Author Topic: QB64 code for "Spinny Cube"  (Read 2205 times)

Offline SMcNeill

• QB64 Developer
  • Forum Resident
    • Steve’s QB64 Archive Forum
Re: QB64 code for "Spinny Cube"
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2022, 08:41:24 pm »
If I had to go back to origins of things, then I'd consider "master" to be the male opposite of "mistress", in many cases.

Picture a rich man's slave back in the 1700's.  They're given an order.  How do they respond?

To the lord of the estate: "Yes, master."  Or maybe, "Yes, Milord," if one wanted to sound grandiose and earn browny points flattering the follow.

For the guy's wife?  "Yes, mistress."  Or, "Yes, Milady."

Even in modern BDSM circles, I'd think the opposite of a "mistress" would be a "master".

So, like most words we use, I imagine any counterpart to it would have to be defined by the *exact* definition one was applying to the original word in question.

Mistress as a man's lover?  The male opposite to that is an inamorato or paramour.

Mistress as a dominant controller?  The male opposite to that is a master.

If you're in an area with British English prevalent, then a mistress is a female teacher. Or tutor. I suppose the opposite for them might be "professor", but I wouldn't swear to it.  There might be a closer male approximation to the usage than that, that I'm just overlooking.

:P

(As you can probably tell by now, I'm a language/word nut.  LOL!)
https://github.com/SteveMcNeill/Steve64 — A github collection of all things Steve!

Offline CharlieJV

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2022, 09:31:27 pm »
(As you can probably tell by now, I'm a language/word nut.  LOL!)

Ditto (well, maybe amateur nut over here), and I'm loving every second of it.  Especially when the intertwingling of "verbal irony" starts kicking into high gear in the back of this sponge.

Much appreciated !

Offline Qwerkey

• Forum Resident
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2022, 05:05:07 am »
Yep, this post is definitely a Discussion item, so perhaps I was too precipitate in suggesting that it should be in Programs!

I'm just off to conjugate some Latin verbs with my Mistress.  I'll Master that damned subject yet - it's all a Mister-y to me (terrible pun, but you asked for it)!

Hope Odin's not reading this stuff.  He doesn't want off-topic!  But he is our very own inamorato.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 05:58:58 am by Qwerkey »

Offline _vince

• Seasoned Forum Regular
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2022, 09:49:27 am »
also I apologize for possibly distracting from great code translation!

possibly? you turned this thread into a Steve novel!

Offline CharlieJV

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2022, 09:55:05 am »
Yep, this post is definitely a Discussion item, so perhaps I was too precipitate in suggesting that it should be in Programs!

I'm just off to conjugate some Latin verbs with my Mistress.  I'll Master that damned subject yet - it's all a Mister-y to me (terrible pun, but you asked for it)!

Hope Odin's not reading this stuff.  He doesn't want off-topic!  But he is our very own inamorato.

"Mister-y".  Groan, but perfect.

That's the thing.  Who knows where a start of "Spinny Cube" will lead?  There's potential here for a "Mistress Algorithm".

Besides, a quirky side-trip to the far side, that's all about QB64 community networking / "team" building / gelling / group hugging (yeah, I'm a hugger) ...

Looking back now, maybe my OP was tragically MISTER-MED...