Author Topic: Re: From strange to weird  (Read 2270 times)

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
Re: From strange to weird
« on: July 25, 2018, 10:27:29 pm »
Sounds like an issue others have reported in the past with their antivirus deleting or quarantining the newly compiled executable seconds after its compiled.

Quick test:  Completely disable anti-virus and try again.  See what happens.

If things work as expected, then you'll need to whitelist QB64 and its folder so your AV doesn't keep interfering with the newly compiled (and unidentified) executables.
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 10:28:50 pm »
(If memory serves me right, I think it may be Avast which last had this type error with it.)
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 12:43:14 am »
This may sound like a silly question: When did you install Mint 19 and was QB64 running ok before you did? Ok. Two questions... I use Mint 18.1 and QB64 runs just fine.

Quick question to the developer(s) of QB64: For 64 bit Linux, what dependencies does QB64 need to run? Just curious. Perhaps a required dependency was not included in Mint 19?

J
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 04:31:28 pm »
Interesting. Both systems running Mint 19. Different manufacturer's as well? One works and the other doesn't. Hmm.. You are incorrect. It's not Outer Limits or Twilight Zone. It seems like... The Exorcist... lol  Nah. Seriously, I am still of the opinion that a library may be missing... but I have be known to be wrong... at least that is what my therapist tells me...

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 01:13:51 pm »
Glad to hear it's with the dev build you're having issues as it's expected it'll eventually fail and that's what will lead it to become the next stable version, once it all gets ironed out.

A new dev build was pushed today, though nothing specific to your issue was addressed. If you can, give it a try. The error may have gone as it came: out of the blue.

Please grab it from www.qb64.org and let us know how it behaves.

If all goes wrong, please stick with the stable release for now, as it won't give you as many headaches.

If you can pinpoint what's going weird in your system, please let us know as well.

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 10:15:48 am »
I am still waiting to hear back about QB64's dependencies, but looking at the installation output, everything looks normal and error free... What really puzzles me is, if QB64 is a 64 bit application, why does Linux need to install the old 32 bit libraries? Strange. My output was basically the same. But as to why it does not run, I have no idea... Which version of QB64 are you installing? If you can provide the link, I will test it on my machine, to see if I get a similar problem...

J

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 12:06:46 pm »
Ok. Thanks for that. It's 2am and I need some some shut eye. I will test them later this morning and get back to you...

J

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 12:07:04 pm »
Although the .net website seems to be available, the .net wiki and forum are (? Dead ?)

Old news. Wiki and forum at .net have been down for ~3 months now due to the regular disk quota issue at Galleon's server. After weeks of emailing him he replied with https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php?topic=70.msg2180#msg2180

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 12:16:15 pm »
I am still waiting to hear back about QB64's dependencies

From setup_lnx.sh, per distribution:

if [ "$DISTRO" == "arch" ]; then
    pkg_list="gcc $GET_WGET"

elif [ "$DISTRO" == "linuxmint" ] || [ "$DISTRO" == "ubuntu" ] || [ "$DISTRO" == "debian" ] || [ "$DISTRO" == "zorin" ]; then
    pkg_list="g++ mesa-common-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libasound2-dev $GET_WGET"

elif [ "$DISTRO" == "fedora" ] || [ "$DISTRO" == "redhat" ] || [ "$DISTRO" == "centos" ]; then
    pkg_list="gcc-c++ mesa-libGLU-devel alsa-lib-devel $GET_WGET"

In summary:
  OpenGL development libraries
  ALSA development libraries
  GNU C++ Compiler (g++)

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 02:22:47 am »
FellipeHeitor:  Thank you for the info. Much appreciated.

[banned user]: That file you suggested is the one that I have installed. Use the 'locate' command to see if you have the necessary libraries installed.

Using a Terminal, enter the following...

locate g++
locate mesa-common-dev
locate libglu1-mesa-dev
locate libasound2-dev

whichever command does not produce results will probably be the culprit...

Let me know how you went?

J

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 04:23:34 am »
[banned user] left.

Offline johnno56

• Forum Resident
  • Live long and prosper.
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2018, 09:12:04 am »
hmm... that's too bad... I suppose i will never know if I was right... Oh well...

J