Author Topic: InForm Shanghai  (Read 3200 times)

Offline krovit

• Forum Regular
InForm Shanghai
« on: March 15, 2020, 12:56:50 pm »
Hello to everybody,
these days stay at home, please. QB64 helps!

I think everyone knows that game called Shanghai... that skill game with chopsticks scattered on the table that must be moved without others falling.

I followed Ashish's advice - which I still thank for the genius of his GuiMenu Tools - and looked at Fellippe Heitor's code.
Very nice to look at, and I love how he writes it! In my own small way, my style approaches his... But in substance, even a step towards a city 1000 miles away is still closer...
They say BASIC is easier to understand than C... hum!

I tried to extract the code that concerns the menu... but try to guess. What? Obviously it takes hours and every time a lost or shifted comma is enough and everything freezes. Kind of like the game I said.

So I have a request to Fellippe... can you, please, publish the code that contains only the menu management...?

If I ask too much, patience... but it would be a nice service for everyone. Or not?

Thank you.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 02:27:27 pm by krovit »
Nothing is easy, especially when it appears simple (and nothing could be as dangerous as trying to do good to others)

FellippeHeitor

Re: InForm Shanghai
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 04:41:57 pm »
Hello, krovit

Thanks for your interest in InForm.

The short answer to your request is "no". Here's the longest answer:

Everything in InForm is treated the same way internally, so everything is a "control". Be it a button, a listbox, a text field, a PictureBox or even a menu item, everything is stored in memory and treated the same. Because of that approach, I cannot separate the "menu" engine, as there actually isn't one. What there is is a generalized GUI engine and it's all integrated.

If the only GUI element you want for your program is a menu bar, my recommendation is to use Ashish's library (https://github.com/AshishKingdom/GUI-Menu-Bar), or even Terry's library (https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php?topic=2233.msg115058#msg115058), which is also really well built and tested. That way you will be adding code just for that type of interface, and not a full library into your program.

If you have any more inquiries about InForm, I'll be glad to assist you with them.

Fellippe.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 04:46:35 pm by FellippeHeitor »

Offline krovit

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 06:00:34 pm »
Ah, that's why they failed to unmount your code and get something that worked...!

However a great job and a great result.

Conceptually, then, I like the idea of ​​a software that produces another software. And it reminds me of Skynet....

Thank You
Nothing is easy, especially when it appears simple (and nothing could be as dangerous as trying to do good to others)

FellippeHeitor

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 06:10:36 pm »
We'll be back :-)