Author Topic: Samples Gallery  (Read 23238 times)

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
Re: Samples Gallery
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2020, 10:09:12 am »
@bplus I've just had a look through my QB64 Projects catalogue, and there are some that I might like for consideration (eg Scrabble, I thought was reasonable, and I know that Steve, Mr Wordsmith, played it).  There is no hurry to put my stuff in, anyway.  At present I am sure that Steve is way under-represented so we must root out all his worthy stuff.

I’ve just been wrapped up with life in general here lately, and haven’t been around much, so don’t feel any rush to put anything of mine up urgently — I don’t know when I’d have time to address any questions/concerns you guys might have with them.  Hopefully things will settle down by next month, and the wife will be back home from her extended hospital/rehab stay, and I’ll have time to help sort out a few things of mine to help you put them into Samples.

Some projects which I can think of off the top of my head would probably be:

SBott — the demo IRC chat bot, which tons of people have used as a base to play around with creating bots in the #QB64 channel.

The Screen 0 Newsfeed Clock, as it highlights how to download RSS feeds, parse them, and use them in a program.

My little picture tile game from waaay back when (and I don’t even remember the name of it, now), as it highlights the old GET/PUT method of storing images in arrays and moving them, rather than _PUTIMAGE or _MEM.  It might be useful for folks studying QB45 style commands.  (Was the game called SHUFFLE?  Something similar?)

Ummm...  And those are the only things which pop up off the top of my head, without me digging and looking around more myself.  Heck, I’m not even 100% certain what’s been added/archived already fully, as I’ve just been browsing things and skimming over topics/posts here a lot lately.  /blush

Hopefully, life will settle back down here soon, and then I can start devoting some extra time to the forums (and coding in general) once again.  ;D

https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2020, 10:26:36 am »
Re: Steve, man that keyboard customize thing has me stumped maybe overthinking just throw the SUB in Samples and point to thread for the "manual" and further inquiries.

If you want my thoughts on it, I’d suggest you guys make a LIBRARY subsection in samples, and use it to highlight those extended toolsets that people create which might need extended information, and give the authors highlighted there edit/mod rights so they can update/correct things as needed.

Some quick library collections which could be added to that section might be:
Terry Ritchie’s Menu, GLInput, Button, Sprite libraries.
RhoSigma’s various libraries from his signature.
DarthWho’s various graphic/game engine libraries.
I’ve got several (I just need to share and document them better when I have time), such as Text libraries, Image libraries, the keyboard library....

Libraries are like Tools, except they’re the much more complex version of them.   SaveBMP would qualify as a simple tool to save a screen image as a BMP file.  The SaveImage Library does that *PLUS* PNG, GIF, JPG, screen 0 conversions, 32-bit to 256 color conversions/dithering, and more!

It’s a lot more work to upkeep, improve, and maintain a library than it is just a singular tool, so it’d be nice if the library creators could have rights to edit their own stuff, but it’d also be nice just to have a place to highlight these extended toolsets so they don’t get lost in the ether somewhere...
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline Ashish

• Forum Resident
  • Never Give Up!
« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2020, 10:47:35 am »
@Qwerkey @bplus
If you interested for adding SUB_GL programs then please have a look at - https://github.com/AshishKingdom/QB64_OpenGL_Demos
It contain a total of 35 demos. Some are coded by @Petr and some are by me.
if (Me.success) {Me.improve()} else {Me.tryAgain()}

My Projects - https://github.com/AshishKingdom?tab=repositories
OpenGL tutorials - https://ashishkingdom.github.io/OpenGL-Tutorials

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2020, 11:33:01 am »
@Qwerkey @bplus
If you interested for adding SUB_GL programs then please have a look at - https://github.com/AshishKingdom/QB64_OpenGL_Demos
It contain a total of 35 demos. Some are coded by @Petr and some are by me.

Thanks Ashish, looks like a vein of gold here, including Petr's. Do you happen to have links back to QB64 forum posts in those? What ones are your favorites for fun, cool effect or instruction?

Offline Qwerkey

• Forum Resident
« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2020, 01:41:02 pm »
@bplus I know that you have already played Scra88le (mustn't use the copyrighted trade name!), so you don't need to spend more of your time on it (where do you find all the time from?).  It is in Programs here. https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php?topic=344.msg2323#new

Offline TerryRitchie

• Seasoned Forum Regular
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2020, 02:09:44 pm »
If you want my thoughts on it, I’d suggest you guys make a LIBRARY subsection in samples, and use it to highlight those extended toolsets that people create which might need extended information, and give the authors highlighted there edit/mod rights so they can update/correct things as needed.

Some quick library collections which could be added to that section might be:
Terry Ritchie’s Menu, GLInput, Button, Sprite libraries.
RhoSigma’s various libraries from his signature.
DarthWho’s various graphic/game engine libraries.
I’ve got several (I just need to share and document them better when I have time), such as Text libraries, Image libraries, the keyboard library....

Libraries are like Tools, except they’re the much more complex version of them.   SaveBMP would qualify as a simple tool to save a screen image as a BMP file.  The SaveImage Library does that *PLUS* PNG, GIF, JPG, screen 0 conversions, 32-bit to 256 color conversions/dithering, and more!

It’s a lot more work to upkeep, improve, and maintain a library than it is just a singular tool, so it’d be nice if the library creators could have rights to edit their own stuff, but it’d also be nice just to have a place to highlight these extended toolsets so they don’t get lost in the ether somewhere...

Excellent idea Steve. I would like to see this too if possible.
In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Offline STxAxTIC

• Library Staff
  • Forum Resident
  • he lives
« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2020, 02:18:15 pm »
All in due time, boys, but here's the thing. Code libraries are the wild west. These must go through the same vetting and scrutiny as everything else the ends up in a Library - because if we don't do that, our curated sections just become wild again and we'd be just asking a new layer of separation down the road to differentiate the good from the crappy.

If you agree with that, you can see there's absolutely no way we're going to hybridize the current admissions process. It's been asked and discussed countless times whether we should have a version of the forums where the original author can moderate or lock out responses in a thread they created. It was decided NO, we will have a strict Library section, and also a wild Programs section. We won't be making an army of Walts out of everyone here. Can't you already see the parallel discussions? Someone here is gonna say "Over in Programs they're talking smack about my code. But here on my thread, where I rule, every so-called 'bug' is a feature!" Literally over my dead body will we have this dynamic here.

If code tends to be updated a lot, and it would be convenient for the author to not have confused versions out there, well... that's kindof on you. Either keep it in Programs - in which case the Librarians will *naturally* assimilate the updates because the post will be current - or even better - make the homepage for your project correspond to the URL at the top of its library entry. You will start to see more and more projects link to github as its URL for this reason. If the Librarian falls behind, bump the topic in Programs. Everyone see what I'm going for here? One channel, one method. When the code starts to fade into last week in the Programs board, the Librarians swoop in. The Library does not feature anyone's dirty builds.

Before I end this endless rant I point this out too: just because something is *sometimes* useful, does not mean it needs to be included in the presented product. We can have as many variations on pac man or minesweeper as we want, I don't care. BUT when it comes to reference code and teaching tools, I think we should be more conservative.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 02:55:43 pm by STxAxTIC »
You're not done when it works, you're done when it's right.

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2020, 04:04:03 pm »
HI
what do you think about this interpreter?

It is projected by Larry, the fix is mine.
He may post the final working version.
Programming isn't difficult, only it's  consuming time and coffee

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
« Reply #128 on: March 08, 2020, 04:12:53 pm »
Moreover I like these
by Terrie Ritchie

Offline TempodiBasic

• Forum Resident
« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2020, 05:04:57 pm »
In my repository I find so many good programs, maybe some of these are on the [abandoned, outdated and now likely malicious qb64 dot net website - don’t go there] so I post some here and you can evaluate them. Maybe you find someone good enough to enter in sample gallery.

Offline Ashish

• Forum Resident
  • Never Give Up!
« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2020, 01:30:09 am »
Thanks Ashish, looks like a vein of gold here, including Petr's. Do you happen to have links back to QB64 forum posts in those? What ones are your favorites for fun, cool effect or instruction?

@bplus
These are some cool demos of SUB_GL. BOLD ones are my favourites.

if (Me.success) {Me.improve()} else {Me.tryAgain()}

My Projects - https://github.com/AshishKingdom?tab=repositories
OpenGL tutorials - https://ashishkingdom.github.io/OpenGL-Tutorials

Offline bplus

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Resident
  • b = b + ...
« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2020, 01:41:48 am »
Got it saved for reference in my files, Thanks Ashish

@TempodiBasic the 2 of those that were mine have updates, Battleship v5-AI is in Games, if you liked that old version you should love the one in Games. Sudoku, I also have much newer version, I keep thinking there is something more to finish but I don't get around to it. Larry's interpreter? was that posted here? if not do you have .zip or .7z? if not too much trouble.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 01:49:31 am by bplus »

Offline Qwerkey

• Forum Resident
« Reply #132 on: March 10, 2020, 11:26:29 am »
@bplus We have now modest but reasonable numbers in Samples to start with - Math & Geometry and SUB _GL are still low.  Your working through Ashish's supplied list will add to SUB _GL, I'm sure.  You are doing a tremendous amount of work here and you have the skills to properly assess projects' code relevance for submission.  If it would be any help to you, I could do the administrative job of moving projects to Samples/Games (that's just about at my skill level), but please carry on doing that as well if you like to.  The Library Staff grading should be as follows:
Chief Librarian (a dynamic but static position)
Techinal Support (Qualification required: B+ or above)
Skivvy (I can do that: British meaning required here!)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 11:40:10 am by Qwerkey »

Offline Qwerkey

• Forum Resident
« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2020, 11:34:30 am »
@bplus Re pi-in-the-sky.  I agree with your assessment that the code is spaghetti-ish and without good structure.  On the other hand it is a good demonstration/comparison of the modern QB64 graphical methods (which is why I wrote it).  Can we agree to shelve it until I've tidied up the code and inserted useful explanatory comments, so that it might be a half-decent bit of code?

Offline Qwerkey

• Forum Resident
« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2020, 11:49:03 am »
@bplus Another way I could help somewhat is if you take the first 10 of Ashish's, and I'll do the last 6.  At least I could do something (I've adjusted the ratio in line with work rate).