Author Topic: Tile Editor that exports out DATA statements for games that use READ/DATA  (Read 2864 times)

Offline Abacus

• I like programming in QB64, C, & Python
Hey just what I suggested in Reply #3 of this thread :)

Great minds think alike.

To elaborate more of that reply, you can save the strings for many arrays into single file and more importantly load and save from an array of strings.

The next thing you might want to think about is names for tiles and names for strings, it's easier to do things by name than by number. So maybe another array to translate tile name to tile number or vice versa, and another array to translate sprite array name to number and back.

Then if you want different sized sprites, maybe even some not square you can save width and height with names.
Some more things to think ahead about :)

@bplus  Thank you so much for your kind words and sharing your thoughts with me; I am grateful and agree!

Still, don't worry...my first full version program will use better naming for my variables, arrays, strings, and such. I will add comments and error checking code. All the code I shared were just test samples and to add with not being shy, I would like to share in my old school way on things.

Well, I start with pen and paper before I even write any code or touch a computer.

Here is an image example of my Map Edit mode concept for this program in thought on paper without any code...although code was in mind when I wrote this chart down.

I think it's important to record your thoughts on paper when there is free time and there is no computer around. I do that on a lot of test code ideas and I even did that on the last test code with the MID$() function posted in this thread.

Again, thank you so much for your thoughts and suggestions! I will keep your suggestions and all of the suggestions from others in mind during this thread until my project and goal is complete.

(Peace and Respect)

Mike aka Abacus
MapEditModeConcept.jpg
* MapEditModeConcept.jpg (Filesize: 2.79 MB, Dimensions: 3120x4160, Views: 228)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 01:03:39 am by Abacus »
If obj1x% > obj2x% And obj1y% > obj2y% Then
    If obj1x% < obj2x% + tilewidth% And obj1y% < obj2y% + tilelength% Then Print: Print "collisoin"
End If

Offline Cobalt

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
  • At 60 I become highly radioactive!
So is this a "Tile Editor" or a 'Tile Based Map Editor"?   would you be able to design the tiles for the map as well or just the map based off a tiled scheme?

If its a Tiled Map Editor, you might consider more options for each tile like;
Walkable\Non-Walkable
Cause damage
Instant kill
Trigger Flags
Trigger conversations
Trigger Quest\Complete Quest
Trigger encounter
ect

You know stuff like that so when a player moves to that tile the map data can trigger something to happen.
Reminiscent of the old Bards Tale Construction Set.
Granted after becoming radioactive I only have a half-life!

Offline Abacus

• I like programming in QB64, C, & Python
@Cobalt I would like to have two edit modes. One to make maps that will export a .bi file of DATA statements and the other mode to make tiles/sprites and that will export as a .bsv file. If a tile or sprite needs a mask file that too will export a mask .bsv  file. I like your suggestions, thanks for sharing them!
If obj1x% > obj2x% And obj1y% > obj2y% Then
    If obj1x% < obj2x% + tilewidth% And obj1y% < obj2y% + tilelength% Then Print: Print "collisoin"
End If