Author Topic: Samples Gallery  (Read 22972 times)

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
Re: Samples Gallery
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2020, 09:29:05 pm »
The original 'The QBasic Forum' had a 'Programs you're proud of' section where individual users could start a thread, titled with their name, and reply with their own programs for a more refined list. I would love something like that as a subforum of the programs section open selectively to deserving users where each thread is their own, replies are individual programs, and no comments by other users are allowed. Some kind of style and consistency could be lightly enforced. I feel like the 'samples' section should be kept short and highly selective for stuff that's polished and refined and paints QB64 in a good light with programs that are readily consumable, not even necessarily the most impressive or largest projects, though it could certainly use a reshuffling in its current state.

Nice idea!

Offline Qwerkey

• Forum Resident
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2020, 04:26:32 am »
the 'samples' section should be kept short and highly selective for stuff that's polished and refined and paints QB64 in a good light with programs that are readily consumable

That's what I shall aim for.  A small selection of programs like _vince's Tetris!

Offline _vince

• Seasoned Forum Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2020, 03:44:04 pm »
That's what I shall aim for.  A small selection of programs like _vince's Tetris!
It was my intent to write the 'de facto official qb64 tetris' with it, whether I achieved it, I don't know, but I do play that very program (well, mainly pentris now) almost daily and compulsively, especially when watching yt videos
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 03:46:56 pm by _vince »

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2020, 01:05:23 pm »
Congrats to Qwerkey and Ashish!

Oh, and belated one to _vince :)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 01:06:31 pm by bplus »

Offline Ashish

• Forum Resident
  • Never Give Up!
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2020, 01:13:07 pm »
R1 For @Qwerkey
Code: QB64: [Select]
  1. ? "Thank You ";
if (Me.success) {Me.improve()} else {Me.tryAgain()}

My Projects - https://github.com/AshishKingdom?tab=repositories
OpenGL tutorials - https://ashishkingdom.github.io/OpenGL-Tutorials

Offline STxAxTIC

• Library Staff
  • Forum Resident
  • he lives
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2020, 01:46:24 pm »
Thanks for the recent efforts guys - honestly I haven't even looked at the results yet - I'm sure they're great. Feel free to reorganize what's already there, including delete stuff. (I don't care whether any of my code is up there or not, it was really just filler and doesn't show off qb64 at all.)
You're not done when it works, you're done when it's right.

Offline Qwerkey

• Forum Resident
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2020, 04:36:06 am »
Guys, as you have seen I've added one of Ashish's programs to the Samples Gallery.  And now I will begin a programme of adding further submissions to advertise QB64's fantastic capabilities.

Ashish, for your sample I used the code from Reply #34 of your post (as you directed), but when I run that code, I do not get any sky imaging, just terrain.  Did I do something wrong?  Would you check this, thanks?

bplus, we're still looking for someone to do the Toolbox, and you'd be ideal.  Would you be able and interested to do that?  If you're looking for a job to be done, ask a busy person!

Offline Qwerkey

• Forum Resident
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2020, 05:36:38 am »
Ashish, for the present I am not going to add your "Moving into the Matrix Rain" project into Samples.  It should be there on at least two counts: i) another outstanding Ashish program, ii) most viewed program.  But firstly, I want to get work from as many other people as possible.

Offline Qwerkey

• Forum Resident
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2020, 06:34:26 am »
I have added Steve's QB64 Spell Checker to the Samples.  This for a number of qualifying reasons: i) must have something by Steve (though I'm sure that others will have to follow), ii) it is near highest in views, iii) STxAxTIC wanted it there (or in Toolbox actually, but I decided that it's a sample program rather than a general coding tool).

Offline Qwerkey

• Forum Resident
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2020, 06:52:35 am »
You will not be surprised to learn that a certain skill is required in choosing samples from the most-viewed programs, and selection has to be done with care.  Steve's QB64 Spell Checker (with 4250 views) has been added, but we find the program "My First InForm Program - Trackword" by Qwerkey (who let him onto the site???) has 4253 views.  But we're not putting that program into Samples as it is very narrow in its appeal.  It is an InForm program, which is a definite plus, and I shall want to advertise InForm in Samples, but not with that program, I think.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 09:18:08 am by Qwerkey »

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2020, 12:57:48 pm »
bplus, we're still looking for someone to do the Toolbox, and you'd be ideal.  Would you be able and interested to do that?  If you're looking for a job to be done, ask a busy person!

Thanks for thinking of me Qwerkey but I don't think I am as technically proficient as Steve, RhoSigma, Fellippe or Terry to name a few. I am learning from these guys and not in position to judge. I remember being worn out chasing down bugs in Steve's date-time thing and I think STxAxTIC felt close to same when we were working out ellipsis tools. This is why advocate nomination, a 2nd and a vote then you have perspective of more minds than one. With tools, I think the hammering out process is particularly important (sort of what I mean by voting). Hey! if guys can support this idea I will try and host it.

BTW Steve's spell checker does strike more as a tool than as sample and doing a Games board is great idea too!

And for Inform, I can support Qwerkey's crossword thing as I said it got response from folks who don't normally participate much but hey! what comes first in Fellippe's mind?, he is the expert for that. :)

Offline STxAxTIC

• Library Staff
  • Forum Resident
  • he lives
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2020, 01:28:49 pm »
I still think a few more hands on deck wouldn't necessarily hurt. I'm thinking specifically of mr bplus. Whatdya' say? What some Librarian power? That way you can at least curate your own entries. We 100% trust you, this has been discussed.

Offline lawsonm1

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2020, 01:52:37 pm »
So I guess along a similar vein; I ordered three sets of old books, Microsoft Basic 7.0 Programers Guide / Language Reference, Waite Group's Microsoft QuickBASIC Bible, and Basic Programs for Scientists and Engineers. I received the PDS manuals last week and the other two will be here in a few days. The PDS manuals(binders) are in incredibly excellent shape. There are a lot of programs listed in the books. If there is any interest I will probably enter them in my machine and run them. I can post them if anyone is interested. Mike

Offline STxAxTIC

• Library Staff
  • Forum Resident
  • he lives
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2020, 01:53:58 pm »
Yes, the more the merrier. We're here not only for the present and future, but to not let down the past.

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2020, 02:10:59 pm »
I still think a few more hands on deck wouldn't necessarily hurt. I'm thinking specifically of mr bplus. Whatdya' say? What some Librarian power? That way you can at least curate your own entries. We 100% trust you, this has been discussed.

OK let me know how I can help.