Author Topic: Send a text message from QB64 program  (Read 1824 times)

Offline lawsonm1

Send a text message from QB64 program
« on: March 16, 2020, 12:49:40 pm »
While contemplating the meaning of life earlier today, I thought about how I could have a QB64 program send me a text message periodically. So with some very rough mental calculations I came up with the following:
1. Have the program create, and save, a text file containing the text I want to send.
2. Shell out to run a batch file that utilizes 'Blat' to send the text file to my cellphone via SMS.

Any thoughts or ideas as to a better way, or if this is even feasible? Thanks, Mike

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Send a text message from QB64 program
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 01:47:20 pm »
Sounds like a solid plan. Go for it and share the code. :-)
In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Offline lawsonm1

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 02:26:10 pm »
I sure will. Send me your cell phone number and I'll send you one if it works.... :) Mike

Offline lawsonm1

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 09:07:59 pm »
Okay, I tried good 'ole Blat - but that doesn't support SSL/TLS. So I went digging and found this:
https://www.raymond.cc/blog/sending-email-using-command-line-useful-for-downtime-alert-notification/
The first one (SwithMail) listed looked promising, so I tried it out. Nice GUI interface, and it generates the command line for the batch file, and it will do a test transmission.

It worked!

So now I just have to have my QB64 program create the text file, and then SHELL out to run the command line batch file, and the world will be a better place!

Mike