that I'd love to port to over QB64.

- Dav

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 11:02:57 pm »
Dav, download the minesweeper game I hove posted here. Contained in the ZIP are the library files and manual. The files you need should all start with RQBL.

Offline Dav

• Forum Resident
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 09:18:30 am »
Thanks, Terry!  Your button library looks so easy to use, and its usage is so much like the language I'll be porting my button games from, so it should go great.  Also, your PDF manuals are clear and easy to understand.

Thanks, again.

- Dav

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 01:05:57 pm »
No sweat :)